Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

7870 Crossfire or New GPU

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Crossfire
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 16, 2012 9:17:53 AM

Hey wassup guys. I have a computer with a Gigabyte 7870. I am wondering if I should get another 7870 for crossfire or just buying a MSI 660 ti. Here are my specs.

P8Z77-V LX MOBO
16GB Ballistix RAM
Intel Core i5 3550 3.3 GHz
Antec HCG 750W PSU

Thanks for your time! :D 

More about : 7870 crossfire gpu

a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 9:34:16 AM

Why would you do that is the 7870 not giving you the performance you want?
Also going from a 7870 to a 660 ti isn't worth the money IMO, your basicly paying $300+ for around the same performance + Physx yuck =(

If you need more performance go for another 7870.
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 9:39:55 AM

snipersam15 said:
Why would you do that is the 7870 not giving you the performance you want?
Also going from a 7870 to a 660 ti isn't worth the money IMO, your basicly paying $300+ for around the same performance + Physx yuck =(

If you need more performance go for another 7870.


So how much more performance would I get?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 131 U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 9:40:41 AM

Crossfire your 7870. The 660Ti is only a small step up in performance, not worth dropping $300 for.
Going dual crossfire is a much more cost efficient way to increase performance.

Dual Crossfire MSI Hawk HD7870 (your results should be roughly the same) in BF3.
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/MSI-R7870-H...

660Ti Battlefield 3 performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...
Share
a c 186 U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 9:41:59 AM

The 660 TI is only 10-15 percent better than a 7870 i wouldn't do it i would just wait till you have enough money to buy a 7970 or a gtx 670 Quote:
"As it stands, AMD’s position correctly reflects their performance; the GTX 660 Ti is a solid and relatively consistent 10-15% faster than the 7870, while the 7950 is anywhere between a bit faster to a bit slower depending on what benchmarks you favor. Of course when talking about the 7950 the “anything but equal” maxim still applies here, if not more so than with the GTX 670. The GTX 660 Ti is anywhere 50% ahead of the 7950 and 25% behind it, and everywhere in between.Coupled with the tight pricing between all of these cards, this makes it very hard to make any kind of meaningful recommendation here for potential buyers. Compared to the 7870 the GTX 660 Ti is a solid buy if you can spare the extra $20, though it’s not going to be a massive difference. The performance difference is going to be just enough that AMD is going to need to trim prices a bit more to secure the 7870’s position."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-...
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 9:44:43 AM

snipersam15 said:
from another 7870? or a 660 ti compared to 1 7870?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/MSI-R7870-H...

BF3 crossfire benchmarks no Nvidia comparison on the graph but it will give you the idea of the increase form adding another card.


2 7870s. Would I get 2x the frames?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 9:49:34 AM

trojan1107 said:
2 7870s. Would I get 2x the frames?


Completely depends on the game but in most games that aren't being bottlenecked by other hardware, the 7870 scales extremely well, not 2x but a very significant increase for sure.
m
0
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 9:50:04 AM

Theoretically yes.
But you will never get 100% performance scaling due to the imperfect drivers,small inconsistencies between cards and the game itself may just not like Crossfire/SLI. But you will see a big performance boost from having two GPU's.

Though unless you have a 120hz monitor, or three monitors in Eyefinity, the majority of that performance will be wasted. For 1080p 60hz gaming, Crossfire/SLI is pointless.
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 10:04:21 AM

snipersam15 said:
Completely depends on the game but in most games that aren't being bottlenecked by other hardware, the 7870 scales extremely well, not 2x but a very significant increase for sure.


I'll be playing games like BF3, CSS, Crysis 2,etc. Thanks for the help!
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 10:05:22 AM

manofchalk said:
Theoretically yes.
But you will never get 100% performance scaling due to the imperfect drivers,small inconsistencies between cards and the game itself may just not like Crossfire/SLI. But you will see a big performance boost from having two GPU's.

Though unless you have a 120hz monitor, or three monitors in Eyefinity, the majority of that performance will be wasted. For 1080p 60hz gaming, Crossfire/SLI is pointless.


I'm not getting atleast 60 FPS in BF3 and thats what i'm trying to achieve.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 10:12:25 AM

Look at the graph I showed you if you get another and crossfire you will get 130+fps and a minimum of 60+, This IMO is a bit overkill but who cares your set for the future baby!!!
m
0
l
September 16, 2012 10:14:30 AM

Ok the guy manofchaulk said any gaming at 60 hz 180 sli crossfire is worthless aparently has never run sli or cross cause on my monitor when i run one gpu vrs 2 the diffrences is like 30 to 50 or more frames per sec diffrence
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 10:28:06 AM

robustus64 said:
Ok the guy manofchaulk said any gaming at 60 hz 180 sli crossfire is worthless aparently has never run sli or cross cause on my monitor when i run one gpu vrs 2 the diffrences is like 30 to 50 or more frames per sec diffrence


Yeah only half of that is true if your not getting a good 30-60 fps average with the minimum never going below 30fps, SLI and crossfire are usually a good option unless the fps gains are minimal/not worth the cost.

Which is completely not the case here since crossfire is the best option for the price/performance.
m
0
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 10:42:46 AM

If you exceed 60FPS on a 60Hz monitor, the monitor will become a bottleneck, and you will only see 60FPS, regardless of how many frames the GPU/s is actually pushing.

Considering that according to the PcPer review that has been brought up twice now, a single 7870 will get a min of 51FPS in BF3 with near everything turned up. You are already approaching the max FPS the monitor will support. Doubling the performance by going Crossfire will only lead to a 9FPS performance boost that you can actually see. Average frames were already being bottlenecked by a 60Hz monitor, with dual cards you are supplying almost double the FPS the monitor can handle.

What I said was true, the majority of the performance boost will be wasted unless you have a 120Hz monitor or an Eyefinity setup.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 10:51:03 AM

manofchalk said:
If you exceed 60FPS on a 60Hz monitor, the monitor will become a bottleneck, and you will only see 60FPS, regardless of how many frames the GPU/s is actually pushing.

Considering that according to the PcPer review that has been brought up twice now, a single 7870 will get a min of 51FPS in BF3 with near everything turned up. You are already approaching the max FPS the monitor will support. Doubling the performance by going Crossfire will only lead to a 9FPS performance boost that you can actually see. Average frames were already being bottlenecked by a 60Hz monitor, with dual cards you are supplying almost double the FPS the monitor can handle.

What I said was true, the majority of the performance boost will be wasted unless you have a 120Hz monitor or an Eyefinity setup.


^ Completely and totally correct, only variable is what fps are you getting Trojan?
What monitor do you have and are you running eyefinity?
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 2:51:32 AM

snipersam15 said:
^ Completely and totally correct, only variable is what fps are you getting Trojan?
What monitor do you have and are you running eyefinity?


I'm getting about 50-80 FPS and I currently have a Samsung Syncmaster 220wm 22"
m
0
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:35:41 AM

If this is your monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-220WM-LCD-Moni...

Then getting Crossfire/SLI is made even more pointless, its only 1680x1050 resolution. Chances are your 7870 is already being bottle-necked by the monitor.

If your going to upgrade your graphical performance, your first step is a new monitor. According to that PcPer review, you will only get a 2FPS difference by upgrading.

Also what are you playing to get a min 50FPS?, my 7870 is doing that in Crysis 2, everything Ultra, DX11 and high res texture pack @1080p. I cant think of a more stressful game than maybe BF3, and not by much.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 4:19:11 AM

manofchalk said:
If this is your monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-220WM-LCD-Moni...

Then getting Crossfire/SLI is made even more pointless, its only 1680x1050 resolution. Chances are your 7870 is already being bottle-necked by the monitor.

If your going to upgrade your graphical performance, your first step is a new monitor. According to that PcPer review, you will only get a 2FPS difference by upgrading.

Also what are you playing to get a min 50FPS?, my 7870 is doing that in Crysis 2, everything Ultra, DX11 and high res texture pack @1080p. I cant think of a more stressful game than maybe BF3, and not by much.


Can you recconmend a monitor for me please? Something that is not too expensive like 100 -150 maybe or higher.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:21:44 AM

manofchalk said:
If this is your monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-220WM-LCD-Moni...

Then getting Crossfire/SLI is made even more pointless, its only 1680x1050 resolution. Chances are your 7870 is already being bottle-necked by the monitor.

If your going to upgrade your graphical performance, your first step is a new monitor. According to that PcPer review, you will only get a 2FPS difference by upgrading.

Also what are you playing to get a min 50FPS?, my 7870 is doing that in Crysis 2, everything Ultra, DX11 and high res texture pack @1080p. I cant think of a more stressful game than maybe BF3, and not by much.



^ I agree 50-80fps at that resolution, why do you even want an upgrade? Wait till you actually need more performance, the only game that I see that might need to get another 7870 for would be Crysis 3 and you might not even need to considering that low res monitor.

Stick with your 7870 and get another one when your min fps is consistently dropping below playable frame rates, lets say like below 30.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 4:24:10 AM

snipersam15 said:
^ I agree 50-80fps at that resolution, why do you even want an upgrade? Wait till you actually need more performance, the only game that I see that might need to get another 7870 for would be Crysis 3 and you might not even need to considering that low res monitor.

Stick with your 7870 and get another one when your min fps is consistently dropping below playable frame rates, lets say like below 30.


Okay. What monitor is good?
m
0
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:27:24 AM

I will admit im not all that knowledgable when it comes to monitors, I know the basics of what to look for but beyond that I don't know what separates a decent from a great monitor.

Asus VE228H 21.5". $145 ($10 rebate available)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Thats 1920x1080, 5ms response time, has the usual inputs. Seems to be a good monitor. Even has 100mm VESA mounting.

Also, even with this 1080p monitor, Crossfire/SLI is still a waste.
m
0
l
a c 131 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 4:44:55 AM

Good luck on a $150 budget. Finding a 1080p monitor of decent size was hard enough.
m
0
l
September 17, 2012 5:21:35 AM

manofchalk said:
Good luck on a $150 budget. Finding a 1080p monitor of decent size was hard enough.


Yeah they are all like $500. Maybe 1 7870 is good enough. :pfff: 
m
0
l
September 27, 2012 2:18:24 AM

Best answer selected by TRoJAN1107.
m
0
l
!