How to setup graphics card for HDMI sound splitter

donohue100

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
That doesn't appear to be a splitter. It says extractor. So it probably doesn't pass video signals. What are you trying to do exactly? Are you trying to send a signal to two separate components like to your tv then to a sound system? If that's the case a powered HDMI splitter rather then an audio extractor would be the thing to use.

Edit: something like this sounds like what you need.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270376

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I would say the thing you bought was the right thing, so I would say make sure your output is the same as your tv. Meaning find the native resolution of your tv if its an hd tv and make sure your refresh rate is at 60hz. Other wise you either dont have power to something or the device may be busted

donohue100

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Sorry i should explain better this is a powered hdmi splitter designed to split the audio off to a 5.1 amp. It should work the light changes colour and my upstairs monitor turns off as it should do but i get nothing on the second screen.

dingo07

Distinguished
if the thread description is exactly what you're trying to do - feed audio to 2 devices from your video card - then you're going about it the wrong way. Run the HDMI to the display as video only (if your display has speakers, then of course it will get the audo as well) and run either a Toslink or coax from your audio cards output (or IO panel 3.5mm connections) to your receiver

dingo07

Distinguished

explain to us exactly what you're trying to do - also give us all a clear picture of what and how you have things wired

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Wait, how long of a cable are you runing? Because these cables can only send a video feed over so many feet before you need a repeater

joesden

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
The problem is that there are tons of cheap products on the market that don't support EDID and HDCP which is a must for HDMI. If you are looking to display the same image on 2 monitors you need to get a good quality HDMI Splitter.