Closed Solved

EVGA GTX 670 FTW vs. MSI GTX 670 PE/OC

Hi, I am looking forward to buying a GTX 670
These are the 2 I am currently interested in:

MSI GTX 670 PE/OC 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127685
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

Out of these 2 I am looking for the one which has better performance and over-clocking ability. Not to mention stability. Now I could have simply compared both card's core/boost clocks BUT the problem is that MSI have better core/boost clocks and EVGA have better memory clock. Since I do not know much about this stuff I thought I should ask some experienced/knowledgeable people. So, please tell me which one should I chose over the other and why. Oh and I have no plans to do SLI setup and will be pairing it up with X-Series 650w PSU (Plenty I guess..?) Also, noise and heat are not that much of a big deal for me, unless ofcourse it goes beyond the normal levels.

EDIT: Also I am considering MSI GTX 660Ti PE/OC because both cards have same amount of CUDA cores and 660Ti is $100 cheaper. Only difference I noticed is that the 660Ti has 192-bit compared to the 256bit bandwidth of GTX 670. I have the budget for 670 but I am thinking is it really worth the extra 100 bucks? Any input wud be appreciated

EDIT 2: Not considering 660Ti Anymore. Sooooo MSI or EVGA 670? :S
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about evga
  1. I would opt for the MSI, mainly because it has top performance and is better in overclocking (unlocked voltages). However I dont know much about the EVGA card so I cannot suggest you one of them without a doubt.

That being said, in the same price you can find an HD 7970 after the recent price drop. Unless you want a nVidia GPU for specific reasons, 7970 is generally a stronger GPU and a better deal for this money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982
  2. MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking a $30 price premium for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.I would go for that card in no way is a 7970 better than it.
  3. Hmm, I was also thinking about the MSI one due to the triple voltage thingy but then again EVGA has better memory clock so I don't know... Does the memory clock not matter as much as core/boost clock? or vice versa? AFA 7970 goes, I am more on the Green team + have already decided to go for one of the cards I mentioned (unless there is a strong reason not to..) Just want to know which one is better among the mentioned ones. money isn't a problem cuz 670 is in my budget so :P But thanks for the quick reply mate. Expecting replies from more experienced members :D

EDIT: First post edited, considering 660Ti as well.
  4. According to Tom's Hardaware,

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,3283.html

the difference in bandwidth is noticable when u go over x4 MSAA.

I ll copy paste some conclusions from the post:

"Three things surprised us when we started looking at our benchmark numbers. First, AMD's Radeon cards scaled very well with anti-aliasing, especially the Radeon HD 7870. Second, Nvidia’s GeForce cards were able to hold their own well, even at higher resolutions, so long as anti-aliasing was kept under 4x MSAA. Finally, we really didn’t expect to see the GeForce GTX 660 Ti get outperformed by two passively-cooled Radeon HD 7750s.

So what does this tell us?

We aren't saying that anyone else ran their benchmarks on Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti incorrectly. Really, the card that wins depends on games, settings, and resolutions. This card isn’t a good choice for less demanding titles, but it does make a strong showing when a lot of GPU performance and, relatively speaking, not a lot of memory bandwidth are needed. But this exposes the card's big issue. Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti isn’t really a premium card. It would need to perform better at higher-end settings to satisfy the folks shopping for a less expensive alternative to the GTX 670. If you're really only looking for a middle-of-the-road card to game at mainstream resolutions and modest settings, the less expensive Radeon HD 7870 is ample."

So it is not really an alternative to 670
  5. oookay so not considering 660Ti, thanks @xXStavrosXx. So lets get back to the original question. EVGA 670 or MSI 670? Memory or core/boost clock?
    P.S: Sorry for being repetitive..
  6. Best answer
    MSI 670 Power edition 3x over voltage cant be beat period(.)
  7. MSI GTX 670 PE/OC vs EVGA GTX 670 FTW both are very good the EVGA GTX 670 FTW will run hotter and is louder
  8. I know this isnt a 670, but this still directly applies to this card since its using the same cooling system.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuXcStgYF8
  9. ^ damn man, ur changing my mind lol. I mean $ 120 cheaper and better performance than 670 reference :o

Anyways keep it coming guys, appreciate the input :)
  10. I think I will go with the MSI, Thanks for the help guys!
  11. Best answer selected by Symbfrk.
  12. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx EVGA Graphics Product MSI-Microstar