Pioneer or Lite-ON?

G

I'm on the hunt for a DVD drive to complete my rig. I had my heart set on a Pioneer 106 slot drive, but man they are getting harder and harder to find. They don't have them on Newegg anymore for some reason. I've heard good and bad things about it. Some people say it is quiet, others loud. Some people say it reads data cd's too slow to copy
cd's from it to my plextor 24/10/40. All I want is one that is relatively quiet, plays movies well, and is "fast enough" to keep up to a copy session with my plextor. My plextor does have the burn-proof and a 4 mb buffer so I
really don't think it would have problems "waiting" for the dvd to read cd's.

However, some people suggest the lite-on dvd drive. It's pretty cheap,comes with powerdvd software (is it just as good as powerdvd?), and has the fastest DAE of any dvd drive. That's nice and all but if it's loud and no faster at reading data I'd rather have the pioneer. The pioneer doesn't come with dvd software if I buy OEM, but my asus v8200 has asusdvd software. That should work just as well shouldn't it?

I know that Newegg doesn't have the lite-on it in stock right now

Also, I play a lot of games so it would be nice to have a dvd drive that reads pretty fast too. I guess I'm asking for the "perfect dvd drive." A guy can dream can't he?

"If It Ain't Broke....Tweak It!!!"

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I really recommend Toshiba DVD's. They're really fast and have good DAE. They're only about 70 bucks on pricewatch. I have heard good things about the LiteOn too, if you really want it now they have it on pricewath as well.
Oh the adress is www.pricewatch.com if you didn't know

Dev

Only users loose drugs!

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I had a pioneer 106s and it died :( but oh well..you were talking about copying cd's from your dvd rom to your burner, on the fly? Well I believe at 24x you won't be able to do such a thing at true 24x speed. What i suggest is that you just copy it using your burner or dvd rom, whatever you prefer, to your hard drive first and burn from there. Just a suggestion...

G

Well, I know that the pioneer reads data cd's at 40x, which is ok, and that my plextor 24/10/40 has burnproof and a 4 mb buffer, so I don't see where there would be a problem copying discs on the fly even if I try to do it a 24x. I have no problem using my plextor as the source and burner if need be.

I wanted the pioneer mainly for the slot loading over the lite-on. I also hear it is a little less loud which is a good thing. I'm sure the lite-on is a grat drive for the $, but unless someone tells me that the pioneer sux I'm leaning toward that.

"If It Ain't Broke....Tweak It!!!"

JP_MIGRAINE

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I would go for the lite-on it runs great, games play awesome with it too. the dvd movies look great on my pc but i need a new monitor to make it look even better....

And you cant beat the price..