pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
is it me or is "everyone" in this forum an AMD fan or user? im just curious. if any was wondering, im using a P4 (i pick intel over amd cuz i've always had a good track record with intel. this doesnt mean i think intel is better than amd. in my opinion, amd is currently the champ).

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

dhlucke

Polypheme
If the P4 didn't cost so damn much I would have bought one. I don't give a crap which CPU I buy, but I want it to be fast and cheap. The days of having to buy a CPU for an arm and a leg are over. The price has to match the performance though. Intel is lacking in this department.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

G

>The price has to match the performance though. Intel is
>lacking in this department.

Hmm.. thats only so because AMD currently has competitive products that are even cheaper. If AMD would still be selling, say 600 Mhz K6-4 Ultra's or something, the P4 would look like a bargain to me. I dont think high end PC's (regardless, intel or AMD) have ever been this cheap.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Dhluke summed it up, why pay 600 bucks for performance which is in most cases inferior to performance which can be had for as little as 200?

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

G

>is it me or is "everyone" in this forum an AMD fan or user?

Not everyone, but obviously a (large ?) majority here are AMD users. THis is not surprising, given the nature of this forum and THG website.. you'll have a pretty high number of overclockers, tweakers, tech enthousiasts.. people that know how to assemble a pc, that are not scared to use less familiar brands or products, and are usually well informed. The kind of consumers that buy unproven but promising Kyro II videocards when they come out.

The AMD platform is currently better suited for overclocking and tweaking (well, certainly up to the release of the AXP), is cheaper and performs competitevely (not to say better). This obvisouly appeals to the typical THG forum member.. where it is probably of little or no interest to the average Joe that buys "intel inside" just because they recognize the name.

As for the "fan" part.. touchy subject. About 90% of the posters are moderately to extremely biased towards either intel or AMD. PLently of flame wars, FUD..

More AMD "followers" than intel fans I think.. though there are a few very active (often tiresome) intel posters like fugger, amdmeltdown, etc.. Anyway, this forum is probably not a good place to get objective, unbiased info about AMD versus Intel questions. You'd better visit Aces' hardware forum for that.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Anyway, this forum is probably not a good place to get objective, unbiased info about AMD versus Intel questions.
I disagree with that. I think that several people here do look unbiasedly at the AMD vs Intel debate. The reason that it seems to lean towards AMD, is that much of the CURRENT evidence of faster speeds and such points towards AMD over Intel. It doesn't help that the avid Intel supporters(Fugger, AMDMeltdown) tend to talk in very objectional fasions, and often are unwilling to admit that AMD has any merits. Granted there are AMD fans here who do the same thing, but they seem to be less prevelant. However, I find that most people here to be quite objective, and willing to look at both sides of things.

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

G

>I think that several people here do look unbiasedly at the
>AMD vs Intel debate.

Sure, of course.. I know. But the noise ratio *is* extremely high here.. Probably as a reaction to the fuggers & Meltdowns I presume.. I mean, if you try to counter *all* the BS that fugger tends to post here, its hard not to seem like an AMD fanboy... But you have to agree discussions are rarely unbiased and objective on this forum..

Now being biased isnt even such a bad thing, if you do remain honest and respectfull like Raystonn or Matisaro..

Anyway.. whatever.. why am I posting anyway ?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Anyway.. whatever.. why am I posting anyway ?

My guess is that you're trying to raise your post count, but whatever.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

G

>My guess is that you're trying to raise your post count,
>but whatever.

Yeah.. that would be it.. *sigh*.. But then maybe short posts like this would be more efficient, no ? Seriously though, i dont even have a clue of how many posts I have.. and I dont give rats ass either.. but I am bored to death here.

G

Good point. I myself have had both chips - Intel and AMD - Both were stable and had very few probs. The amd chips are incredibly easy to o'clock. Compared to intels efforts. Though they both tend to offer a lot. If intel brought down prices we would probably be looking at a more 50/50 split but due to the vfm of AMD then most users lean towards this. Intel has had their foot in the door for a long time. They have an established reputation. Even if the people in the know (ie self assemblers - us lot on thg) realise the stuff behind the scenes Intel have such a powerful marketing strategy that the general public see the TV ads and think - WOW intel inside with funky jingle. AMD - how many TV adverts do you see for AMD - none - its a specilised chip - It's not out to become an OEM dominator like INTEL - it's out there to provide the tuners, o'clockers, self assemblers something more. It's got more depth and offers for it's money.

You are responsible for any damage the info in your post may cause to my system.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, I'm just posting for the heck of it. Why would I try to raise my post count? To get a better title?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
that seems like a good idea.....nah...
btw...what the heck is a journeyman anyway?

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

FatBurger

Illustrious
A man who journeys.

Typically in Midieval/Rennaissance days, there were four levels in any given profession: Apprentice, Journeyman, something I can't remember, and Master.

Basically, you'd have an apprenticeship under a Master, then travel around the country (or countries) learning different techniques from others (Journeyman), then have a time where you (for example) had your own shop, then upon completing your masterpiece, you were known as a Master and would take on an apprentice to start the cycle again.

Make sense?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
FatBurner...errr FatBurger, did Fredie promise you an even better title?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I'm currently biased towards AMD because of the exceptional performance of the MP processors. But if the Northwoods come out and are same price I may switch. I think a lot of people are like that. They want the most bang for their buck.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, of course not. I was making a point.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
two words...rhetorical question (i hope i spelled that right).

-PSB

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yeah - there are a lot of AMD users in here. I think it dates back to the pre-price cuts on the Intel chips. As the prices of Intel drop more in line with the AMD prices, I think things will balance out.

To be honest, it is good to get more Intel/P4 users around. I still want to know as much as possible about the new systems and boards available so that when I next upgrade, I can make an informed choice between AMD and Intel again. When I bought earlier this year, AMD was the way forward. To be honest, imho, it still is currently, but by a smaller margin. Maybe once Northwood is out Intel will regain the top spot (in my books).

What rig do you have, what's good and bad about it?

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
If Intel can match their fastest chip to the price of AMD's, then I might go back. But for now, I'm going with the XP 1900+ after many years of using Intel's.

I'm looking forward to the change!

-¤ Shut the f*ck up or go AMD ¤-

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
Does the XP1900+ really out perform the 1800+ to warrant an extra $60 or more dollars?

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile: