Antec High Current Gamer 520W VS XFX Core Edition PRO550W

DeusAres

Distinguished
The XFX has my vote. They are both similar in quality. There's really very little difference. I'd go with the XFX for its extra wattage.

Either of these PSUs could easily power an i5 + 7950 based rig.

sonicers

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I'd agree with DeusAres, although I'd add that XFX power supplies are Seasonic made, and Seasonic power supplies are arguably the BEST power supplies on the market.

So yeah, no brainer.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Yes!

An i5/7950 based rig typically draws just under 400 watts. I think with the last build I put together, its estimated wattage was 386 watts. 550 watts will be more than plenty. You'll be able to overclock, add some extra fans and storage drives; you could even add in some LEDs for bling if you want.

Here's a link...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nlbn

Look in the top right hand corner of the estimated wattage. You can click on the number to see how it was figured.

Sret43rg

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Also, judging by the reviews on newegg.com of the XFX PSU, they say that the cables are too short and im not very good at cable management and my case is the Cooler Master Elite 430 which doesnt have good cable management features, so would the Antec be better?

DeusAres

Distinguished
The Antec PSU has been discontinued on Newegg. I think you'd be ok with the XFX PSU. Cable management really isn't that hard. People make a big deal out of it for nothing. Just buy yourself some zip ties and have fun with it.

That case isn't very large, so cable length shouldn't matter too much. You should be able to cinch the cables down around the case enough to provide your case with adequate air flow.

Both the Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520 and XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition both use the same Seasonic S12II Bronze design.
So I'd say which ever is cheaper, unless the extra two years of warranty that the XFX has is important.

sonicers

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

They actually do, that was my bad, I thought he meant a different Antec power supply. I'd agree with Silvune, then, go with the one you like better, and whichever one you can find cheaper.

Sret43rg

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I know this is off topic but i am going to buy a Cooler Master Elite 430 case that comes with 1 fan because it is cheap and large but is 1 fan enough for decent airflow? If you could recommend a good case for around the same price that would be great (35-40 pounds or 50-60 usd)

DeusAres

Distinguished

I'd say the Cooler Master HAF 912 would be an amazing case for your needs.

COOLER MASTER HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912

sonicers

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
The NZXT Source 210 Elite comes with 3 fans and USB 3.0. It's a decent case for your needs, and is fairly cheap. It's well made in terms of build quality as well for it's price point. It's like 40 dollars right now, if I'm not mistaken.