Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia Optimus Geforce 540m not detected anymore

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2012 7:59:30 PM

Hi,

My Laptop (Asus X53S) worked for half a year fine but after restarting today my Geforce 540m was not detected anymore, and as the laptop uses NVIDIA Optimus tech I was left with my onboard Intel HD Graphics 3000 video adapter.

The issue was, that the device disappeard completely from the control panel and my PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge was marked with the yellow problem sign due to code 37 (Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)).

When I now try to delete the drivers for the PCI and reinstall them, after restarting the Geforce 540m reappears with the yellow problem sign in the device manager as my second video adapter.

However, when I now reinstall the drivers (also clean) of the Nvidia Geforce 540m, no matter if I use the latest beta drivers or the latest regular ones, the installation is successful but after restarting the Geforce has disappeared again and the PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge has the Code 37 error in the device manager again.

Strangely, if I only reinstall the PCI drivers, the PCI keeps working properly even after a restart and only the Geforce is not working and is displayed with the yellow problem sign.

Any ideas how to fix this?
I tried to find out if the second graphic card is disabled (or the PCI) in BIOS, but to my shame I couldn't find anything even remotely close to this option. I tried to brute force it with setting all settings to default values in bios, but this didn't help either.

Also I should mention that a scan by "Everest" displays 2 times the intel graphic card as video adapter for some reason.

My system:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/15/2012, 22:01:39
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: K53SV
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/17/11 09:13:44 Ver: 04.06.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8102MB RAM

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_15F21043&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: LGD02DC
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.996Hz)
Output Type: Internal

September 26, 2012 4:38:52 PM

Dell XPS L502X

I've been trying to figure out why Skyrim won't recognize my Nvidia GT 540m in the launcher. In fact, I've been working on this diligently for 6 to 7 weeks. I tried all the usual suspects, including; changing the settings in the Nvidia control panel, editing the .ini files, etc. No matter what I tried it continued to show the Intel integrated graphics adapter. I was so upset that I considered buying a new laptop.

However, I came across a program called Skyrim Booster which contains a 93d9.dll load file. Well, being desperate, I put this file in my Skyrim directory and something very unusual occurred. When I loaded the launcher it showed a "Nvidia 8800 something or other" and not the Integrated graphics adapter. Hmmm, very interesting, why was this?

So I opened a Hex editor and ASCII searched the 93d9.dll for Nvidia and found the 8800 code. I switched this to my graphics adapter, the Nvidia GT 540m, saved the file.....and, wouldn't you know it, the launcher now shows my correct graphics card. Great, right?

The question I now have is Skyrim really using my Nvidia GT 540m? Anyone?

Thanks,

Jason
!