System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Are you buying a monitor: not yet

parts i'm looking to buy

cpu - i5-2500k $220
psu - apevia atx 700w - $40
mobo - asrock z77 extreme3 $120
ram - g.skill ripjaws x series 4 gb ddr3 $25
total - 405
i will get my check this coming friday and will have enough for this but no OS which it is the only thing holding me back
monitor and gpu will be coming later this year

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Crossfire: Yes

Your Monitor Resolution: old 2002 dell monitor (low rez) to start with

i will be upgrading to a $150 monitor after christmas if anyone can give me some decent ones to look at.

already have
case - apevia explorer2
a 250gb hd from a 2002 sony vaio gaming desktop (not sure if its a good hard drive though but it will do)
and also the dvd and cdrom from the sony vaio

More about : partial build

November 12, 2012 5:18:20 PM

Hi, well it looks alright, but what exactly are you asking here? for monitor recommendation? Any Acer or Samsung 1080p monitor with 2-5ms response time will do. TN panels are pretty hard to get wrong nowadays.

Also, which cards are you crossfiring/sli'ing?

also, that PSU is very cheap, I would not recommend saving money on the PSU because it can end up costing you far more in the end. Get a quality PSU from Antec, Seasonic, XFX, Corsair or PC Power and Cooling. They will be twice the price in that wattage range, but they will not blow up after 1 year.

Also, where do you work? or are you still in school? it's possible to get discounted windows from your school or some employers can be offered a discount too. check around
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 5:25:40 PM

for gaming even i3 processor may suffice on strict budget like yours, just get ivy bridge one.
if you are not overclocking, you dont need z77 mobo, go for H77 or B75.
and BOOM .....just saved a bunch of money
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:26:23 PM

well i don't plan to over clock, and i need an i5 for bf3. i have 2 more paychecks coming in from work at thanksgiving (last week on the job) and will be using however much i will have for the computer parts. I am in highschool idk if that will get me any discounts though. i will probably crossfire an hd 7770 but not until later in the year will i get a second gpu. so if you know of a cheaper or one round the same price that will work just as well then please let me know. i would go for the i3 but 2 cores isn't enough for bf3 and i believe that games in the next year or two will start taking advantage of more cores so i feel having an i5 is more future proof then a 2 core i3.
m
l
!