Voltage For Graphics Card, Pin Connectioor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark0

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
My computer doesn't give enough voltage for about any video card that i want, presumably 40 watts, mine only pumps out 25-28

Ik know it's a home-business type computer but here's my question

I'm learning about computers and i was wondering if i get a video card with a pin connector, (that connects straight to the power supply, mine gives about 300 max, Will it still be able to run or is the motherboard the essential thing for the video card to get the volts.

Thank you :p

-Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok Some Of you Don't understand what im asking,my motherboard doesn't give enough wattage for the gpu requirements.
If i get a better power supply and a gpu that has pin connector will it receive more power thru pins with it connected to the psu?

Solution
Yes if u get better power PSU it will give better power supplayed,

if the card had external power connector it will draw directly from the PSU, and the draw from the mobo is minimal,

If the card don't had external power connector it will still draw its power from mobo, (usually from 4p / 8p atx mobo connector)

rdc85

Honorable
if it to PSU was to small (wattage) it could lead to more problems... (freezing, random reboot, etc..)

at worst some component can fail....

Make sure double check the requirement, also usually in PSU manufacturer website there is a power/psu calculator to help us determine the recommended wattage..

mark0

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Ok thank you, so I COULD get a video card that has a pin connector which will only work if the psu is good enough. The motherboard doesn't stand in the way if ruining the amount of volts/ watts needed to power the video card?

-Mark

mark0

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok Some Of you Don't understand what im asking,my motherboard doesn't give enough wattage for the gpu requirements.
If i get a better power supply and a gpu that has pin connector will it receive more power thru pins with it connected to the psu?

rdc85

Honorable
Yes if u get better power PSU it will give better power supplayed,

if the card had external power connector it will draw directly from the PSU, and the draw from the mobo is minimal,

If the card don't had external power connector it will still draw its power from mobo, (usually from 4p / 8p atx mobo connector)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.