E10 vs. E300 vs. Nikon D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 23, 2005 5:02:42 AM

Hi Group,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Oly E10 even though it has a nice fast,
fixed F2 lens : Upgrade to the E300 because I don't like the sound of "dust
problems" ; D70 because it's a faster & possibly has a better lens than the
kit lens of the E300.

BUT, surely my lens on the E10 is better / faster than both kit lenses
on the D70 and E300 ?

Should I just stick with the E10 ? What troubles me is that saving pics
takes an age..and I miss moments.... so I'd like to upgrade.

It's E300 vs. D70, but that lens on the E300 is only F3.5 ! Too slow ?

Any opinions ? Should I wait or what ?
Thx,
Roland H
Bristol UK

More about : e10 e300 nikon d70

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:02:43 AM

"Roland Herrera" <wps@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Oly E10 even though it has a nice fast,
> fixed F2 lens : Upgrade to the E300 because I don't like the sound of
> "dust problems" ; D70 because it's a faster & possibly has a better lens
> than the kit lens of the E300.
>
> BUT, surely my lens on the E10 is better / faster than both kit lenses
> on the D70 and E300 ?
>
> Should I just stick with the E10 ? What troubles me is that saving pics
> takes an age..and I miss moments.... so I'd like to upgrade.
>
> It's E300 vs. D70, but that lens on the E300 is only F3.5 ! Too slow ?
>
> Any opinions ? Should I wait or what ?
> Thx,
> Roland H
> Bristol UK

No matter what body you move to, a product with a better value will come out
in 6 months or less. If you're satisfied with the performance you're getting
from your current camera, why not wait until something comes out at a
performance/value point that knocks your socks off? I wouldn't bale out of
a system because I *thought* it *might* develop a dust problem. The new
system *might* have one too, or *might* be defective out of the box, or just
*might* not work the way you'd hoped.

You can go broke chasing this technology.

KB
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 5:02:44 AM

"Kyle Boatright" <kboatright1@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Roland Herrera" <wps@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi Group,
>>
>> I'm thinking of upgrading my Oly E10 even though it has a nice fast,
>> fixed F2 lens : Upgrade to the E300 because I don't like the sound of
>> "dust problems" ; D70 because it's a faster & possibly has a better lens
>> than the kit lens of the E300.
>>
>> BUT, surely my lens on the E10 is better / faster than both kit lenses
>> on the D70 and E300 ?
>>
>> Should I just stick with the E10 ? What troubles me is that saving
>> pics takes an age..and I miss moments.... so I'd like to upgrade.
>>
>> It's E300 vs. D70, but that lens on the E300 is only F3.5 ! Too slow ?
>>
>> Any opinions ? Should I wait or what ?
>> Thx,
>> Roland H
>> Bristol UK
>
> No matter what body you move to, a product with a better value will come
> out in 6 months or less. If you're satisfied with the performance you're
> getting from your current camera, why not wait until something comes out
> at a performance/value point that knocks your socks off? I wouldn't bale
> out of a system because I *thought* it *might* develop a dust problem.
> The new system *might* have one too, or *might* be defective out of the
> box, or just *might* not work the way you'd hoped.
>
> You can go broke chasing this technology.
>
> KB
My sock have been knocked off so many times I finally got tired of being
barefoot and got the D70. I'm sure there will be something coming that will
knock my socks off again, but at some time you have to make a decision.
It's like the guy who's been waiting for 3-D TV. I'm sure it's coming, but
meanwhile he still doesn't have a TV. And, BTW, my D70 seems to be keeping
my feet nice and warm, and probably will for a long time. My main reason
for the decision was I already had a lot of Nikon lenses that would work on
the D70, and the absence of shutter lag is fantastic.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 23, 2005 5:10:43 AM

Roland Herrera wrote:

> Any opinions ?

Find a shop that will let you go outside (and maybe shoot a few inside with
and without a flash) and shoot some pictures on your OWN CF card, then have
prints made or make some at home and see if they look better than what you
have now. Then look at the features like no dust issues with the E300 or
the use of legacy lenses with the nikon or canon etc and decide for
yourself.

Other things to consider are, how easy it is to manually focus on the
supplied focus screen, do you like the control layout, are the
features/adjustments you'd most likely use often easy to adjust or are they
burried 3 menues deep, does it have DOF preview that's easy to use if you
like that feature etc etc. Think about what features you use most of the
time now and how it works on the replacement or what you hate about the old
one and if it's "fixed". Do you want to do a lot of low light shooting with
no flash? Then high ISO performance is important. If you think you'll be
changing lenses a lot in the field, the "dust buster" on the OM cameras
might be important to you. Some let you use the small on camera flip up
flash and a dedicated external, adjust the balance between the two using
one as a bounce and one as a fill, that's very handy and I use that
"feature" a lot. Lots of things to think about that only you can decide
which ones are important to you.

Also look at the lens lineup and see if they have your needs covered or not.
You might not buy extra lenses now but might need to in the future. None of
the "kit" lenses perform as well as what the camera can produce with better
optics.

Each person has an answer for -themselves-, doesn't mean it's right for you.

--

Stacey
February 23, 2005 5:48:08 AM

Roland,

You've the crux of the issue in "I miss moments". The kit lenses are
irrelevant. Get the right body & consider you lens choice as a sep decision.

Regards

DM

"Roland Herrera" <wps@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> I'm thinking of upgrading my Oly E10 even though it has a nice fast,
> fixed F2 lens : Upgrade to the E300 because I don't like the sound of
> "dust problems" ; D70 because it's a faster & possibly has a better lens
> than the kit lens of the E300.
>
> BUT, surely my lens on the E10 is better / faster than both kit lenses
> on the D70 and E300 ?
>
> Should I just stick with the E10 ? What troubles me is that saving pics
> takes an age..and I miss moments.... so I'd like to upgrade.
>
> It's E300 vs. D70, but that lens on the E300 is only F3.5 ! Too slow ?
>
> Any opinions ? Should I wait or what ?
> Thx,
> Roland H
> Bristol UK

February 23, 2005 12:52:42 PM

why not the 350D ?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:18:37 PM

Thanks for some good answers there,

The 2 main issues are still quality ; is the D70 so much better than the
E300 ? And the dust on sensor... how much of a nuissance is this ? A better
quality picture full of dust is probably not going to be a better picture
after all. Maybe I could keep the kit lens on all the time... ?

I agree I need to try each camera more. As for examples, I've downloaded
loads for each Camera... they all seem fine by me....

Anyway folks,
thanks for feedback,
Roland

> Roland Herrera wrote:
>

>> Any opinions ?
>>

> Find a shop that will let you go outside (and maybe shoot a few inside
> with
> and without a flash) and shoot some pictures on your OWN CF card, then
> have
> prints made or make some at home and see if they look better than what you
> have now. Then look at the features like no dust issues with the E300 or
> the use of legacy lenses with the nikon or canon etc and decide for
> yourself.
>
> Other things to consider are, how easy it is to manually focus on the
> supplied focus screen, do you like the control layout, are the
> features/adjustments you'd most likely use often easy to adjust or are
> they
> burried 3 menues deep, does it have DOF preview that's easy to use if you
> like that feature etc etc. Think about what features you use most of the
> time now and how it works on the replacement or what you hate about the
> old
> one and if it's "fixed". Do you want to do a lot of low light shooting
> with
> no flash? Then high ISO performance is important. If you think you'll be
> changing lenses a lot in the field, the "dust buster" on the OM cameras
> might be important to you. Some let you use the small on camera flip up
> flash and a dedicated external, adjust the balance between the two using
> one as a bounce and one as a fill, that's very handy and I use that
> "feature" a lot. Lots of things to think about that only you can decide
> which ones are important to you.
>
> Also look at the lens lineup and see if they have your needs covered or
> not.
> You might not buy extra lenses now but might need to in the future. None
> of
> the "kit" lenses perform as well as what the camera can produce with
> better
> optics.
>
> Each person has an answer for -themselves-, doesn't mean it's right for
> you.
>
> --
>
> Stacey
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:32:41 PM

Roland Herrera <wps@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> The 2 main issues are still quality ; is the D70 so much better than the
> E300 ?

While I haven't used the E300, I can say that the D70 is extremely good,
and I would expect it to be better based on what I've read about the E300.

> And the dust on sensor... how much of a nuissance is this ?

Almost zero. Not worth worrying about.

> Maybe I could keep the kit lens on all the time... ?

If you're planning on the kit lens, Nikon's is very good, much better than
you would expect for the price. I'd recommend it unless you want to spend
a lot more money on something like the 17-55 f/2.8. But you won't want to
keep it on all the time -- that would be too limiting -- and you certainly
shouldn't do so out of worries about dust.

The dust is going to happen anyway, even if you don't change lenses, and
when it does, you blow it out. It's really no big deal. People spend a
lot of time talking about the best way to do it, but you shouldn't take
that as an indication that it's such a huge problem -- it's just that we
want to get it right. :)

At this level, though, you might want to look at the new Canon 350D. I'm
not a Canon user and haven't seen this camera, but it looks really nice,
and if you don't have a bunch of lenses from any particular manufacturer,
it would be worth looking at the Canon as well as the Nikon at this point
(especially since your decision will likely stick with you for a while).

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
February 24, 2005 4:08:14 AM

Roland Herrera wrote:

> Thanks for some good answers there,
>
> The 2 main issues are still quality ; is the D70 so much better than
> the
> E300 ?

If you're interested, email me and I can send you a couple of shots to
print. Do the same with the D70 from someone else. It's still much better
IMHO to find a shop to try both yourself and compare.

> And the dust on sensor... how much of a nuissance is this ?

Depends on how often you change lenses and if you only change them in a
"safe" place etc.

> Maybe I could keep the kit lens on all the time... ?

Kinda defeats the purpose of a dSLR doesn't it?

> I agree I need to try each camera more. As for examples, I've downloaded
> loads for each Camera... they all seem fine by me....

When I did this test, there really wasn't much difference in the shots I
took and printed. I liked the color rendition in some of them better than
others and other subjective stuff which some people may have picked
something else? I don't think anyone but you can decide what would work
=best= for you.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

ye of course,
the 350d
but when will it be in the shops ?
I guess d70 otherwise
I did look at the digilux 2 Leica / Panasonic... but small sensor with
excessive noise puts me off.
------------
Well thanks for the encouragement...

Roland H
Bristol UK

"Chuck" <nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote in message
> why not the 350D ?

February 24, 2005 11:24:20 AM

Roland,
One thing to take into consideration, faster lenses are not always
better lenses, just faster. Like the Nikkor 50/1.8D. It is better than
the 3 times more expensive than the Nikkor 50/1.4D. Now if you need to
shoot at f/1.4, then you need to, but faster is not always better, just
faster. It takes far better glass and more complex systems to make a
faster lens, great. So, the fact that the 18-70 kit lens is not as fast
as the e10 f/2 lens doesn't mean that much, unless you always shoot at
f/2. But at f/5.6 I would put money on that 18-70 lens being just as
good, if not better than the E10 lens. To answer your question. The
D70, with a great lens is awesome.

JR
February 24, 2005 12:10:15 PM

in shop around march 20 .
February 26, 2005 4:50:59 PM

"JR" <jrhone@mac.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Roland,
> One thing to take into consideration, faster lenses are not always
> better lenses, just faster. Like the Nikkor 50/1.8D. It is better than
> the 3 times more expensive than the Nikkor 50/1.4D. Now if you need to
> shoot at f/1.4, then you need to, but faster is not always better, just
> faster. It takes far better glass and more complex systems to make a
> faster lens, great. So, the fact that the 18-70 kit lens is not as fast
> as the e10 f/2 lens doesn't mean that much, unless you always shoot at
> f/2. But at f/5.6 I would put money on that 18-70 lens being just as
> good, if not better than the E10 lens. To answer your question. The
> D70, with a great lens is awesome.
>
> JR

I had an Oly E20 (still do) and found it to be extremely tough and reliable.
After reading up on the Nikon D70, Canon d-Rebel, and the Oly e300, I chose
the e300 because the controls felt comfortable and familiar. I was using it
intuitively within minutes. I also purchased the 50-200mm f 2.8 and the 50
mm f 2.0 macro. After a month and several thousand pictures taken in
terrible (9 degrees F and 50 mph wind while snowing of high surf) and fair
weather I am very satisfied. In my opinion Oly makes a tough product, I use
mine on construction sites, so far no problems. BTW I never shoot above ISO
400.
EDS
!