Sign in with
Your question

$15-1600 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2012 4:25:28 PM

Hello all!

I'm currently planing to order a new gaming computer online from a company I know and trust. Before I move on I should point out that I live in Sweden, so linking me to newegg or something like that is probably a waste of time. What I would like to know is if the setup I'm currently looking at is adequate for my needs, which are as follows:

*I want to be able to play games from the current and coming generations on high settings without problems. Examples of these games are Skyrim, Total War: Shogun 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and Dishonored.

*I don't want to have to upgrade for at least a few years.

*I will not be using it for animation, film editing or image manipulation (the closest thing I'll do is make 2D maps in GIMP).

*I do not intend to overclock my computer.

*I do not plan to play games in a higher resolution than 1980x1020.

*I already have a working mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

Now then, the parts I'm looking at are as follows:
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Gaming or Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: Corsair CX 500W
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3,2Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 8Gb
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 2Gb

The hard drives will be two Seagate Barracuda HDD's. From what I can tell, the advantages to SSD are not worth the higher price and smaller space. The operating system will be Windows 7 Professional Edition (I'm still using XP at the moment). Also, sorry about the lack of links, I'll try to fix that soon.

Does all this sound good? Should I get a more powerful PSU? Should I get a less powerful, cheaper graphics card? Anything I've forgotten?

More about : 1600 gaming

November 12, 2012 5:28:37 PM

In the USA a 7950 is about the same price as the gtx 660ti and its a better card. so I might recommend that you look into that.

A ssd gives almost no advantages for gaming but one is nice.

550 may be a better amount for the power supply but if you are not going to be overclocking 500 should be fine.
a b 4 Gaming
November 12, 2012 5:33:19 PM

verminspeaker said:
Hello all!

Now then, the parts I'm looking at are as follows:
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Gaming or Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: Corsair CX 500W
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3,2Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz 8Gb
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 2Gb

Does all this sound good? Should I get a more powerful PSU? Should I get a less powerful, cheaper graphics card? Anything I've forgotten?

Hi
As i see it you have already planned everything correctly. Just go with this build. Psu is fine(good wattage, good manufacturer). As for GPU gtx 670 might be nice, it's almost like gtx 680 except soem minor non important features.
But i would change it, so go with 660ti.
November 12, 2012 7:13:25 PM

Thank you both for the replies.

I'm actually leaning towards buying the components separately now and then paying a local computer store to assemble it for me. That would mean that I would get all the components quicker and much cheaper.

I guess I'll keep looking into the graphics card thing more, though. If I buy that particular model then I will get both Borderlands 2 and a voucher for Assassin's Creed 3, though, which is miiiiighty tempting. And I think I might buy a 600W PSU (another Corsair one), just to be sure that there's enough juice.

More comments are welcome. :) 
!