[N/OWOD] Weird Idea- Morley Tobacco Company

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As cigarette sales fall and nicotene addiction treatment improves,
many large cigarette companies are investing in, paradoxically enough,
healthier cigarettes.

Morley is not one of those companies. A local brand with appeal
limited to the Appalachian region, Morley didn't have the research
capability or the finances to really change their formula. The Morley
family, having maintained control of the company since its founding in
1810, is a strange one. Family members have had ties to Theosophy,
Freemasonry, and even more isolated occult circles.

Including a vampire, who, in his mortal life, founded the company.
Later, after reaching old age, after having passed on control he was
sired by an Invictus vampire hoping he'd turn the company's profits
toward influence in the Appalachian region.

History proved the region a difficult one for Vampire society, and the
sire didn't manage to last past the Civil War. But Morley Tobacco
lasted, surviving sometimes only because of the business acumen of Old
Morley provided, though as economies became industrial and then
postindustrial he was more and more dependent on talented descendents.

One of those descendents, despairing at the soon-to-be-bankrupt
company and entirely familiar with Vampirism, hit upon an idea.

A few quiet contracts taken out, and he was discreetly provided with
four kidnapped vampires as test subjects.

It took him the first three to realize a vampire couldn't be
destroyed, or the blood bond would lose its addictive effect. But in
the end, he was successful. By draining a vampire of its blood, and
adding trace amounts to Morley cigarettes, he made them infinitely
more addictive without detectable cause. Morley sales skyrocketed, and
the company has begun to expand throughout the eastern United States.

Old Morley was initially opposed to the idea, but realized soon that
his descendent had the upper hand and that he would end up staked in a
vault underneath the company's main factory if he protested. Instead,
Old Morley's contacts amongst the vampire community have proven
invaluable in locating additional subjects; vampires who will not be
missed, vampires who have proven a problem or earned the emnity of
those in power.

Morley employs a six man team of (very well paid) freelance vampire
hunters for capture and containment, as well as four other
technicians, who handle the draining process. In addition to those,
Old Morley, the current head of the company (Jack Morley- a hard
hitting '80's style shark), there is a lawyer In the Know who assures
Morley Cigarettes is not legally culpable for large-scale kidnapping,
as Vampires have no legal status. Though the human-blood in their
cigarettes bit is probably going to get them in trouble.

While Morley has yet to come to the attention of any vampires
organized enough to retaliate- picking off the weak, ignored and
unloved, it's probably only a matter of time. Whether or not the
kindred who do find out just want in on the action or the cessation of
Morley's activities is a question to be answered.

(In the Old World of Darkness, Pentex is probably involved.)

Nick wrote:

> As cigarette sales fall and nicotene addiction treatment improves,
> many large cigarette companies are investing in, paradoxically enough,
> healthier cigarettes.

<snip>

Nice set up.

--
Jon
-----

Nice background and a tie-in to the X-Files as well; I wonder what the
Cigarette Smoking Man would do if he found out vampires ran Morley? 8->

Regards,

VFults wrote:

> Nice background and a tie-in to the X-Files as well; I wonder what the
> Cigarette Smoking Man would do if he found out vampires ran Morley? 8->

He'd get vamped by Morley and used to increase the production rate or something,
I imagine.

--
Jon
-----

VFults wrote:
> Nice background and a tie-in to the X-Files as well; I wonder what the
> Cigarette Smoking Man would do if he found out vampires ran Morley? 8->

He's probably in on it. It seems like he's in on everything that the
audience (and Mulder) aren't.