Sign in with
Your question

Unique Cases

Last response: in Systems
November 11, 2012 11:33:25 PM

I am looking for unique cases from Mini to Full Tower size. What makes are out there that make unique as well as quality cases?

Something that looks slick and minimal, not necessarily all black, perhaps something of a design object even from an artist. Wondering what is out there at what prizes. Thanks for any input.

More about : unique cases

November 11, 2012 11:50:59 PM

Silverstone Raven series (Full Towers). Rotated motherboard tray is pretty unique and is fairly minimalist in style.
http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/r-photo.ph...
Depends on which model in the series you get on how much it costs, though this one is ~$200.

BItfenix Prodigy (Mini ITX). Its tiny while still managing to pack a lot into it. Would make a great machine to have on the desk. Again, minimalist in style.
http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prod...
Usually ~$100.
November 12, 2012 12:13:07 AM

Damn, the BitFenix cases are impressive from the looks. I find the H2 quite pleasing as well, the white version especially.

Does the motherboard come into this vertically?

What about fitting a EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB graphics card in there? Would it work out?

Related resources
November 12, 2012 12:17:43 AM

If you like the look of the NZXT H2, have a look at Fractal Design. They pretty much only release cases that are similar in design and are packed with sound damping material.

See that fan in the back left of the case?
The motherboard lays horizontally just under that. You can fit a full length graphics card inside the case, though you will have to sacrifice those three drive bays to do so. You will still have two in there.
Heres a review of the case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXDgjVY_EI
November 12, 2012 1:40:36 AM

face palm just read minimal sorry not my department
November 12, 2012 1:50:20 PM

No worries, does not have to be minimal. I am just looking for cases that don't look just like any other case and have something special about their design regardless of features. If feature rich the better. Thanks for your links!
November 12, 2012 2:30:01 PM

Node 605 looks damn neat too I find. Is the board lying in there? How about a big graphics card like the EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB?

What I find particularly nice here is the fact that is has the little tray for the USB and optical drive closure, now that looks just like on a decent stereo, nice I find.

Would 2 or more SATA drive fit in there? Guess generally people would keep this on the desk itself, possibly with the monitor on top, thought I would find that terribly awkward to look at.

So perhaps integrate it with the rest of the stereo? Is this made for supporting weight on top? Just a few thoughts on the case.

November 13, 2012 12:33:41 AM

HTPC slim cases like this aren't recommended for gaming machines. Not enough airflow to deal with the amount of heat being kicked out of a GPU and CPU under load.

How many drives you can fit in will depend on how long the graphics card is.
November 13, 2012 12:52:49 AM

I was actually thinking about the airflow and thought that HTPC would not have such an issue with it.

The reason by this was that I think hot air rises, so if somehow fans could push the hot air upwards in its natural flow rather then sideways it could reach good cooling values.

However such a case does not exists as far as I know and my reason behind hot air rising might not be applied to cases. At least not where there is a board in its horizontal position inside.

Leaves me with, what HTPC case would support this setup or a rather large video card in general? Can HTPC generally support a high workload or are rather for simple video/audio playback with a little load? I would assume one can pack quite a powerful HTPC system together for gaming as well as normal use, however the heat might be an issue as mentioned. What cases would be for this scenario?

Apart from that I have been thinking about an aluminum case with a wooden workout, imagine how silent that would be, so a have a solid wooden coating as a mod perhaps. But yes for standard off the shelf cases this is not available.

What more is out there?
November 13, 2012 1:03:06 AM

You will have to downgrade your RAM. Intel systems arent supposed to handle RAM that runs above 1.5v, that runs at 1.6v. There is also little benefit to RAM faster than 1600Mhz CL9.
Dont think you would eb able to fit the Noctua in their either. Some mid-towers have issues with it.

Look at the Raven cases I showed earlier. The rotated motherboard tray allow for hot air to escape out the top.

As for HTPC style slim cases that are good for gaming, dont know any.

If your confident enough to mod a case to have a wooden shell, why not build a case outright? It seems to me that your going for a more design oriented or unique case rather than purely functional (though the hardware inside it is pretty beefy), from scratch case building is one way to do that.
!