Great deal on Crucial M4 128gb SSD at Newegg!

game junky

Distinguished
In all sincerity, that's not a great deal when you consider the average deal on a Samsung 830. Much higher quality drive - I have used both in a number of builds, and the Samsung is better without contest. Are there (mildly) faster drives, yes. Are there more reliable drives, not really. My next build that has a SATAIII port will be a Samsung 840 Pro - just plain ridiculous stats.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

It takes a bit of attention to deiced what goes on where when using a small(er) SSD and TB+ platter. However, if I were you I'd pick up an SSD as soon as possible. I'd put money on you'll wish you'd done it sooner as soon as you have it setup. I can't go back, all of my PC's and lappys are SSD based now.

game junky

Distinguished

You really have that many programs files? I use a 180GB and it's got plenty of breathing room. You can always install programs that don't need the speed to an alternative drive. Or if you want everything on the c:\ you could use a RAID config if your BIOS/Mobo support it.

Yea.. And this is including the fact that I have 2x 2TB drives for bulk storage. Between my program files and games, and anything else that incidentally might be on my 500 GB main drive, my available space is 200GB ish atm. I don't ever want to have to sacrifice an installed program on my main drive. While some of the games are ones I no longer play, removing them when I might get an interest in them again is an annoyance I don't want.

RAID is something I have considered, I'm not ready to drop the cash on an SSD yet though. Yes, they've gone down a lot in the last 8 months, just not yet for me.