Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this a good gaming PC build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 12, 2012 12:53:33 PM

Hey all, so I have decided to build my own gaming PC, it is my first ever time building my own so I am just a little unsure if these parts will work together and if it's all compatible. Is this a good build, and is there any suggestions for changes? Thanks for all advice.

COMPUTER:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 @ £75.98
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W @ £159.95
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP...

Video Card: AMD Radeon 7850 Graphics @ £149.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11200-14-20G-Card-HD78...

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 @ £32.63
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00339X1EM/ref=ox_sc...

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 @ £34.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OEDJTI/ref=ox_sc...

Power Supply: XFX Core Edition PRO650W 650W @ £69.98
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

DVD Rom Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner @ £15.99
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IKS7AU/ref=ox_sc...

CPU Cooler: Stock fan @ £0.00

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 @ £59.99
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD...

Subtotal: £599.54

More about : good gaming build

November 12, 2012 1:02:35 PM

No thats bad.
Related resources
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 1:29:35 PM

It looks reasonable and compatible to me.
Here are my thoughts:

1. As a rule, the graphics card is more important than the cpu. If you can spend double the cost of your cpu on the graphics card, you would have a better gaming pc.

2. Without an aftermarket cpu cooler, you will be limited on how much you can OC the 3570K.
A cm hyper212 is not expensive, and will do the job.

Or, if you will not overclock, perhaps a i5-3450 would let you spend more on the graphics card.
That would open the door for using a cheaper motherboard w/o overclocking support.



Anonymous
November 12, 2012 1:48:48 PM

geofelt said:
It looks reasonable and compatible to me.
Here are my thoughts:

1. As a rule, the graphics card is more important than the cpu. If you can spend double the cost of your cpu on the graphics card, you would have a better gaming pc.

2. Without an aftermarket cpu cooler, you will be limited on how much you can OC the 3570K.
A cm hyper212 is not expensive, and will do the job.

Or, if you will not overclock, perhaps a i5-3450 would let you spend more on the graphics card.
That would open the door for using a cheaper motherboard w/o overclocking support.

i second this. no matter what i5 you use you will be fine as it isnt a bottle neck, always spend more on a graphics card whether you have to save up for another month or cut back somewhere else. always use an after market cooler, hyper 212 evo is inexpensive
November 12, 2012 2:33:51 PM

Would it be crucial that I was to buy an after market cooler? What's the worst that can happen if I was to stay with the stock fan and maybe next year or so spend big on a really good fan(s)?

Also, I considered switching to a i5-3450 but seeming as the 3570K is on weekly offer, and I may plan to OC in the future, I think i'll stick with the 3570K.

Finally, is it really worth buying a better graphics card than the 7850? Surely that one is good enough to last for a few years - my mate recently bought a 6850 and paired with an i5 it can smash any modern game on ultra graphics with around 90 fps. The 7850 is good value too, if I was to upgrade to a 7950 or something that would be an extra £100 for not too much better performance.
November 12, 2012 2:40:14 PM

It depends on what resolution you play at. For me personally, I play at 1080p so having a MUCH more expensive card than an HD 7870 won't make much difference. I can max Crysis 2 with DX 11 and High Res textures, there is a slight stutter but not much. So what resolution do you game at? Also keep in mind, graphics cards age faster than CPU's so it also depends on how often you upgrade.
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 2:55:38 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
Would it be crucial that I was to buy an after market cooler? What's the worst that can happen if I was to stay with the stock fan and maybe next year or so spend big on a really good fan(s)?

Also, I considered switching to a i5-3450 but seeming as the 3570K is on weekly offer, and I may plan to OC in the future, I think i'll stick with the 3570K.

Finally, is it really worth buying a better graphics card than the 7850? Surely that one is good enough to last for a few years - my mate recently bought a 6850 and paired with an i5 it can smash any modern game on ultra graphics with around 90 fps. The 7850 is good value too, if I was to upgrade to a 7950 or something that would be an extra £100 for not too much better performance.



I have no problem with a 3570K. Yes, it is a bit overbalanced on the cpu side, but I consider it to be at least a 4 year gaming cpu. The upcoming haswell cpu's will not give you a compelling reason to change. Your most likely upgrade for gaming will be the graphics card, not the cpu.

An aftermarket cpu cooler is not essential.
But, if you can fit a cm hyper212 into your budget initially, I would do so.

Withour any oc, the stock cooler will do fine. Under load, it will spin up and get noisy. You can even OC a bit, perhaps to 3.8.
But the hyper212 is cheap, about $30 us. With a backplate mount, it will be much easier to install one initially. The stock intel pushpin mounts can be tricky for the novice to get installed properly.
In addition to better cooling, the large 120mm fan will turn slower and be relatively quiet, even under load.

I think the 7850 will be fine, In time, if you want more eye candy, better fps, or play a more gpu intensive game, you can always change it out. Your 650W XFX psu is a good one, able to run any graphics card made today. Even a 7970 or GTX690.

Put a 120gb or larger SSD on your upgrade wish list. It is one of the most satisfying performance upgrades you can buy today.
Anonymous
November 12, 2012 2:56:45 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
Would it be crucial that I was to buy an after market cooler? What's the worst that can happen if I was to stay with the stock fan and maybe next year or so spend big on a really good fan(s)?

Also, I considered switching to a i5-3450 but seeming as the 3570K is on weekly offer, and I may plan to OC in the future, I think i'll stick with the 3570K.

Finally, is it really worth buying a better graphics card than the 7850? Surely that one is good enough to last for a few years - my mate recently bought a 6850 and paired with an i5 it can smash any modern game on ultra graphics with around 90 fps. The 7850 is good value too, if I was to upgrade to a 7950 or something that would be an extra £100 for not too much better performance.

the stock cooler is really loud and the cooling performance is terrible. you will not be able to over clock with it. a hyper 212 doesnt add much to the cost but its completely worth it.

if you get a 3570k get a z77 board like the extreme4 that i posted before.

its always worth it to get a better graphics card, typically people recommend spending almost twice as much for your graphics card as you payed for your cpu and i would have to agree. you dont have to but get something in a tier or 2 high, its worth it. your friend cant be playing at 1080p then
November 12, 2012 3:11:25 PM

First of all, vanwaz the board in my build is already a z77 ^_^

I only play at 1366x768, so the graphics card should be fine for a good few years, until I may choose to upgrade.

With the fan, I think the stock cooler will be fine for me for now as I do not plan to OC until I know a lot more about it, bear in mind I am only 14 so understandably I really don't want to go and break something worth as much as that processor. If I choose to OC in the future, I will be sure to get a better fan, thanks for that advice.

Geofelt, what exactly is an SSD? Is it something to do with the HDD, and is it an additional extra that improves performance? If so I will consider adding one.
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 3:31:33 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
First of all, vanwaz the board in my build is already a z77 ^_^

I only play at 1366x768, so the graphics card should be fine for a good few years, until I may choose to upgrade.

With the fan, I think the stock cooler will be fine for me for now as I do not plan to OC until I know a lot more about it, bear in mind I am only 14 so understandably I really don't want to go and break something worth as much as that processor. If I choose to OC in the future, I will be sure to get a better fan, thanks for that advice.

Geofelt, what exactly is an SSD? Is it something to do with the HDD, and is it an additional extra that improves performance? If so I will consider adding one.


A SSD is a Solid State Drive.
It is a sata device that looks exactly like a conventional hard drive, but has no moving parts.
It is 50x faster in random I/O which the os does mostly.
It is 3x faster in sequential.
It will make everything you do feel so much quicker.
The downside is that it is more expensive, at about 90 cents per gb.
A 120gb ssd will hold the os and a handful of games.
If you need storage for large files, like video's, then add a hard drive.
November 12, 2012 3:39:58 PM

I think i'll give that a miss for now at least then. I just looked it up, and yep, £100 for 120GB. If I was willing to spend £100 more, I think it would be more worth getting the better 7950 graphics cards instead. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Also can I have any final feedback on the build before I order it? I will order the parts tonight or tomorrow, so are you certain the parts are all compatible, and that it won't just blow up in my face when I turn the power on? A bit extreme I know, but again its my first time and I don't want anything to go wrong. :D 
Anonymous
November 12, 2012 3:55:25 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
First of all, vanwaz the board in my build is already a z77 ^_^

I only play at 1366x768, so the graphics card should be fine for a good few years, until I may choose to upgrade.

With the fan, I think the stock cooler will be fine for me for now as I do not plan to OC until I know a lot more about it, bear in mind I am only 14 so understandably I really don't want to go and break something worth as much as that processor. If I choose to OC in the future, I will be sure to get a better fan, thanks for that advice.

Geofelt, what exactly is an SSD? Is it something to do with the HDD, and is it an additional extra that improves performance? If so I will consider adding one.

i meant a better quality motherboard
Anonymous
November 12, 2012 3:59:48 PM

TheRandomGuy7 said:
I think i'll give that a miss for now at least then. I just looked it up, and yep, £100 for 120GB. If I was willing to spend £100 more, I think it would be more worth getting the better 7950 graphics cards instead. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Also can I have any final feedback on the build before I order it? I will order the parts tonight or tomorrow, so are you certain the parts are all compatible, and that it won't just blow up in my face when I turn the power on? A bit extreme I know, but again its my first time and I don't want anything to go wrong. :D 

change a few things and then make another post with the refined parts. if you can manage to blow up a computer you must have magical powers of destruction. its pretty simple really, plug the thing into the thing anyone can do it
!