EOS 300D vs. EOS 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 24, 2005 3:01:29 PM

Hi guys.
I'm just an average amateur photograph.
Now I have EOS 500N with EF 35-80mm 1:4-5,6 and EF 80-2001:4,5-5,6 II, which
I would like to change with digital SLR camera.
Which digital camera is best for my needs?
Should I wait to buy 350D, or 300D is just OK for me?
Thnx.

More about : eos 300d eos 350d

February 24, 2005 3:01:30 PM

For the small difference, get the 350, well worth it.

Jean

"Vjeran Petrovic" <vjeran.petrovicREMOVE@REMOVEck.t-com.hr> a écrit dans le
message de news:cvkc68$h5n$1@ls219.htnet.hr...
> Hi guys.
> I'm just an average amateur photograph.
> Now I have EOS 500N with EF 35-80mm 1:4-5,6 and EF 80-2001:4,5-5,6 II,
which
> I would like to change with digital SLR camera.
> Which digital camera is best for my needs?
> Should I wait to buy 350D, or 300D is just OK for me?
> Thnx.

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:01:30 PM

Vjeran Petrovic wrote:
> Hi guys.
> I'm just an average amateur photograph.
> Now I have EOS 500N with EF 35-80mm 1:4-5,6 and EF 80-2001:4,5-5,6
II, which
> I would like to change with digital SLR camera.
> Which digital camera is best for my needs?
> Should I wait to buy 350D, or 300D is just OK for me?

Since you don't seem to have a significant investment in Canon lenses,
why not look at the Nikon D70 as well? Btw, I own a Canon 300D and am
satisfied with it.

- Siddhartha
February 24, 2005 3:01:30 PM

Larry wrote:
> Question!!
>
> Do you use the hacked firmware, or are you running it "stock???"
>
> My interest is the difference between the NEW Drebel and the Old
Drebel. I
> don't consider the difference between 6mp and 8mp to be important
enough to
> go for the 350 over the 300.
>
> It seems to me that the 300 w/firmware hack would give me everything
I need,
> but Im looking for someone who has used the hack to fill me in.

Yep, put in the hacked firmware the very next day. There are several
threads on dpreview forums discussing the hack and I don't recall
coming across anyone who reported a problem with the hack. And although
the hacked firmware voids warranty, no one's reported being returned
the camera by Canon for using the hacked firmware when sent for repairs
under warranty.

All functions work as advertised. Just make sure your batteries don't
die while you are doing the upgrade and everything should be fine.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:01:30 PM

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> I use the 300D with the firmware hack and the one thing that doesn't
quite
> work is the selectable AF modes. That alone would steer me towards
the
> 350D.
I never got it clearly as to when to switch between the various AF
modes. Could you explain?

> The other couple of items that would favor the 350D is selectable
metering
> and the almost instant on.

Yes, if the difference is $200 then I don't mind paying it for the
extra MP (however small it maybe) and improved manual control. That
said, I am a bit disappointed in the decision to decrease the camera
size. Some reviews also say it feels more *flimsier* than the 300D.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:01:30 PM

Vjeran Petrovic wrote:

> Hi guys.
> I'm just an average amateur photograph.
> Now I have EOS 500N with EF 35-80mm 1:4-5,6 and EF 80-2001:4,5-5,6 II, which
> I would like to change with digital SLR camera.
> Which digital camera is best for my needs?
> Should I wait to buy 350D, or 300D is just OK for me?

What do you expect out of the camera?

If you make prints at 30x20 cm, then the 300D will do fine.

February 24, 2005 3:01:31 PM

In article <1109253488.710109.56990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk says...
> Since you don't seem to have a significant investment in Canon lenses,
> why not look at the Nikon D70 as well? Btw, I own a Canon 300D and am
> satisfied with it.
>
> - Siddhartha

Question!!

Do you use the hacked firmware, or are you running it "stock???"

My interest is the difference between the NEW Drebel and the Old Drebel. I
don't consider the difference between 6mp and 8mp to be important enough to
go for the 350 over the 300.

It seems to me that the 300 w/firmware hack would give me everything I need,
but Im looking for someone who has used the hack to fill me in.

Thanks in advance
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <1109256235.902890.9760@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, losttoy2000
@yahoo.co.uk says...
> Yes, if the difference is $200 then I don't mind paying it for the
> extra MP (however small it maybe) and improved manual control. That
> said, I am a bit disappointed in the decision to decrease the camera
> size. Some reviews also say it feels more *flimsier* than the 300D.
>
> - Siddhartha

I'm a little "put off" by the smaller size myself.. I LIKE a good, big, heavy
(withing reason) box, it aids in stability.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I use the 300D with the firmware hack and the one thing that doesn't
> quite
>> work is the selectable AF modes. That alone would steer me towards
> the
>> 350D.
> I never got it clearly as to when to switch between the various AF
> modes. Could you explain?

Well keep in mind that I'm not Pro but where I want to use selectable AF is
for shooting action shots. For example, I was out taking pics of the kids
sleigh riding and the Rebel was slow to automatically switch AF modes. I
would have rather had the ability to set the AF mode to Predictive and leave
it there. The current hack allows you to select modes but to get
predictive mode to actually let the shutter release you have to flick it
into manual mode when you ready to take the shot. Not all that practical.

--

Rob
Anonymous

"Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <1109253488.710109.56990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk says...
>> Since you don't seem to have a significant investment in Canon lenses,
>> why not look at the Nikon D70 as well? Btw, I own a Canon 300D and am
>> satisfied with it.
>>
>> - Siddhartha
>>

> Question!!
>
> Do you use the hacked firmware, or are you running it "stock???"
>
> My interest is the difference between the NEW Drebel and the Old Drebel.
> don't consider the difference between 6mp and 8mp to be important enough
> go for the 350 over the 300.
>
> It seems to me that the 300 w/firmware hack would give me everything I
> need,
> but Im looking for someone who has used the hack to fill me in.

I use the 300D with the firmware hack and the one thing that doesn't quite
work is the selectable AF modes. That alone would steer me towards the
350D.

The other couple of items that would favor the 350D is selectable metering
and the almost instant on.

JMHO

--

Rob
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:01:32 PM

"Larry" <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In article <1109253488.710109.56990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk says...
> > Since you don't seem to have a significant investment in Canon lenses,
> > why not look at the Nikon D70 as well? Btw, I own a Canon 300D and am
> > satisfied with it.
> >
> > - Siddhartha
> >

> Question!!
>
> Do you use the hacked firmware, or are you running it "stock???"
>
> My interest is the difference between the NEW Drebel and the Old Drebel.
> don't consider the difference between 6mp and 8mp to be important enough
> go for the 350 over the 300.
>
> It seems to me that the 300 w/firmware hack would give me everything I
need,
> but Im looking for someone who has used the hack to fill me in.

I use it but will probably get a 350 because of the shorter start up time,
better continuous shooting, and choice of focusing modes (the hack locks up
when trying to choose focusing modes). Also, I have a feeling that the 350
is going to have better noise reduction.

GT
--
"destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
the battles we fought were long and hard,

In article <aLOdnSBrt4JVeIDfRVn-tw@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
says...
> I use the 300D with the firmware hack and the one thing that doesn't quite
> work is the selectable AF modes. That alone would steer me towards the
> 350D.
>
> The other couple of items that would favor the 350D is selectable metering
> and the almost instant on.
>
> JMHO
>
> --
>
> Rob

First: Thanks for your input!

Im not too concerned about "instant on" as I usually just keep the camera on
for the duration of shooting (I hit whatever button is needed to keep it
awake and carry extra batteries). A given "class" at a horse show is usually
about 10 to 20 minutes, with a short time between classes (long enough to
change batteries, but just barely).

The focus problem concerns me though.. What part doesn't work.

The only function I can concieve of needing (in the ring) is FAST center area
focus.. I dont want the camera to focus on anything outside the center of the
frame. (I usually focus/reframe/shoot when using an SLR in the ring) If I can
accomplish that I'll be a happy camper..

Then again, I always used Manual Focus on my film SLRs.. Having experimented
with the DRebel for a bit, I was satisfied that I could go to Manual if
needed, Im used to it after more than 40 years of manual film cameras, but a
good, functioning center weighted Auto-Focus would be GREAT.

Metering isn't too important to me, as I usually shoot in full manual mode
with a flash (currently using a SunPak 383) and a shutter speed of 1/160th or
faster and arpeture set per the lighting/distance situation. (I can be as
close as 20' or as far as 75' from the subject.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

> In article <aLOdnSBrt4JVeIDfRVn-tw@giganews.com>, rrkircher@hotmail.com
> says...
>> I use the 300D with the firmware hack and the one thing that doesn't
>> quite
>> work is the selectable AF modes. That alone would steer me towards the
>> 350D.
>>
>> The other couple of items that would favor the 350D is selectable
>> metering
>> and the almost instant on.
>>
>> JMHO
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rob
>>

> First: Thanks for your input!
>
> Im not too concerned about "instant on" as I usually just keep the camera
> on
> for the duration of shooting (I hit whatever button is needed to keep it
> awake and carry extra batteries). A given "class" at a horse show is
> usually
> about 10 to 20 minutes, with a short time between classes (long enough to
> change batteries, but just barely).
>
> The focus problem concerns me though.. What part doesn't work.
>
> The only function I can concieve of needing (in the ring) is FAST center
> area
> focus.. I dont want the camera to focus on anything outside the center of
> the
> frame. (I usually focus/reframe/shoot when using an SLR in the ring) If I
> can
> accomplish that I'll be a happy camper..
>
> Then again, I always used Manual Focus on my film SLRs.. Having
> experimented
> with the DRebel for a bit, I was satisfied that I could go to Manual if
> needed, Im used to it after more than 40 years of manual film cameras, but
> good, functioning center weighted Auto-Focus would be GREAT.
>
> Metering isn't too important to me, as I usually shoot in full manual mode
> with a flash (currently using a SunPak 383) and a shutter speed of 1/160th
> or
> faster and arpeture set per the lighting/distance situation. (I can be as
> close as 20' or as far as 75' from the subject.

As I understand it the current rebel automatically switches from One Shot
mode to Predictive depending on the subjects movement in the lens. Well
I've found that this happens slowly. Could be because I'm doing something
wrong but I haven't look into it.

The firmware hack provides for selectable focusing modes but when set to
predictive the shutter doesn't work because the electronics won't signal the
camera that its actual focused. The work around is to set the camera into
Predictive, let it focus as the subject and then just as your ready to take
the shot flick the lens into MF mode. Maybe you can get good at this with a
bit of practice but its not all that practical.

Since you're shooting show horses predictive AF may not be that important or
the time it takes the Rebel to switch may not cause a problem. However, I
had problems trying to take pics of the kids sleigh riding. The camera
wouldn't switch fast enough as the kids were whizzing by. Again, there
maybe some trick to getting the Rebel to switch modes faster but I haven't
found it.

As to manual focusing, I too come from the full manual type of camera (al be
it very casual use) and I can tell you that being accustom to a split focus
system on my manual camera, its not all that easy to focus the EOS lenses.
Now I'm sure lots of people will say "sure it is, I do it all the time" but
it sure isn't as easy as focusing my old manuals.

The Canon AF system does allow for user selectable focus points. I tend to
set my Rebel to the center point but if I understand the metering correctly
the active AF points is heavily weighted when determining correct exposure
setting. Again (assuming I'm correct) if you're going to use manual mode
this really doesn't matter much.

Flash compensation does work with the Hack, and I tend to use it a lot,
along with setting the flash sync rate to 1/200.

All in all I've been very happy with my 300D, but IMO the hack is a
necessity. In a few months I'll be in the marked for a second body and
unless there is a 20D replacement due I think I just may go with the 350D.
If the 350D wasn't released I'd be going with the 20D.

--

Rob
Anonymous

> The focus problem concerns me though.. What part doesn't work.
>
> The only function I can concieve of needing (in the ring) is FAST center
area
> focus.. I dont want the camera to focus on anything outside the center of
the
> frame. (I usually focus/reframe/shoot when using an SLR in the ring) If I
can
> accomplish that I'll be a happy camper..

With the Digital Rebel I used, I simply set the AF zone to the center
zone, and it worked just fine. I don't recall if automatic mode would
override it, but I do remember that it remembered that I wanted the center
AF zone.

steve
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:36:35 PM

I think that 20x30 will be very rare format of pictures.
Mostly I will print it on normal 10x15.
I was also consider other cameras, not DSLR, but I want to keep zoom lens
what I bought last year.

> Vjeran Petrovic wrote:
>
>> Hi guys.
>> I'm just an average amateur photograph.
>> Now I have EOS 500N with EF 35-80mm 1:4-5,6 and EF 80-2001:4,5-5,6 II,
>> which I would like to change with digital SLR camera.
>> Which digital camera is best for my needs?
>> Should I wait to buy 350D, or 300D is just OK for me?
>
> What do you expect out of the camera?
>
> If you make prints at 30x20 cm, then the 300D will do fine.

> -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:36:36 PM

Ferryck1 wrote:

> I think that 20x30 will be very rare format of pictures.
> Mostly I will print it on normal 10x15.
> I was also consider other cameras, not DSLR, but I want to keep zoom lens
> what I bought last year.

Please don't top post.

10x15 cm can be handilly done by the 300D. Or a 10D. or a D60. or a D30 for
that matter. You might find high value in a used unit.

Cheers,
Alan

February 24, 2005 11:24:41 PM

> In article <1109256235.902890.9760@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> losttoy2000
> @yahoo.co.uk says...
>> Yes, if the difference is $200 then I don't mind paying it for the
>> extra MP (however small it maybe) and improved manual control. That
>> said, I am a bit disappointed in the decision to decrease the camera
>> size. Some reviews also say it feels more *flimsier* than the 300D.
>>
>> - Siddhartha
>>

> I'm a little "put off" by the smaller size myself.. I LIKE a good, big,
> heavy
> (withing reason) box, it aids in stability.
>

> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

While not a fan of size and weight for their own sake, cameras are
approaching the size that makes it hard for me to hold them. I had to get a
grip for my 20D, or actually my wife got it for me for Christmas, so I could
hold it comfortably. The Oly E-1 is too small for me to hold, for instance.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> While not a fan of size and weight for their own sake, cameras are
> approaching the size that makes it hard for me to hold them. I had to get
> grip for my 20D, or actually my wife got it for me for Christmas, so I
could
> hold it comfortably. The Oly E-1 is too small for me to hold, for
instance.

I think that design has more to do with it than just size - one of my
cousins brought over a P&S the other day (I want to say that it was a Fuji,
but I don't recall with certainty) that was *very* small, yet very easy to
get a good grasp on it. I was impressed.

steve
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:09:07 AM

Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in

> Please don't top post.

In retrospect, maybe we should have written that into the charters. ;-)

(not that it would have made much of a difference)

--

Bill
Anonymous

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in
>

>>Please don't top post.
>

> In retrospect, maybe we should have written that into the charters. ;-)

It is. Or are you just poking a stick?

> (not that it would have made much of a difference)

If people would read the charters (link in the link below), and emulate the most
common practise of others...

Cheers,
Alan

February 26, 2005 5:20:38 AM

> Woodchuck Bill wrote:
>
>> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in
>>

>>>Please don't top post.
>>

>> In retrospect, maybe we should have written that into the
>> charters. ;-)
>
> It is. Or are you just poking a stick?

Sorry Alan, but there is no reference to either top or bottom posting
in the original charters for the four new r.p.d* groups, including this
group. I was thinking about bringing it up to you and Thad during the
RFD, but by the time David and I had joined the team we were already on
the fourth RFD and I didn't want to see the process drag on by going to
a 5th RFD.

If this group has reached a consensus that top posting is the law of
the land, however...then that is the way things should be done. For the
record, I prefer bottom posting myself.

--

Bill
Anonymous

Woodchuck Bill wrote:
> Sorry Alan, but there is no reference to either top or bottom posting
> in the original charters for the four new r.p.d* groups, including this

You're right! *Blush*. But it is in the non-offical 'user resource'.

"# Encouraged:

Snipping post replies for relevance, posting for reading order (bottom
posting), use of news reader filters to remove subjects that are not of your
interest."
-- http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

> group. I was thinking about bringing it up to you and Thad during the
> RFD, but by the time David and I had joined the team we were already on
> the fourth RFD and I didn't want to see the process drag on by going to
> a 5th RFD.

Thad and I had discussed it offline but thought that it would be a bit hard to
push through, so kept it out. I did add it to the users-resource as a goal for
the NG netiquette at http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

> If this group has reached a consensus that top posting is the law of
> the land, however...then that is the way things should be done. For the
> record, I prefer bottom posting myself.

It's the natural order of things. I consider most top posters/non-snippers to
be at worst lazy, rude or having a slef serving interest, and at best ignorant
of good practice.

Cheers,
Alan

February 27, 2005 6:13:37 AM

> I did add it to the users-resource as a goal for
> the NG netiquette at http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm

Cool!

--

Bill