Building Photoshop and gaming PC, want opinions.

Messoid

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hello everyone,

This year I upgraded to a Nikon D800 camera, and for those who do not know, its a 36mp camera and the raw files come in around 40-45 megs each and I quickly get to 800meg psd files working with them in CS6. My current system just can't keep up and I'm left waiting for every operation of my workflow now. I currently have an I5 650 OC'd to 4.4ghz on air with 8gig of DDR1600 ram, a GTX 550Ti video card all running on a Gigabyte H57M-USB3 Motherboard. While it was nice and peppy for my old D300 files that were only 8megs, I'm left wanting more. I also am currently playing pCars, a racing sim, and I wish to turn up the graphics beyond medium and 2x AA for some eye candy. So, after looking around a bit, I've decided on this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nr1N
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nr1N/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nr1N/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro 81.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 OC Formula SSI CEB LGA1155 Motherboard ($226.02 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master SGC-2100-KWN1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($295.49 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Other: 4x120mm fans ($18.99)
Other: Fan controller ($24.99)
Total: $2004.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-12 10:50 EST-0500)

I know the MoBo will fit the case even though PCPartPicker says otherwise. So, what do you think about the comp as a whole? I don't want to upgrade for at least 3 years, or not even get the bug to should I say. Are there any components that you would switch out for better performance/cost? The only thing I'm set on is the video card series and processor, and I do plan on OC'ing this thing fairly high, 4.5gHz at least.

Also, I was hoping I could get away with out buying windows again, but it I have the OEM version of W7 Pro so I guess that wont work.

Thanks,
James

Approximate Purchase Date: Next month or so

Budget Range: $1900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Lightroom 4.1, Photoshop CS6, pCars, misc stuff you use computers for

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, amazon, the normal ones

Parts Preferences: N/A

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Not at this time

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I want a rock steady PC overclocked to 4.5gHz or so that will still be quiet

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current PC has a hard time with Nikon D800 raw file processing

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Looking good!

First thought is that in a PC of this price range you want a larger boot drive (SSD) than that. Yes, you can probably make Photoshop and everything fit in 119gb, but it could end up being a pain. I would get a 256GB drive.

Case isn't what I would pick, but that's your style preference. Looks like you forgot to add in windows.

Messoid

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I just liked the case looks, but I'm not set on it and don't know a lot about them. Any others that you would pick that will fit the MoBo I have? Its shown to be 12" x 10.5" so I wasn't sure what cases would fit and give good cable management with room for the water cooler and board. Also, I have a 75gig boot partition on my main PC and it all fits with 20gig left over so that's not a concern for me. Unless black friday or cyber monday give some good deals on a 256gig SSD, then I'll go that way.

As for windows, I'll update the main post. Like I said, I thought I could reuse my OEM since its still my PC, but looks like I cant.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I personally tend to prefer more minimalistic cases with less plastic. Corsair, BitFenix and Silverstone all have some good looking and competitive options.

Motherboard is going to fit in any normal sized case though, so really you are just looking at style, airflow, ports, etc.

Edit: Wow I didn't expect the mobo to be eATX with only three PCI x 16 slots. Are you sure it fits in the one you picked? It doesn't seem to claim eATX. You might need to get a full tower. Harder to find eATX compatible mid towers.

Messoid

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I just know it will fit that case because I read a review that said it did with just enough room. I wish it wasn't that form factor on the MoBo but I like that board. Might go with the saber tooth instead though just to get atx.

TRENDING THREADS