Solved

New Gaming Rig

I've never built a computer before, and I've been wanting to for a while now. I've been saving up and my budget is around $1000, but there is some wiggle room. The computer is primarily for gaming, but I will also be using it for browsing the web and schoolwork of course. My friend helped me put this build together and I just wanted another persons opinion on it.

P.S. I already have a mouse and keyboard and I am going to be getting a case for free. Keep in mind I'm going to want to bring this over to friends house every once in a while.

Parts List http://pcpartpicker.com/p/noqr

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor- 89.99

MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard- 77.95

Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory- 14.64

Seagate Momentus 5400.6 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive- 50.98

Kingston HyperX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk- 96.21

Asus GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB Video Card- 290.00

Antec High Current Gamer 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply- 75.99

Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer- 16.99

LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer- 22.98

Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor- 2x 99.99

Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)- 99.99

Total- 1035.70

Any feedback would be appreciated
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. you can do much, much better for $1000:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
    Total: $996.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-11 23:45 EST-0500)


    this assumes you have a decent ATX case, since you said you were getting one free
  2. Best answer
    Never ever get an AMD CPU ever for anything. Intel just destroys them at every price point.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/noFq

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.86 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
    Total: $967.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-11 23:51 EST-0500)

    Get this build which is 10x better than your friend's build.

    Do you plan to Crossfire?
  3. cutebeans said:


    Do you plan to Crossfire?



    I'm pretty new to all of this PC building and stuff...

    What is crossfire?
  4. Eh I wouldn't disown an AMD CPU until we see the new benchmarks for Piledriver.
  5. ScrewySqrl said:
    you can do much, much better for $1000:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer S220HQLAbd 21.5" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
    Total: $996.89
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-11 23:45 EST-0500)


    this assumes you have a decent ATX case, since you said you were getting one free



    Thanks but I really need the dual monitors
  6. bigotothemax said:
    I'm pretty new to all of this PC building and stuff...

    What is crossfire?


    Using 2 video cards but don't worry with the 7870, you don't need to since it will max alot of games at 1600 x 900
  7. cutebeans said:
    Never ever get an AMD CPU ever for anything. Intel just destroys them at every price point.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/noFq

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.86 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
    Total: $967.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-11 23:51 EST-0500)

    Get this build which is 10x better than your friend's build.

    Do you plan to Crossfire?



    My friend said that he never heard of power color, and 430W isn't enough, it's cutting it way too close because I'm going to want to OC because the 7870/650Ti are only mid range cards.
  8. Well, the 7870 and 650Ti are nowhere near each other in terms of performance.

    And you should be fine if you get like the Corsair CX500.
  9. cutebeans said:
    Never ever get an AMD CPU ever for anything. Intel just destroys them at every price point.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/noFq

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.86 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Monitor: Acer S201HLbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($89.99 @ CompUSA)
    Total: $967.76
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-11 23:51 EST-0500)

    Get this build which is 10x better than your friend's build.

    Do you plan to Crossfire?



    The case I'm going to get is going to be a mid tower, so I don't need a micro motherboard.
    Also is it really possible to bring a mid tower over to another persons how without it being to much of a hassle?
  10. depends on the tower. I'd recommend one with a handle
  11. You can mount a micro in a standard ATX.
  12. Best answer selected by bigotothemax.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product