Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Is my gpu dead?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 15, 2012 11:04:34 PM

So I got my 212+ finally, and I was doing some benchmarking on BF3 and 3dmark. I lef bf3 running on the campaign mode for about an hour to see what my max temps would be. I came back and the game was running at 40~ fps, then as soon as i walked foward, my computer froze, bf3 crashed, ctrl alt + delete wasn't responding, power button wouldnt turn off the computer, so I had to power off the psu. since then, Everything else on the computer seems to be running fine (fans turn on, lights work, etc...) but the gpu has no signs of being alive (fans dont spin, monitor is not getting a dvi signal) and I am very, very, concerned. I am wondering if this is the sign of a dead graphics card, and if so, what i did that would have killed it so fast (it is a 6850OC edition i put into my gaming rig about 8 months ago). I am going to bring it to my friends computer in about an hour to see if that gets it to work. If it doesnt work in another computer, does that mean for sure its dead? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-*** post.

More about : gpu dead

a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2012 11:13:57 PM

bobochez said:
So I got my 212+ finally, and I was doing some benchmarking on BF3 and 3dmark. I lef bf3 running on the campaign mode for about an hour to see what my max temps would be. I came back and the game was running at 40~ fps, then as soon as i walked foward, my computer froze, bf3 crashed, ctrl alt + delete wasn't responding, power button wouldnt turn off the computer, so I had to power off the psu. since then, Everything else on the computer seems to be running fine (fans turn on, lights work, etc...) but the gpu has no signs of being alive (fans dont spin, monitor is not getting a dvi signal) and I am very, very, concerned. I am wondering if this is the sign of a dead graphics card, and if so, what i did that would have killed it so fast (it is a 6850OC edition i put into my gaming rig about 8 months ago). I am going to bring it to my friends computer in about an hour to see if that gets it to work. If it doesnt work in another computer, does that mean for sure its dead? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-*** post.


If it doesn't work, then for sure it is dead...
Score
0
September 16, 2012 12:10:20 AM

Maxx_Power said:
If it doesn't work, then for sure it is dead...


lol well yeah, but I'm trying to figure out if its something with the pcie slots on my mobo or what or if its my gpu being poopy. I tried to put it in another computer but its a prebuilt HP POS so they don't have a pci power cable.
Score
0
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 1:00:48 AM

bobochez said:
lol well yeah, but I'm trying to figure out if its something with the pcie slots on my mobo or what or if its my gpu being poopy. I tried to put it in another computer but its a prebuilt HP POS so they don't have a pci power cable.


I guess you don't have another videocard to test the mobo with then ?
Score
0
September 16, 2012 1:08:14 AM

Maxx_Power said:
I guess you don't have another videocard to test the mobo with then ?


I might have an extra one from an old dell of mine, ill check
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 1:57:30 PM

bobochez said:
I might have an extra one from an old dell of mine, ill check


Try that first, it'll help you establish exactly what is malfunctioning (make sure the other GPU is also PCI-E).
Score
0
September 16, 2012 2:56:18 PM

could be a psu issue there. how many watts psu are you running? You might have stressed it and made it pop
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 4:28:15 PM

bobochez said:
So I got my 212+ finally, and I was doing some benchmarking on BF3 and 3dmark. I lef bf3 running on the campaign mode for about an hour to see what my max temps would be. I came back and the game was running at 40~ fps, then as soon as i walked foward, my computer froze, bf3 crashed, ctrl alt + delete wasn't responding, power button wouldnt turn off the computer, so I had to power off the psu. since then, Everything else on the computer seems to be running fine (fans turn on, lights work, etc...) but the gpu has no signs of being alive (fans dont spin, monitor is not getting a dvi signal) and I am very, very, concerned. I am wondering if this is the sign of a dead graphics card, and if so, what i did that would have killed it so fast (it is a 6850OC edition i put into my gaming rig about 8 months ago). I am going to bring it to my friends computer in about an hour to see if that gets it to work. If it doesnt work in another computer, does that mean for sure its dead? Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long-*** post.


If your 6850OC is dead, I would suspect overheating as a cause. If it is not dead, I'd be double sure about the temperatures by running OCCT and keeping an eye on the GPU temperatures (after making sure that the fan is still working okay). The other hypothesis is that your card simply had a manufacturing defect of sorts, and died short of its expected life span. I hope you still have warranty.

Sometimes, depending on case cooling, dust accumulation (pet hair, and dust bunnies especially), card design and ambient temperatures, a given video card will just over heat. Do you have a picture of your computer interior and the video card ? It would help a bit to get a visual of the setup.
Score
0
September 16, 2012 5:41:48 PM

Maxx_Power said:
If your 6850OC is dead, I would suspect overheating as a cause. If it is not dead, I'd be double sure about the temperatures by running OCCT and keeping an eye on the GPU temperatures (after making sure that the fan is still working okay). The other hypothesis is that your card simply had a manufacturing defect of sorts, and died short of its expected life span. I hope you still have warranty.

Sometimes, depending on case cooling, dust accumulation (pet hair, and dust bunnies especially), card design and ambient temperatures, a given video card will just over heat. Do you have a picture of your computer interior and the video card ? It would help a bit to get a visual of the setup.


I felt the gpu pcb after it was running without the monitor working for a bit and it was really hot... I would run tests but I cant see anything because monitor isnt getting a dvi signal. I will try and get a pic
Score
0
September 16, 2012 5:43:03 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Try that first, it'll help you establish exactly what is malfunctioning (make sure the other GPU is also PCI-E).


The old gpu from thw dell isnt pcie so i dont have a way to test that theory...
Score
0
September 16, 2012 6:13:45 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Best thing to do would be to test your GPU on another computer then.

Your GPU running very hot on the PCB to the touch is likely indicative of something wrong. Do you still have warranty ?


I might but not sure. I actually just talked with my girlfriend and she has a spare 5560 shes going to let me borrow, so I will test that on my computer in a couple hours when i get it.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 6:29:14 PM

bobochez said:
I might but not sure. I actually just talked with my girlfriend and she has a spare 5560 shes going to let me borrow, so I will test that on my computer in a couple hours when i get it.


Good, good. Let us know what is the result when you have done the test.

PS. Typically the warranty of GPUs is 3 years.
Score
0
September 16, 2012 6:35:42 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Good, good. Let us know what is the result when you have done the test.

PS. Typically the warranty of GPUs is 3 years.


Wow ok then, my warranty should be good then, ive only had it for less than a year.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 6:43:45 PM

bobochez said:
Wow ok then, my warranty should be good then, ive only had it for less than a year.


What's the brand and model ? Also do you still have your receipt ?
Score
0
September 16, 2012 7:28:56 PM

Maxx_Power said:
What's the brand and model ? Also do you still have your receipt ?


Its a gigabyte 6850 OC edition from amazon. Amazon stores reciepts im pretty sure so ill check. I plugged in the different gpu (5570 i think) and still no dvi signal.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 7:37:53 PM

bobochez said:
Its a gigabyte 6850 OC edition from amazon. Amazon stores reciepts im pretty sure so ill check. I plugged in the different gpu (5570 i think) and still no dvi signal.


Do you have an onboard video ? If so, try that... Hopefully it is not the board.
Score
0
September 16, 2012 7:48:17 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Do you have an onboard video ? If so, try that... Hopefully it is not the board.


No onboard video, I also tried a vga cable and still no signal. Im pretty sure the mobo is shot at this point.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 8:03:16 PM

bobochez said:
No onboard video, I also tried a vga cable and still no signal. Im pretty sure the mobo is shot at this point.


Seems very likely. Is that under warranty as well ?
Score
0
September 16, 2012 9:22:19 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Seems very likely. Is that under warranty as well ?

Nope ran out after 1 month
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 9:39:32 PM

bobochez said:
Nope ran out after 1 month


There was only 1 month of warranty on the motherboard or do you mean it just ran out 1 month ago ?

Score
0
September 17, 2012 12:10:27 AM

Maxx_Power said:
There was only 1 month of warranty on the motherboard or do you mean it just ran out 1 month ago ?


I phrased that badly... I meant it ran out about a month ago. It came with 6 months of warranty
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:19:43 AM

bobochez said:
I phrased that badly... I meant it ran out about a month ago. It came with 6 months of warranty


Ahh okay. 6 months sounds awfully short. What is the brand ? Is this a refurb unit ?

Anyways, if you run some tests and find out that your board is dead, perhaps we can recommend you a replacement...
Score
0
September 17, 2012 3:20:31 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Ahh okay. 6 months sounds awfully short. What is the brand ? Is this a refurb unit ?

Anyways, if you run some tests and find out that your board is dead, perhaps we can recommend you a replacement...


Its an asrock 970 extreme3. It was open box but not a refurb, and when I asked the people at fry's they said only the box was opened and it was fine. How would I run a test to see if my motherboard is dead?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 1:20:56 PM

bobochez said:
Its an asrock 970 extreme3. It was open box but not a refurb, and when I asked the people at fry's they said only the box was opened and it was fine. How would I run a test to see if my motherboard is dead?


Well, you need some spare parts to isolate the cause. So far you have tested with another GPU, so I'd suggest try another PSU. Those are the most obvious things remaining that can go wrong to cause the symptoms you observed.

What's your current make and model of PSU ?
Score
0
September 17, 2012 2:45:10 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Well, you need some spare parts to isolate the cause. So far you have tested with another GPU, so I'd suggest try another PSU. Those are the most obvious things remaining that can go wrong to cause the symptoms you observed.

What's your current make and model of PSU ?


Its a seasonic 620w
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 6:21:25 PM

bobochez said:
Its a seasonic 620w


Okay, that's a top tier power supply. I'd try another PSU anyway to make sure.

Also, try giving Asrock a call and see if there is any warranty left on the board. They may still grant you 3 year warranty regardless what the retailer said about the open box.

Score
0
September 18, 2012 12:10:58 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Okay, that's a top tier power supply. I'd try another PSU anyway to make sure.

Also, try giving Asrock a call and see if there is any warranty left on the board. They may still grant you 3 year warranty regardless what the retailer said about the open box.


ok I feel bad about giving you different ideas of whats wrong then changing it, but i just tried hooking up a different monitor to my laptop using the same VGA cord, and it isnt getting a signal either. am starting to think (and hope) that all thats wrong is that my DVI / vga cord has broken. This is still unclear to me though, as it would have to mean that both of my cables are broken and the same thing is happening on 2 monitors set up on different computers. I AM SO CONFUSED!?!?!? I am going to put the different monitor on my desktop computer and seee what happens. thank you very much for your help and patience with this!
Score
0
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 1:04:16 AM

This is why it pays to have a second or even a third rig on hand for backup and testing. When boards go they are pretty easy to isolate but I doubt that it is the psu. If all else you can take the card out and inspect for any burn marks or discolorations that suggest a hot spot. Was there any random lock ups or blue screens in the days or weeks before this? If there was then it suggests a power related failure and have gone through a few my self.

Put the card in the lower slot and give it a try. If that doesn't work get any old second hand card that uses pci-e and give it a try. That board might not boot the first and second time but it will eventually come back if there was a failure. I got the 990fx version of that asrock board and it took a few tries after a psu (nzxt hale-90 1kw) failed.
Score
0
September 18, 2012 2:04:49 AM

nforce4max said:
This is why it pays to have a second or even a third rig on hand for backup and testing. When boards go they are pretty easy to isolate but I doubt that it is the psu. If all else you can take the card out and inspect for any burn marks or discolorations that suggest a hot spot. Was there any random lock ups or blue screens in the days or weeks before this? If there was then it suggests a power related failure and have gone through a few my self.

Put the card in the lower slot and give it a try. If that doesn't work get any old second hand card that uses pci-e and give it a try. That board might not boot the first and second time but it will eventually come back if there was a failure. I got the 990fx version of that asrock board and it took a few tries after a psu (nzxt hale-90 1kw) failed.


I checked for marks on the pcb and on the heatsink but I don't see anything unusual. There were a few lock ups earlier when I was playing BF3 but they went away after about a day. The other gpu I tried was a pcie - powered card and still didn't work when i installed it in either pcie slot, so im going to rule out the power supply as a source of failure. My friend is going to bring my 6850 to his dorm to test it out and see if its my board not working. I would love to have multiple rigs, but I got no money :p  I can barely afford a new gpu or new motherboard as is, so another rig will have to wait.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 2:10:38 PM

bobochez said:
I checked for marks on the pcb and on the heatsink but I don't see anything unusual. There were a few lock ups earlier when I was playing BF3 but they went away after about a day. The other gpu I tried was a pcie - powered card and still didn't work when i installed it in either pcie slot, so im going to rule out the power supply as a source of failure. My friend is going to bring my 6850 to his dorm to test it out and see if its my board not working. I would love to have multiple rigs, but I got no money :p  I can barely afford a new gpu or new motherboard as is, so another rig will have to wait.


Once you have tested your GPU on your friend's computer, let us know. It is very conceivable that your motherboard has died.

Also, check into the warranty status with Asrock. They give 3 years, so I have no idea why the retailer was quoting you only 6 months. Perhaps there is more warranty to the board per Asrock...
Score
0
September 18, 2012 2:28:47 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Once you have tested your GPU on your friend's computer, let us know. It is very conceivable that your motherboard has died.

Also, check into the warranty status with Asrock. They give 3 years, so I have no idea why the retailer was quoting you only 6 months. Perhaps there is more warranty to the board per Asrock...


Ok I will call up asrock and ask them about the warranty.
Score
0
September 19, 2012 12:30:19 PM

Asrock hasnt returned my calls :/ 
Score
0
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 12:50:01 PM

Asrock sucks hard when it comes to customer support.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:11:46 PM

bobochez said:
Asrock hasnt returned my calls :/ 


There is no option to wait on the phone for a real person ? Or is their queue too long...
Score
0
September 21, 2012 4:03:41 AM

Maxx_Power said:
There is no option to wait on the phone for a real person ? Or is their queue too long...


I called up the sore I got it from and they said the guy I talked to was wrong, but they dont sell the 970 any more so they say they can give me money back if i give them the motherboard and a reciept, which I still thankfully have. I will test my graphics card this weekend and get a response :D 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 7:50:20 PM

bobochez said:
I called up the sore I got it from and they said the guy I talked to was wrong, but they dont sell the 970 any more so they say they can give me money back if i give them the motherboard and a reciept, which I still thankfully have. I will test my graphics card this weekend and get a response :D 


Sweetness! That is good service. Let me know how this turns out.
Score
0
September 23, 2012 12:52:58 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Sweetness! That is good service. Let me know how this turns out.


Gpu works in my friends computer!!! :D D im going to get an a99x evo probably
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 5:41:00 PM

bobochez said:
Gpu works in my friends computer!!! :D D im going to get an a99x evo probably


Sweetness! Congratulations for having this sorted out! Let me know how the a99x evo works out.
Score
0
September 24, 2012 4:01:11 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Sweetness! Congratulations for having this sorted out! Let me know how the a99x evo works out.


It works wonderfully! Thanks a million for all your help!! I got the new motherboard, installed it, and everthing went on and worked.
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 3:13:22 PM

bobochez said:
It works wonderfully! Thanks a million for all your help!! I got the new motherboard, installed it, and everthing went on and worked.


Glad to hear it. Cheers and enjoy it!
Share
September 24, 2012 4:38:48 PM

Best answer selected by bobochez.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 6:10:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!