Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k and 6850 on 500 watts power supply

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2012 4:28:06 PM

Hi,

I would know if my power supply (1 year old) can handle an intel i5 3570k with my 6850.

If the awnser is yes can i overlocke it ?

This is my power supply:
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=c_000...
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2012 6:09:04 PM

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
That PSU is listed in tier 5 out of 5 for horrible quality. That's the sort of PSU that should be replaced ASAP.
http://realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page680.htm
Looking here, we can see that it's made by FSP and that's also not a good sign.
I can't find a professional review for it for further clarification, but I think that it's best to recommend getting a new power supply such as this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-bp550pl...

Or this:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550sxxb...
m
l
November 12, 2012 9:28:44 PM

For now I am running my 6850 with amd x3 450 (95 watts) and the intel is 77watts . But in maximum laod i don't know if it will be enough.
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2012 11:26:14 PM

Does my power supply can be the cause of my fps drop ?

Is the COOLER MASTER EXTREM II 725W a good power supply?
m
l
November 12, 2012 11:31:19 PM

Cooler Master extreme II?

For a PSU, I would recommend a Corsair TX V2 or TX M.
Most XFX and Seasonic PSU's are also good.
If you want a Cooler Master, The Silent Pro is a good choice.

I know it's hard to spend a lot on a power supply, but it's just not worth risking it.
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:24:30 AM

But I got a 500watts I'll keep it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 12:41:31 AM

mastrom101 said:
430W is cutting it a bit close...

no it's not. trust me, it's really not. 430W is fine for that rig plus major overclocking. 380W would even be fine. This is provided that the PSU is somewhat reputable, of course, like the corsair i suggested or seasonic, antec, etc. here's a good article that shows this...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock...

I had nearly that exact rig for a year and it was just fine.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 1:06:24 AM

Corsair CX430 isn't a very good PSU. The Antec VP-450 is cheaper and better in reliability and power delivery (I agree, 430W is more or less plenty, but a little more wouldn't hurt).
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 1:17:31 AM

blazorthon said:
Corsair CX430 isn't a very good PSU. The Antec VP-450 is cheaper and better in reliability and power delivery (I agree, 430W is more or less plenty, but a little more wouldn't hurt).

i defer to blazorthon, but personally, while there are clearly better quality PSUs out there, there are far more that are MUCH worse. i think the CX430 has got a killer price/performance ratio right now. spending $15 more to get the Seasonic 430 watter is always recommended though, of course.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 1:44:42 AM

Like I said, it's not a very good PSU. I didn't intend to imply that it's a bad PSU. The CX 430 (v1 and V2) are decent, they're just not very good. The Antec VP-450 is an above-average unit with an even lower price than the CX 430, hence I brought it up as a superior alternative. One issue with the CX 430 is that it uses poor-quality caps and the VP-450 seems to have a considerable advantage in that, especially considering the lower price.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 1:48:48 AM

are you sure you want to go 6850? I had it and I mean it was good but just not as good as you might hope... get the 7850 its not much more for a big jump in performance... I know its about 70 more but the jump in performance is a great deal and you will last with this card for about 2 years easy
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and for the power supply yeah you can get that easy and also have some nice room for overclocking as long as you keep it like you say by only adding a 3570k and a 6850(get the 7850)

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 1:50:42 AM

OP already has the 6850 according to the first post.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 2:20:35 AM

oh ok... well then yeah! a 3570k will work great for you!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 12:48:23 PM

blazorthon said:
Like I said, it's not a very good PSU. I didn't intend to imply that it's a bad PSU. The CX 430 (v1 and V2) are decent, they're just not very good. The Antec VP-450 is an above-average unit with an even lower price than the CX 430, hence I brought it up as a superior alternative. One issue with the CX 430 is that it uses poor-quality caps and the VP-450 seems to have a considerable advantage in that, especially considering the lower price.

eesh...idk man...it's hard for me to say that a johnny guru recommended PSU that's 80 plus bronze, has a single instead of dual 12V rail, and has a 1 x 6+2pin pci-e connector instead of just a 6 pin and is just $5 more is inferior. not to be a butt, just sayin. :)  but based on newegg reviews alone, you gotta give it to the VP-450.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 1:13:46 PM

My only problem with Jonny Guru is that those reviews don't necessarily give a good impression of failure rates. They test the power supplies excellently, but they simply don't test several to several dozen units for failure rate consistency (not that I expect anyone to do such work). That's where less professional stuff such as Newegg can come in handy... Sure, they're mostly not professional reviews, but they are far greater in sample size and that can make them statistically more relevant for determining failure rates.

Also, I've used several units of both the CX 430 v1 and v2 models in many builds and I can say that overall, the VP-450 has worked out better for me in reliability, especially with loads that are kinda high for their wattage ratings.

Also, I knwo that it doesn't have the rating for it, but the VP-450 is usually about 85% efficient like the good Bronze models are supposed to be. Even at like a 550W load, it can usually retain about 81% efficiency. It doesn't have the 80+ Bronze rating just because it lacks active PFC IIRC which although may be a little less than ideal, it's worth getting an otherwise better model than perhaps all other similarly priced models in almost every way. My only problem with the VP-450 is like you mentioned it's PCIe power connector only being a six-pin, but if I really want more, getting an adapter isn't expensive at all and it can still end up cheaper than its competition even if you have to buy an adapter.

Otherwise, I'd still go for something such as the Antec EarthWatts 430 instead of the CX 430.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 1:24:54 PM

blazorthon said:
My only problem with Jonny Guru is that those reviews don't necessarily give a good impression of failure rates.

that is very true. i've always had a problem with that myself. however, one thing i don't like about relying on newegg reviews is that a good chunk of the bad reviews are due to people not getting their MIR checks, which negatively skews the reviews. the CX430 has MIRs all the time, as do OCZ power supplies.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 1:29:08 PM

Augray37 said:
that is very true. i've always had a problem with that myself. however, one thing i don't like about relying on newegg reviews is that a good chunk of the bad reviews are due to people not getting their MIR checks, which negatively skews the reviews. the CX430 has MIRs all the time, as do OCZ power supplies.

Of course, you're right about that. I prefer to skim through the reviews to *cross out* those that are obviously user error or for stuff such as MIR issues.
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:18:01 PM

Well I think I resolved my problem with my fps drop. It was causing by my hard drive. on western digital blue SATA2 500gig. I'll buy an SSD to see if it could be my problem.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 3:25:01 PM

alex92692 said:
Well I think I resolved my problem with my fps drop. It was causing by my hard drive. on western digital blue SATA2 500gig. I'll buy an SSD to see if it could be my problem.

what makes you think it's your hard drive?
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:30:30 PM

I have an off memory (8gb), my CPU is around 50% in games and my power supply is ok and my graphic card too.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 3:33:35 PM

but the HDD has almost zero affect on FPS.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 3:38:43 PM

An SSD is extremely unlikely to help your gaming performance, although it should help with loading time for menus and such. Gaming simply isn't really limited much at all by storage performance.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 4:00:08 PM

It's possible, but it's still very unlikely that it's the hard drive.
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:10:08 PM

I did a memtest and hard drive test and all was ok.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 4:11:45 PM

I bet that it's your old CPU simply not being able to keep up well enough.
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:14:28 PM

But in games I'm only at 50% usage.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 4:16:05 PM

In games that mostly only use one or two cores (such as Skyrim), with two cores are maxed out, the total utilization is 50%, yet you have a huge CPU bottle-neck regardless. Furthermore, CPU utilization is not a good measure for a CPU bottle-neck anyway. Some games will load cores up to around 50-100% even if they're not bottle-necked. The opposite can happen too with a CPU not being loaded heavily on any cores, yet still being a bottle-neck.
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:57:31 PM

I'm still thinking that it's my hard drive because it's lagging when the game is loading. For exemple when I look for the first time around me the game will lag but if I look around me for a second time it will be ok.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 5:03:44 PM

There's a simple way to find out for sure. Overclock that AMD CPU by say 20% and see if it changes anything, even if only a little. You could even temporarily disable one core just to make sure that the heat doesn't get too high.
m
l
November 13, 2012 8:56:55 PM

Well, I'm not too safe with overclocking. But on youtube you can see a lot of people who are playing a lot of games with this cpu...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 13, 2012 8:59:44 PM

Different games behave differently. Skyrim is a somewhat CPU bottle-necked game and beyond that, it's a game that doesn't scale well with more than one or two cores. It often doesn't run so well on older CPUs compared to how well it runs on newer CPUs, especially Intel's newer CPUs, unless you overclock.

I'm not saying that you should do something such as overclocking if you're not comfortable with doing it, just that it may be the best solution to fixing performance with your current system.
m
l
November 13, 2012 9:56:42 PM

I'll get an SSD probably tomorrow I hope it will make a difference. Otherwise I'll get the i5 3570.
m
l
November 14, 2012 9:09:56 PM

I show this to 3 of my friends and they told me that it was my HDD. Sorry i didn't have the time to buy an ssd to test it tonignt. Probably tomorrow.
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:17:53 AM

I was right it was my hard drive that was not fast enough for gaming. I bought an SSD an my problem is resolve thanks for your help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
November 16, 2012 1:20:48 AM

Huh. Weird. Well, sorry for doubting you.
m
l
!