Approximate Purchase Date: Around late December/Early January

Budget Range: Up to around $650-$750

System Usage: PC Gaming (Looking to replace console),

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Not sure what to put here

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Doesn't matter, as long as it ships to US

Parts Preferences: Intel processor, NVIDIA video card

Overclocking: Not sure what this means...could someone explain?

SLI or Crossfire: Could someone explain this too?

Your Monitor Resolution: I *think* my monitor is 1024x768, but I could be wrong

Additional Comments: I'm looking to replace console gaming with this PC. I have little experience with this kind of stuff, so any help would be appreciated :)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My Mac can't run PC games :/

malbluff

Honorable
Something like this will give decent gaming performance, for you budget, and monitor. Unfortunately, overclocking of CPU is not feasible at your budget. Sli (the ability to use TWO graphics cards), also isn't possible without more expensive motherboard, and power supply.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.15 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($229.95 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $774.03
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-12 19:25 EST-0500)

G

I would recomend getting a cheaper gpu and cpu. and get a nicer motherboard and psu. Either the 7850 2gb or a 6870 would be a good choice. and a good quality 550 or more watt psu, this will leave you room for future upgrades and if you psu dies or burns out it could fry your whole motherboard. and for a cpu I would suggest a good ivy bridge core i3. I you can afford an i5 I would definatley recomend that. But if you are on a budget the i3 is a good choice and is still sufficient for gaming.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I'd go with the first build mentioned, but, with a radeon 7850 instead of the 660 to save a little money, putting that build back down to your budget.. At your resolution, I'm sure that a 7850 can MAX out BF3. ^-^ Sorry if it isn't your preference, but right now, Radeon graphics cards are the way to go.

G

I would recomend this motherboardhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293. It has nice features, good crossfire support if you ever plan on doing such. and it's a standard atx board and not micro. Cheaping out on a motherboard is not a good idea. It is the backbone of your computer.

G

Yes but if he ever did want to crossfire he would only need a new psu and not a new motherboard. And even if he was not crossfireing it is still recomended to get a nicer board.

G

Still like I said you should still get a nicer motherboad. and crossfire is a good solution for budget builds and gives you more power for less money in a lot of cases.

G

That's why I said get a cheaper card! like the 7850 or the 6870. The 6870 is 60 bucks less then the current card listed which equals up to the same amount if you get a better board

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
May I ask why you wanted to get a NVIDIA card? At the moment I'm recommending AMD GPUs for most folks as contrary to most fanbois, AMD drivers are not bad at all. ++ with AMD's current financial situation we need to support them unless we want to be stuck with GPU wars between NVIDIA and Intel integrated graphics.

As for the PSU, the cheapest you can go is to the Antec high current gamer 520 watt. This is a high quality seasonic made PSU for a low price.

CPU, If you aren't too worried about power consumption, take a look at the FX4300 or FX6300. These are awesome bang for the buck, and offer decent performance in games.

G

eh I would not recomend those cpu's I have the 4300 and they really aren't that good. If your looking in that price range get an i3 it actually beats out a 4300 or. Like in the list the i5 is a good choice.

malbluff

Honorable

Yes, I selected the 660 on the basis of OPs stated preference for nVidia; best one at the budget. If OP's preference was based on the lead that nVidia has held, in BF3, that has certainly reduced, with the latest AMD drivers (of course it may go back up again, with new nVidia drivers), there isn't a huge performance difference, and HD7850 may be better value, although it should be a decent one, like MSI TwinFrozr, at least.
Wouldn't disagree with up-ing wattage to 500+, especially with 7850, it's a question of WHICH. The XFX is decent quality, and good value. Anything better, is a price increase. The Antec Basiq is possibly the best value/ reasonable quality, other than the 550w XFX. I'm not a huge fan of Corsair CX500V2

coryc

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

I had heard that they were the best. Like I said, I have very little experience in the field.

coryc

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks again so much. I might come back with more questions in the future once I get all my parts and actually start the build process. Now I at least know exactly what to buy. Thanks again!

- Cory

TRENDING THREADS