Which system should I build, AMD or Intell?

So I finally have some money for a build but I'm a very indecisive person so I would like the communities input.
I have a budget of ~$750 for everything including the OS which I will be using Windows 7 home premium 64bit.
This computer will be used as an all arounder, recording; general gameplay (DayZ, Minecraft, some BF3 at 720p), surfing the interwebs, video editing, watching movies ext. I will not be buying a monitor. With this budget I'm not looking for a 60+fps with max setting or anything but if i can keep my fps in games above 30 that will do me fine. I like to use newegg because they helped me a lot in the past. I am not interested in overclocking or sli/crossfire just yet. any way here are the builds i have in mind:

Build1(Intell system)
CPU: i5 3330 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116781
MOBO: ASRock H77M http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157303
Ram: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231417
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236155
GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X HD 7770 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993
PSU: RAIDMAX RX-500AF http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152040
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011
Total Cost: $757 with s&h and OS

Build2 (AMD system)
CPU: FX 6300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286
MOBO: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262
Everything else would be the same
Total Cost: $740 with s&h and OS

Also If y'all have some input on parts that may help with price and or performance please chime in. This will be the second computer I will build, The 1st one is doing awesome though I built it for under $100 with old parts :)
15 answers Last reply
More about which system build intell
  1. I am partial to intel, but sense you can overclock the AMD cpu, you will most likely be able to get better performance out of it.
  2. I'm not real comfortable with over clocking atm(last computer I had overclocked lasted 3 months then was fried) + it would be a while before I could get an aftermarket cooler.
  3. Hoo boy, this should be a good thread :)

    Anyway, I say go with Vishera. Piledriver won some battles this time around, even at stock clocks, and AM3+ will allow you to upgrade to Steamroller when it comes out, whereas LGA 1155 is virtually dead. Vishera is also very versatile, priced quite well and I think, compared to Ivy Bridge, AM3+ is ever so slightly more "future proof" IMHO. Now THAT is definitely debatable, to the point where you will find that you will not be disappointed with either option. I just built an Ivy Bridge PC built around an i7-3770 for a friend because I found a Z75 motherboard that I really liked.
  4. oh i forgot, get rid of that PSU! raidmax is a no no. all you need is this...

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

    and that's just in case you get a power hungry GPU in the future. your current setups don't really need anything more than a 380W PSU.
  5. intel one will be faster out of the gate but like someone else said the AMD platform will last longer with future upgrades to the next gen of bad amd cpus that will or will not be faster then current intel cpus.

    Derza10 said:
    I am partial to intel, but sense you can overclock the AMD cpu, you will most likely be able to get better performance out of it.


    all intel cpus are at least partially unlocked so you cant say you cant overclock an intel cpu.
  6. The intel processor is a little stronger over all , but would also lose in some benchmarks

    But for gaming both builds would perform identically
    And the AMD motherboard has much more room for expansion , and will remain current a lot longer . Even steamroller processors from 2014 should fit right in and run . while the intel will be obsolete in a few months when they change their socket yet again .

    The part you should NOT buy is the raidmax psu its old style junk . Only use 80+ rated power supplies which that unit is definitely not [ despite the claim on the newegg page] . It does not have Active PFC . The small red voltage switch on the back is a give away sign of a low quality unit . A PSU with active PFC does not need you to set the voltage

    This silverstone is a much better unit and its cheaper
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061
  7. cbrunnem said:


    all intel cpus are at least partially unlocked so you cant say you cant overclock an intel cpu.



    yeah you can mess about with the intel and add about 0.02 %

    The AMD FX can be overclocked by about ......................30% with a good cooler thanks to the unlocked multiplier
  8. Outlander_04 said:
    yeah you can mess about with the intel and add about 0.02 %

    The AMD FX can be overclocked by about ......................30% with a good cooler thanks to the unlocked multiplier


    locked intel cpus can be overclock 4 bins past turbo boost.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5
  9. They both look good to me, except for that PSU. Your last system fried, and if you chose this PSU chances are you chose a crappy one for your last build too. The Raidmax may fry your board, it may even start a house fire! GET RID OF IT!
  10. cbrunnem said:
    locked intel cpus can be overclock 4 bins past turbo boost.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-sandy-bridge-review/5


    Yeah but 9 times out of 10 they are very unstable when you get over 103-105 BCLK on a Sandy/Ivy Bridge. You might squeeze off a benchmark or two but as far as 24/7 stability it is hard to achieve and usually takes a golden chip. The BCLK of 100MHz controls a lot of other frequencies in an Intel and when you can't adjust the multiplier for a lot of them upping the base clock could equal disaster. Most notably on the PCIe bus.
  11. stickg1 said:
    Yeah but 9 times out of 10 they are very unstable when you get over 103-105 BCLK on a Sandy/Ivy Bridge. You might squeeze off a benchmark or two but as far as 24/7 stability it is hard to achieve and usually takes a golden chip. The BCLK of 100MHz controls a lot of other frequencies in an Intel and when you can't adjust the multiplier for a lot of them upping the base clock could equal disaster. Most notably on the PCIe bus.


    read the article. or at least the first line under the graphic. the overclocking is multiplier overclocking on z67/77 and p67 boards. you can on top of that overclock with the baseclock.
  12. cbrunnem said:
    read the article. or at least the first line under the graphic. the overclocking is multiplier overclocking on z67/77 and p67 boards. you can on top of that overclock with the baseclock.


    This is the first time I have even heard of this , and quick search didnt get me any other sites than the one you mention .
    I dont think that information is correct

    Have YOU made that kind of overclock on a locked intel processor?
  13. Outlander_04 said:
    This is the first time I have even heard of this , and quick search didnt get me any other sites than the one you mention .
    I dont think that information is correct

    Have YOU made that kind of overclock on a locked intel processor?


    no but ive walked people through it with the exact results the article explains you should get. so no i do not have personal experience.
  14. cbrunnem said:
    no but ive walked people through it with the exact results the article explains you should get. so no i do not have personal experience.



    I have read that page you linked a few times and there are instructions and setting for overclocking a 2500K and some other processors .

    Theres a chart that says you can increase the turbo boost on locked processors
    but there are no instructions on how to do that that I have been able to find
  15. wow more replies than i though, thanks for the advice guys, so one thing that i will change is the psu, thanks for the input on that. the more i read into this the more im leaning towards the amd build.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Build Systems Product