Computer boots, but pitch black screen.

Hey;

Current computer specs:
Motherboard: Ipiel La3
CPU: I actually can't remember atm (I haven't touched it in months).
Power supply: Corsair TX650W
Graphics-card: GeForce GTX 460
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB)
SSD: OCZ Agility 3
Hard disk: I can't quite remember the name, but it's the only thing left from a shop-computer I bought some years ago.
OS: Windows Vista 64bit


Description:
So on Wednesday my computer suddenly shut down/crashed. When I tried turning it on again none of the fans (CPU fan & GPU fans) were moving (PSU fan was moving).
So it's the motherboard that's the problem, right?

Anyways, I took the current motherboard (P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3) out and replaced it with my old one (Ipiel La3). I then pressed the power button and everything ran as it should.

There is still one problem though, the screen is pitch black. I do believe that the computer is actually running because my SSD light is green and the HDD is moving.

I've tried changing the CMOS battery (+ some other "stupid" stuff), but that didn't help.

I hope somebody can help me, I appreciate your help and time.

Best regards.

- Marcus
10 answers Last reply
More about computer boots pitch black screen
  1. Did you try running it with the GeForce removed? According to the specs, that MB has integrated graphics. Just remember to move the VGA cable to the MB connector
  2. cmichael138 said:
    Did you try running it with the GeForce removed? According to the specs, that MB has integrated graphics. Just remember to move the VGA cable to the MB connector


    I just tried it, but after a few seconds it just shut down.
  3. Strange...have you tried running with 1 stick of memory.
  4. cmichael138 said:
    Strange...have you tried running with 1 stick of memory.

    I haven't tried that, but I have tried switching the ram sticks I have now with some old 2 x 4GB ram sticks.
  5. Did u can get to the bios ?

    Try disconnect the HDD/SSD first . see if it can enter the BIOS... (u will not able to enter the OS since the mobo is diffrent, it required to reinstall OS)

    Try to check voltage reading in the BIOS....
  6. rdc85 said:
    Did u can get to the bios ?

    Try disconnect the HDD/SSD first . see if it can enter the BIOS... (u will not able to enter the OS since the mobo is diffrent, it required to reinstall OS)

    Try to check voltage reading in the BIOS....


    I disconnected the HDD & SSD, but the screen was still pitch black :/
  7. Try replugging in the Motherboard's main power cable, maybe it got knocked loose.
    (Easier to check a cable just incase then to get a new motherboard)
  8. azathoth said:
    Try replugging in the Motherboard's main power cable, maybe it got knocked loose.
    (Easier to check a cable just incase then to get a new motherboard)

    I checked the cable, but it's still pitch black. The old motherboard was fine when I switched it, can it really have gone bad?
  9. sounds more like bad leg in the power supply.
  10. So with on board GPU still cannot start .... using 460 with old mobo still no response..

    as smorizio said it could be the PSU....
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer Motherboards Graphics