Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help me fix my wife's laptop wireless connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 30, 2011 10:04:30 PM

My wife has an aging latitude d820. It was having a few problems so I added memory, did a clean install of windows xp. The only thing that remains a problem is it keeps dropping the connection from our router. the other computers are fine so I am pretty sure it is not the router. According to the specs the only thing that looks like the wirelss card is listed as: Card, Network, Minicard, 3945ULD Dell Americas Organization. Two questions
1) is there a way to test it to make sure I need to replace it
2) Do I have to replace the minicard or can I just cheat and get her a USB or express card wireless adapter. I assume I will have to uninstall the card first if that is the case?
thanks all
adam

Best solution

December 1, 2011 5:49:38 AM

USB dongles are so inexpensive now that it's hardly worth thinking about opening the hatch to replace the wireless chip. You could get another one from Dell or e-Bay but simply leave it there, disable it in Device Manager and use an external.

December 3, 2011 12:26:07 AM

Just a thought:

Try updating the BIOS of this laptop. This might work. I had a similar issue once and updating BIOS fixed that.
Score
Related resources
December 3, 2011 1:19:59 PM

Best answer selected by madmonkeymusic.
Score
December 3, 2011 1:21:15 PM

Good Idea jsmakkar but I did that already and no luck. It was 8 rev's out of date though! LOL
Score
December 3, 2011 9:09:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!