Sign in with
Your question

First Time Build (AUS ~$1200)

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2012 9:48:48 AM

G'day!
Looking to build my first computer ever and about to purchase parts and would love some advice from what i can see to be a very friendly and helpful forum. Done some research myself and have a list of what I but with just as many questions as well. Would love some advice, help or some feedback on the build I have so far.
Sorry if the post is long or I did something wrong in my post.

The help would be greatly appreciated!!

Approximate Purchase Date:
This/Next week.

Budget Range:
$1000-$1200.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Gaming, Sound, Movies, Web Browsing.

Are you buying a monitor:
No but yes...
Currently have a ASUS VS229, but will be looking for another monitor further down the track (primary or secondary) so a suggestion would be great there.

Melbourne Australia. Eastern Suburbs. Any good sites/store would be a great help too.

Do you need to buy OS:
Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Been using, http://www.staticice.com.au/index.html, and taking lowest pricing (will be the price listed below; I know i may not get that price).

Parts Preferences:
None really.

Overclocking:
Yes later.

SLI or Crossfire:
Have not looked into it.

Your Monitor Resolution:
1920x1080.

Current parts list:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k - $218.

MB: Asus P8Z11-V-LX - $126.

GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 7870 - $249. ~Not sure on brand but know I want the 7870 Based on Tom's Hardware Article
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

RAM: G.Skill RipJaw 2x4GB - $40. ~Will add another (most likely) 2x4 later.

SSD: Agility 3 120GB - $85. ~Based on Tom's Hardware Article, boot drive + couple of games.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-...

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB - $65. ~Would love black and maybe more storage, but do not have infinite money :( 

PSU: Corsair HX 650 - $122. ~Do I need more power?

CASE: Corsair 300r w/ Window - $108. ~Bit expensive given the build price, but i have to look at it on my desk.

Sound Card: Xonar DG - $28. ~For Bose AE2 Headphones.

Total of $1,152.00

Last questions I promise (for now):
What wireless card can you recommend? I will be about 5 metres from the wireless router, for now that is.

Is internet over power a cheeper slash more cost effective way of doing things?

When i do decide to overclock, which cpu cooler would you recommend? the h100 looks pretty good based on performance and sound output.

Thanks again for the help, Luke.

More about : time build aus 1200

November 12, 2012 11:50:07 AM

A couple of observations.

I take it you mean Asus P8Z77-V LX, for mobo. Whilst it has the advantage of Asus quality, it is their "budget" board, and has limited performance/features. The LX, whilst it will give auto overclocking, is not sophisticated, in that respect. You wouldn't be able to achieve the sort of overclocks, that would justify using a high performance liquid cooler. I would suggest the air cooler CoolerMaster Hyper 212Evo, is very good value, and would be more than adequate.
You query whether 650w is adequate for PSU. It's more than adequate, for a single GPU, 550w would be fine. You are a bit vague as to whether you want to allow for 2 GPUs in crossfire. You would need slightly more power, for that, and I would have recommended 750w, if you wanted that capability. HOWEVER, crossfire support (or at least good crossfire support), is one of the things lacking from the LX mobo. You need to decide whether you want to stick with a budget Asus mobo, and accept its limitations, or change mobo. Something like ASRock Z77 Extreme4 has most of the full features possible, for around the same price, although it has to be said, not really Asus quality. Alternatively, you could pay a bit more for performance AND features/quality, with something like Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, or of course the excellent Asus P8Z77-V.

Your link for the GPU doesn't work, but Asus are OK for GPUs, although I would prefer MSI TwinFrozr, or their PowerEds. XFX do some good, low cost GPUs.
m
l
November 13, 2012 6:13:33 AM

Thanks for the response Malbluff.
Crossfire i have no read up on a whole lot, decided early on that i would not have the funds to do such a thing, but having the option further down the line would be great (would it not?)

Could i ask the difference between the Asus P8Z77-V- LX and LK, would the LK be sufficient for overclocking and again the possibility of crossfire. Would I have to fork out the extra 50-60 bucks for the better boards (would love the build quality of Asus/gigabyte).

Thanks again, Luke.
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:54:56 AM

The LX is the basic board, with limited crossfire support, and less sophisticated overclocking. The LK gives better crossfire support. The LE gives better overclocking. You need to go to the plain "V", or something like the Gigabyte, to get the best of both, with high quality. The ASRock is quite capable, in both respects, though doesn't have the quality, of Asus or Gigabyte.
It depends what you really need. Something like LK will give you crossfire, and reasonable auto overclock. It's only if you want to get "clever", with OC, and "push the boundaries", that you NEED more. I only really raise it, as, whilst one can argue the merits of liquid cooling, there really is no point in a H100 if you can't use it's performance. Makes MUCH more sense just to use a modest air cooler, like the good 212Evo, for less than half the price of H100.
m
l
!