Help me fix my wife's laptop wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmonkeymusic

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
My wife has an aging latitude d820. It was having a few problems so I added memory, did a clean install of windows xp. The only thing that remains a problem is it keeps dropping the connection from our router. the other computers are fine so I am pretty sure it is not the router. According to the specs the only thing that looks like the wirelss card is listed as: Card, Network, Minicard, 3945ULD Dell Americas Organization. Two questions
1) is there a way to test it to make sure I need to replace it
2) Do I have to replace the minicard or can I just cheat and get her a USB or express card wireless adapter. I assume I will have to uninstall the card first if that is the case?
thanks all
adam

Solution

USB dongles are so inexpensive now that it's hardly worth thinking about opening the hatch to replace the wireless chip. You could get another one from Dell or e-Bay but simply leave it there, disable it in Device Manager and use an external.

USB dongles are so inexpensive now that it's hardly worth thinking about opening the hatch to replace the wireless chip. You could get another one from Dell or e-Bay but simply leave it there, disable it in Device Manager and use an external.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS