Sign in with
Your question

Ati driver issue I need fixed.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2012 3:56:25 AM

What's going on is, I can't access Catalyst Control Center. For some reason, it just became unresponsive a few months ago, and refused to open anymore. I didn't really care, because my games still worked, but it's getting to be an issue. I downloaded the latest versions of the CCC plus drivers and whatnot from the official AMD site, installed them, and nothing. I was advised to delete all pre-existing data from all folders having to do with AMD/ATI, and run driver sweeper, and ccleaner, and uninstall my video card in the device manager, and then reinstall the drivers. Did that, still couldn't access CCC. Because of that, I couldn't get my desktop resolution back to normal, so I did a system restore to before I uninstalled it all in the first place. Now, I still can't access CCC (and I don't think it's actually even there), and I get an error message about something every time the system boots up.

The situation as it is now: No CCC. I don't even have the option to open it in the desktop right click menu and, although it shows up in the official Programs List, the actual folder for it, that's supposed to be in the program files folder, does not exist. GPU-z recognizes my driver version as Catalyst 12.6. And I get this error message on Windows startup.

All I want, is the latest possible drivers, with a working CCC, so I can mess with hardware scaling and aspect ratio options, because a couple games have been not wanting to go full screen at less than native resolution. And, of course, no error messages on boot up would be great.

Computer specs: It's a Dell Studio XPS 17 laptop. About three years old. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, Core i5 m430, 4gb RAM Windows 7 64 bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm over my head at this point, and I haven't got any solutions that worked from the people I usually ask for advice.

More about : ati driver issue fixed

September 16, 2012 10:17:56 AM

shmimbadad said:
What's going on is, I can't access Catalyst Control Center. For some reason, it just became unresponsive a few months ago, and refused to open anymore. I didn't really care, because my games still worked, but it's getting to be an issue. I downloaded the latest versions of the CCC plus drivers and whatnot from the official AMD site, installed them, and nothing. I was advised to delete all pre-existing data from all folders having to do with AMD/ATI, and run driver sweeper, and ccleaner, and uninstall my video card in the device manager, and then reinstall the drivers. Did that, still couldn't access CCC. Because of that, I couldn't get my desktop resolution back to normal, so I did a system restore to before I uninstalled it all in the first place. Now, I still can't access CCC (and I don't think it's actually even there), and I get an error message about something every time the system boots up.

The situation as it is now: No CCC. I don't even have the option to open it in the desktop right click menu and, although it shows up in the official Programs List, the actual folder for it, that's supposed to be in the program files folder, does not exist. GPU-z recognizes my driver version as Catalyst 12.6. And I get this error message on Windows startup.
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q606/shmimbadad/moreshit.jpg

All I want, is the latest possible drivers, with a working CCC, so I can mess with hardware scaling and aspect ratio options, because a couple games have been not wanting to go full screen at less than native resolution. And, of course, no error messages on boot up would be great.

Computer specs: It's a Dell Studio XPS 17 laptop. About three years old. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670, Core i5 m430, 4gb RAM Windows 7 64 bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm over my head at this point, and I haven't got any solutions that worked from the people I usually ask for advice.

Sign in as administrator (If you are not administrator you may be blocked)
Close all the applications that are being used...save and close your files...
Turn Off the antivirus and firewall, turn off the functions of windows defender.
If you have multiple security programs installed, they must be turned ALL off. Security will prevent your driver from installing...
Download the latest CCC driver package, and save it to an easy location. Make sure this is the correct driver for your card.
Delete all the current AMD video software and drivers, restart the system (the video will look screwy, don't worry)
Now load install all the newest CCC drivers and restart the system (the driver will not work (yet) as you said, but load it anyway)
left click start
left click computer
right click C drive
Left click Open
Right click Users
Left click properties
"Check" mark the box that says: Attributes: "Hidden" (there is now a check-mark in the "Hidden" box)
Click: "Apply"
Now the system will apply the hidden attributes...and this will take a while, or maybe a long while. Let this proceed, and don't interrupt it...
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you do not have administrator privilege to the file you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK. Just click: "ignore all."
When this procedure is finished, click OK (the box will close after you click OK)
Now you will once again be looking at folders in C drive (don’t close the C drive window or you may regret it)
(once again) right click Users
(once again) left click properties
UN- check the box that says: Attributes "Hidden" (you will now take the check mark OUT, Hidden is no longer checked)
Click Apply
Now the computer will UN-apply the hidden attributes, and it may take a while, or a long while...but let it proceed, and finish, don't interrupt it.
During this procedure, a message may inform you that you are not the administrator of the file that you are trying to change the attributes of. That's OK, just click: "ignore all."
When this is completed click OK
Now close all windows and restart the computer
turn all the security back on.
At this point, the CCC should be functional. Open the CCC and test the functions...
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:57:08 PM

Didn't work. Although, that was the first time since I've been trying to fix this that I've uninstalled the drivers and been able to get back to exactly where I was already without a system restore. The drivers themselves seem to work fine, but still no CCC. Probably because the installer program from AMD.com refused to install it. I tried doing custom install of the catalyst package, and it showed Control Center in the list of programs, but it wouldn't even let me check it. It said it was already installed and working. It's definitely not. The program folder is not there, it's not in the programs list, every mention of it has been wiped from my registry. Know of an unofficial source where I might just get a straight up no bullsh!t download/install of Catalyst Control Center? Something that won't do a scan of the computer or anything, but just install what I want, when I tell it to?
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 5:17:51 PM

Yeah, windows 7 is all up to date. I haven't dowloaded any drivers but the ones that AMD tells me to, based on my video card. I just checked your links, and AMD has never directed me to those. I'll try it, see what happens.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:24:03 PM

Downloaded and installed that. All it gave me was another copy of the Catalyst Install manager which, again, refused to install Catalyst Control Center, insisting I already have it.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:28:33 PM

When you previously uninstalled Catalyst/the drivers, did you do it manually or use an application like Driver Fusion (replaced the old stand by Driver Sweeper)?

http://treexy.com/
m
l
September 18, 2012 6:59:56 PM

I have tried both. This most recent time I just did it manually.
m
l
September 18, 2012 7:49:59 PM

Have you tried to use the Catalyst install program to do an uninstall?
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:35:24 AM

Yup. before trying to install the new drivers last time, i had completely wiped everything having anything to do with AMD or ATI.
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:42:29 AM

I suspect that your registry has issues and there is no easy fix. Before you have to re-load the OS. Try this:

Go into Device Manager and find your Display Adapter. Select Update Driver Software. Go manual and force the use of the generic VGA adapter. Once complete, restart the system. Upon restart your system should detect a "new" video adapter and reinstall the drivers for it.

The intent is to correct the registry errors preventing the Catalyst install.

Worth a shot. Otherwise, you have a reload in your future.
m
l
September 19, 2012 4:46:55 AM

shmimbadad said:
Didn't work. Although, that was the first time since I've been trying to fix this that I've uninstalled the drivers and been able to get back to exactly where I was already without a system restore. The drivers themselves seem to work fine, but still no CCC. Probably because the installer program from AMD.com refused to install it. I tried doing custom install of the catalyst package, and it showed Control Center in the list of programs, but it wouldn't even let me check it. It said it was already installed and working. It's definitely not. The program folder is not there, it's not in the programs list, every mention of it has been wiped from my registry. Know of an unofficial source where I might just get a straight up no bullsh!t download/install of Catalyst Control Center? Something that won't do a scan of the computer or anything, but just install what I want, when I tell it to?

turn off ALL security and firewall.
Set the bios to boot the CD DVD drive first
put the windows 7 disk in the drive
start the computer
select upgrade
this reloads the OS without erasing your personal files or programs
restart
repeat the last procedure I gave you

forget the updates until you get CCC working
Updates really don't mean squat
infact I would turn the updates OFF
m