Who was thinking about switching to a Mac?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 25, 2005 6:56:39 AM

http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561

I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.

More about : thinking switching mac

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 8:58:08 AM

In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
<no@yeah.right> wrote:

> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561

PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:06:24 PM

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
> <no@yeah.right> wrote:
>
>> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>
> PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
> could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.

Do it somewhere else.
February 25, 2005 12:06:25 PM

In article <111uc7mqk923156@corp.supernews.com>, Rudy Benner
<bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote:

> "Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> > In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
> > <no@yeah.right> wrote:
> >
> >> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
> >
> > PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
> > could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.
>
> Do it somewhere else.

Bite me.
February 25, 2005 12:27:48 PM

mouhahahaha

"Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> a écrit dans le message de
> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>
> I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:49:45 PM

"Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>
> I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.

He basically describes my first experience at using a Mac. In fact, I have
never been able to keep any Apple product running for more than a couple
hours, and I started using Apples with the II, which in exasperation I
finally got a Z80 board and switched to CPM. Now that Apple is running OS X,
a version of Unix, I would hope for better reliability.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:57:16 PM

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
> > http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
> >
> > I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.
>
> He basically describes my first experience at using a Mac. In fact, I have
> never been able to keep any Apple product running for more than a couple
> hours, and I started using Apples with the II, which in exasperation I
> finally got a Z80 board and switched to CPM. Now that Apple is running OS
X,
> a version of Unix, I was hoping for better reliability.

However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a joke.
If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad can
be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:00:11 PM

Brian Baird wrote:

> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>
> I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.

Thanks. I'm sending it to all my Mac addict friends...

February 25, 2005 4:25:02 PM

C J Campbell wrote:

> However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a joke.
> If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad can
> be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.

If the data on a harddisk is valuable to someone, it can be pulled out by the
very simple expedient of removing the diskdrive and connecting it as a non boot
drive to another system. All the data is easilly read. And even if a WinXP or
2000 machine would refuse to read it, just boot up under Linux and it is wide open.

The only way to protect data is to encrypt it well with something like PGP. At
that point, nobody, probably not even the NSA can expect to read it. (Rumors of
backdoors into PGP are just that, rumors. They may be there, nobody knows. And
the NSA probably don't care what's on your disk.)

Cheers,
Alan

February 25, 2005 5:44:20 PM

Yeah, pretty funny. Not truthful, but really funny.

In article <388qmdF5kf4ghU1@individual.net>, Chuck
<nospammm@no__spam.com> wrote:

> mouhahahaha
>
> "Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> a écrit dans le message de
> > http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
> >
> > I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:55:42 PM

A recent review of the $6000 dual processor MacG5 praised the G5 because the
G5 recovered well after crashing frequently while doing video editing. $6000
and a 90 day warranty.
The dirty secret of the Mac OS has always been lousy memory management: this
has only caught up to Windows 95 (Windows95!) by abandoning the original
software entirely and cobbling together a UNIX OS (hence the name OS "X" as
in Unix clone). However even this OS has undergone significant revisions,
for which consumers are charged, in its short lifetime. In switching to a
UNIX OS Apple brutally abandoned compatibility with prior software and
hardware, something even Microsoft has managed to handle in a more
reasonable fashion.
It is a real shame that Apple remained a monolithic hardware/software system
and never opened up for development so that it could be a genuine
alternative to Wintel. Even now the Apple UNIX OS clone could be ported to
an x86 cpu but then Apple would have to put real effort into developing the
OS into a stable platform that could run a wide variety of software and
hardware, something that has never been a priority for Apple.
There is a good reason virus writers hardly bother to attack the Apple OS:
it is not out of respect for Apple.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:15:18 PM

In article <250220050558085030%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
rag@nospam.techline.com says...
> In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
> <no@yeah.right> wrote:
>
> > http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>
> PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
> could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.

Note:

The person who made that is a Mac user. He uses a Mac because of Final
Cut Pro... and hates it.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:15:58 PM

In article <250220050641576226%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
rag@nospam.techline.com says...
> In article <111uc7mqk923156@corp.supernews.com>, Rudy Benner
> <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> wrote:
>
> > "Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message

> > > PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
> > > could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.
> >
> > Do it somewhere else.
>
> Bite me.

Civility, people! They're just freaking computers. They get e-mail,
porn and occasionally do real work about the same.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:31:28 PM

In article <cvnqht$6sr$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca says...
> The only way to protect data is to encrypt it well with something like PGP. At
> that point, nobody, probably not even the NSA can expect to read it. (Rumors of
> backdoors into PGP are just that, rumors. They may be there, nobody knows. And
> the NSA probably don't care what's on your disk.)

Well, unless you wear a turban and talk funny.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:19:12 PM

In article <a9mdnRxITvJi-4LfRVn-uA@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a joke.
> If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad can
> be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.

you can set an open firmware password (analagous to pc bios) so that
the powerbook cannot be booted without a password, including from
cd/dvd.

you can also encrypt your home folder with filevault (part of osx), and
even if someone stole your laptop and removed the hard drive, they'd
still have a tough time decrypting your home folder.

now what was that about it being a joke?
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:19:14 PM

In article <iMITd.726$C47.347@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, bmoag
<apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote:

> A recent review of the $6000 dual processor MacG5 praised the G5 because the
> G5 recovered well after crashing frequently while doing video editing.

which $6000 dual g5 is this? dual g5s start at $2000.

perhaps he added ram, hard drives and monitors - that costs the same on
a mac as it does on a pc.

> $6000
> and a 90 day warranty.

all macs have one year warranty.

> The dirty secret of the Mac OS has always been lousy memory management:

it is based on unix, which has excellent memory management.

> this
> has only caught up to Windows 95 (Windows95!) by abandoning the original
> software entirely and cobbling together a UNIX OS (hence the name OS "X" as
> in Unix clone).

cobbled?? i see you've done no research whatsoever on its architecture.

> However even this OS has undergone significant revisions,
> for which consumers are charged, in its short lifetime.

minor revisions are free, and major revisions do cost, but are
optional. they offer many compelling features, but you are welcome to
not upgrade.

windows xp was not free and longhorn will not be free.

> In switching to a
> UNIX OS Apple brutally abandoned compatibility with prior software and
> hardware, something even Microsoft has managed to handle in a more
> reasonable fashion.

actually, they did a stunning job of maintaining compatibility. just
about every app that ran in os9 will run in osx within classic, as well
as many applications from well before that. in fact, there are numerous
apps from the mid-80s that still work just fine, from when a mac had a
tiny 9" screen.

> It is a real shame that Apple remained a monolithic hardware/software system
> and never opened up for development so that it could be a genuine
> alternative to Wintel.

anyone can develop for the mac. the development environment is
included with every mac, every copy of osx and can be downloaded for
free as well. in addition, all documentation is available on line,
including many example programs.

most unix software ports with little to no problem whatsoever, and it
is easy to wrap a mac graphical user interface around old unix command
line utilities. alternately, one can write an app from scratch.

there has never been a restriction on developing software or hardware
the mac, ever. all information necessary to write mac software and
develop hardware has always been available in book form and/or on line,
since day one.

> Even now the Apple UNIX OS clone could be ported to
> an x86 cpu but then Apple would have to put real effort into developing the
> OS into a stable platform that could run a wide variety of software and
> hardware, something that has never been a priority for Apple.

more misinformation. the kernel of osx is open source and has already
been ported to intel. and being unix underneath, it runs a huge
variety of software, including x11 apps, as well as all the major
software packages such as microsoft office, adobe photoshop, etc.

> There is a good reason virus writers hardly bother to attack the Apple OS:
> it is not out of respect for Apple.

the fact virus writers don't bother is a welcome feature. furthermore,
there are substantially fewer security holes than windows, so the
possibilities are much more limited. it is a lot harder to wreck havoc.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:32:19 PM

<apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote:

> A recent review of the $6000 dual processor MacG5 praised the G5 because the
> G5 recovered well after crashing frequently while doing video editing. $6000
> and a 90 day warranty.
> The dirty secret of the Mac OS has always been lousy memory management: this
> has only caught up to Windows 95 (Windows95!) by abandoning the original
> software entirely and cobbling together a UNIX OS (hence the name OS "X" as
> in Unix clone). However even this OS has undergone significant revisions,
> for which consumers are charged, in its short lifetime. In switching to a
> UNIX OS Apple brutally abandoned compatibility with prior software and
> hardware, something even Microsoft has managed to handle in a more
> reasonable fashion.
> It is a real shame that Apple remained a monolithic hardware/software system
> and never opened up for development so that it could be a genuine
> alternative to Wintel. Even now the Apple UNIX OS clone could be ported to
> an x86 cpu but then Apple would have to put real effort into developing the
> OS into a stable platform that could run a wide variety of software and
> hardware, something that has never been a priority for Apple.
> There is a good reason virus writers hardly bother to attack the Apple OS:
> it is not out of respect for Apple.

You should stop reading reviews and check out the real world. OS X is
far more stable than any version of Windows.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:33:20 PM

In article <MPG.1c89353f91e0c9098a6b0@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
<no@yeah.right> wrote:

> In article <250220050558085030%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
> rag@nospam.techline.com says...
> > In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
> > <no@yeah.right> wrote:
> >
> > > http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
> >
> > PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
> > could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.
>
> Note:
>
> The person who made that is a Mac user. He uses a Mac because of Final
> Cut Pro... and hates it.

And he has a clear case of Clue Deficit Disorder.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:08:43 AM

nospam wrote:

> In article <iMITd.726$C47.347@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, bmoag
> <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

> > In switching to a
> > UNIX OS Apple brutally abandoned compatibility with prior software and
> > hardware, something even Microsoft has managed to handle in a more
> > reasonable fashion.
>
> actually, they did a stunning job of maintaining compatibility. just
> about every app that ran in os9 will run in osx within classic, as well
> as many applications from well before that. in fact, there are numerous
> apps from the mid-80s that still work just fine, from when a mac had a
> tiny 9" screen.

Stunning, perhaps, but not in a good way. Programs run, but Classic
mode lacks some capabilities of Classic OS. Network printing can be
iffy, or worse.

On hardware, Apple's level of legacy support is laughable compared to
the Wintel world. You may be able to run a program from a doorstop Mac,
but you can't use the keyboard from it. But with a trivially
inexpensive adaptor you can use the keyboard from a PC of the same era
on a brand new PC today. Only now are "legacy" ISA slots starting to
disapear from PCs.

Lisa
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:57:26 AM

In article <4220207B.A3C803B7@lisahorton.net>, Lisa Horton
<Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote:

> > actually, they did a stunning job of maintaining compatibility. just
> > about every app that ran in os9 will run in osx within classic, as well
> > as many applications from well before that. in fact, there are numerous
> > apps from the mid-80s that still work just fine, from when a mac had a
> > tiny 9" screen.
>
> Stunning, perhaps, but not in a good way. Programs run, but Classic
> mode lacks some capabilities of Classic OS.

of course it lacks some capabilities than when booting os 9 natively.
however, the sheer majority of apps and even things which directly
modified os 9's behaviour work without a problem. but there will be a
few that will have some issues.

how many windows 3.1 apps can still run in xp without any problem
whatsoever?

just like everything else, macs are not without problems. the
transition from os 9 to os x was a huge change and it was relatively
smooth. unfortunately, there were a few bumps along the way and some
things did get left behind. a lot of effort was put into maintaining
compatibility where possible, but sometimes the cord must be cut as
technology progresses.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 8:45:00 AM

In article <a9mdnRxITvJi-4LfRVn-uA@wavecable.com>,
"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
> > > http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
> > >
> > > I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.
> >
> > He basically describes my first experience at using a Mac. In fact, I have
> > never been able to keep any Apple product running for more than a couple
> > hours, and I started using Apples with the II, which in exasperation I
> > finally got a Z80 board and switched to CPM. Now that Apple is running OS
> X,
> > a version of Unix, I was hoping for better reliability.
>
> However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a joke.
> If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad can
> be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.

Exactly the same as a Mac. Of course, you can set it up so it doesn't
need a password to operate or look at the data, but even then, you will
need one to modify the operating system. If you take advantage of the
default mode, which requires a password to operate the computer, no one
can access ANY of your data.

Merritt
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 10:50:26 AM

"nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <a9mdnRxITvJi-4LfRVn-uA@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a
joke.
> > If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad
can
> > be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.
>
> you can set an open firmware password (analagous to pc bios) so that
> the powerbook cannot be booted without a password, including from
> cd/dvd.
>
> you can also encrypt your home folder with filevault (part of osx), and
> even if someone stole your laptop and removed the hard drive, they'd
> still have a tough time decrypting your home folder.
>
> now what was that about it being a joke?

So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple mention it
on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of national
secret?
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:22:26 AM

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
[]
> XP - stable? Windows 2000 was a much better product and far less
> ugly.

In my experience both Windows XP and Windows 2000 are suitable to 24 x 7
running without crashes or memory leaks.

David
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:49:29 PM

nospam wrote:

> In article <4220207B.A3C803B7@lisahorton.net>, Lisa Horton
> <Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote:
>
> > > actually, they did a stunning job of maintaining compatibility. just
> > > about every app that ran in os9 will run in osx within classic, as well
> > > as many applications from well before that. in fact, there are numerous
> > > apps from the mid-80s that still work just fine, from when a mac had a
> > > tiny 9" screen.
> >
> > Stunning, perhaps, but not in a good way. Programs run, but Classic
> > mode lacks some capabilities of Classic OS.
>
> of course it lacks some capabilities than when booting os 9 natively.
> however, the sheer majority of apps and even things which directly
> modified os 9's behaviour work without a problem. but there will be a
> few that will have some issues.

Typical of a Mac apologist, snipping out the description of the
incomplete parts of Classic Mode. Sure, the sheer majority of apps
work, as long as your printing situation is simple and doesn't involve
certain kinds of network printers. Yup, it's all great, until you need
to print.

> how many windows 3.1 apps can still run in xp without any problem
> whatsoever?

How about a more appropriate comparison, like Win 95 programs under XP?

> just like everything else, macs are not without problems. the
> transition from os 9 to os x was a huge change and it was relatively
> smooth. unfortunately, there were a few bumps along the way and some
> things did get left behind. a lot of effort was put into maintaining
> compatibility where possible, but sometimes the cord must be cut as
> technology progresses.

Certain cords anyway, like serial ports. I have a printer I bought in
96, it still works great and I like it a lot. I haven't been able to
use it on a new Mac in years, as it uses serial to talk to Macs. But I
can still use it on virtually any new PC, as they still have the legacy
support parallel ports.

The Mac has a lot of good points and strengths, legacy support just
isn't one of them.

Lisa
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:21:28 PM

> "nospam" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > In article <a9mdnRxITvJi-4LfRVn-uA@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
> > <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a
> joke.
> > > If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The
ThinkPad
> can
> > > be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.
> >
> > you can set an open firmware password (analagous to pc bios) so that
> > the powerbook cannot be booted without a password, including from
> > cd/dvd.
> >
> > you can also encrypt your home folder with filevault (part of osx), and
> > even if someone stole your laptop and removed the hard drive, they'd
> > still have a tough time decrypting your home folder.
> >
> > now what was that about it being a joke?
>
> So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple mention
it
> on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of national
> secret?

They're not hiding File Vault:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleS...

And the Open Firmware password is pretty common knowledge.

Greg
--
"Keep music evil" - Fatima Mansions
February 26, 2005 2:35:12 PM

In article <NY-dneJQ7pdaB73fRVn-og@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple mention it
> on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of national
> secret?

They do mention it on their web site. Apparently you are either not
literate, or have your own agenda of spouting misinformation or
both......

--
Charles
Anonymous

In article <6lWTd.23818$8B3.1946@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
>Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>[]
>> XP - stable? Windows 2000 was a much better product and far less
>> ugly.
>
>In my experience both Windows XP and Windows 2000 are suitable to 24 x 7
>running without crashes or memory leaks.

That may be a function of what applications are in use. I have
fewer problems with Windows 2000 -- but I use it very little -- just
for things for which I cannot (yet) get unix programs. (Examples are the
annual income tax software, and (until recently) processing RAW images
from the Nikon D70 (to get us back on topic slightly).

And I do *not* allow a Windows system to handle e-mail or to
contact the outside world.

Most of what I do uses either Sun's Solaris (in various
versions), or OpenBSD. And *those* I find suitable for 24/7 operation.

izalco up 9+05:31, 3 users, load 0.07, 0.10, 0.32
popocat-2 up 32+11:43, 0 users, load 0.16, 0.13, 0.08
shindig up 43+10:50, 0 users, load 0.03, 0.02, 0.03
stromboli up 46+12:35, 1 user, load 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
fuego up 60+15:49, 7 users, load 0.00, 0.00, 0.02
popocat up 61+21:24, 0 users, load 1.08, 0.63, 0.22
cadeau up 87+02:18, 3 users, load 0.09, 0.13, 0.20
sponge up 88+13:43, 0 users, load 0.17, 0.12, 0.08
curlmakr up 101+23:35, 0 users, load 0.10, 0.10, 0.08
twenty20 up 311+14:53, 0 users, load 0.00, 0.00, 0.01
ceilidh up ??:??, 0 users, load 0.10, 0.16, 0.16

Those figures following "up" are in the format:

days+hours:minutes

and the one at the bottom of the list happens to have been up
sufficiently long to overflow the display format. Using a different
program (instead of "ruptime" to show a list of machines), I see:

1:37pm up 411 day(s), 21:34, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.11

with the plain "uptime" program -- so it has been up for well over a
year. And it happens to be the oldest OS in the collection. The times
for the others reflect when I needed to make hardware changes (thus
requiring a powerdown and reboot), or when a power outage took out those
which were not on UPS (the servers are the main ones on UPS), or, (in
the case of ceilidh), when there was a sufficiently long power outage to
require taking all systems on the UPS down before the UPS ran out of
battery charge. (O.K. Izalco happens to have a flakey memory SIMM,
which takes it down once every few months, but it reboots cleanly on its
own, and continues to perform its job. :-) It is not enough of a problem
for me to track down which SIMM is the problem.

Enjoy,
DoN.

February 26, 2005 5:39:09 PM

Randall Ainsworth wrote:

> You should stop reading reviews and check out the real world. OS X is
> far more stable than any version of Windows.

As long as you don't actually use the system up to its claimed full potential.

February 26, 2005 5:39:10 PM

In article <cvqj8t$9c9$2@inews.gazeta.pl>, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>
> > You should stop reading reviews and check out the real world. OS X is
> > far more stable than any version of Windows.
>
> As long as you don't actually use the system up to its claimed full potential.

I have had OS X die on me just once, and that was the initial release
several years ago.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:44:00 PM

nospam wrote:

> In article <4220207B.A3C803B7@lisahorton.net>, Lisa Horton
> <Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote:
>

>>>actually, they did a stunning job of maintaining compatibility. just
>>>about every app that ran in os9 will run in osx within classic, as well
>>>as many applications from well before that. in fact, there are numerous
>>>apps from the mid-80s that still work just fine, from when a mac had a
>>>tiny 9" screen.
>>
>>Stunning, perhaps, but not in a good way. Programs run, but Classic
>>mode lacks some capabilities of Classic OS.
>

> of course it lacks some capabilities than when booting os 9 natively.
> however, the sheer majority of apps and even things which directly
> modified os 9's behaviour work without a problem. but there will be a
> few that will have some issues.
>
> how many windows 3.1 apps can still run in xp without any problem
> whatsoever?

I'm currently running code I compiled for DOS back in the early 90's. Direct to
the h/w use of timers, interrupts, serial I/O, reads/writes files, etc. I can
recompile with my old DOS MS and Borland compilers and assemblers, no prob.

Even Excel which starts badly uner XP still _works_ under XP.

> just like everything else, macs are not without problems. the
> transition from os 9 to os x was a huge change and it was relatively
> smooth. unfortunately, there were a few bumps along the way and some
> things did get left behind. a lot of effort was put into maintaining
> compatibility where possible, but sometimes the cord must be cut as
> technology progresses.

I'd say there are many more PC programs that have survived through more OS
changes than Mac.

Cheers,
Alan

February 27, 2005 1:41:07 AM

"Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <NY-dneJQ7pdaB73fRVn-og@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple
mention it
> > on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of
national
> > secret?
>
> They do mention it on their web site. Apparently you are either not
> literate, or have your own agenda of spouting misinformation or
> both......

Looked all over it and did not see it. I certainly have no agenda there. I
may be blind but I am not illiterate!
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:42:53 AM

"G.T." <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> > So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple
mention
> it
> > on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of
national
> > secret?
> >

> They're not hiding File Vault:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleS...

> And the Open Firmware password is pretty common knowledge.

Well, apparently so -- except one store where I was asking questions (which
shall remain nameless). Thank you for the information.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:46:27 AM

In article <NY-dneJQ7pdaB73fRVn-og@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

> So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple mention it
> on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of national
> secret?

<http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/filevault/&gt;
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:04:23 AM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>
>> You should stop reading reviews and check out the real world. OS X is
>> far more stable than any version of Windows.
>

> As long as you don't actually use the system up to its claimed full
> potential.

Anecdotal.

--
john mcwilliams
Anonymous

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
> <no@yeah.right> wrote:
>

>>http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>

> PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
> could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.

did you know that, the clueless chap (who is acting in that video clip),
is Bill Gate's illegitimate son that he had with Hillary Clinton :) ))
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:51:58 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Brian Baird wrote:
>
>> http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>>
>> I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.
>

> Thanks. I'm sending it to all my Mac addict friends...

that's an old one, all your Mac addict friends have seen it.

Shows you how slow you peecee users are :) )))
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:03:22 PM

bmoag wrote:
> A recent review of the $6000 dual processor MacG5 praised the G5 because the
> G5 recovered well after crashing frequently while doing video editing. $6000
> and a 90 day warranty.
> The dirty secret of the Mac OS has always been lousy memory management: this
> has only caught up to Windows 95 (Windows95!) by abandoning the original
> software entirely and cobbling together a UNIX OS (hence the name OS "X" as
> in Unix clone). However even this OS has undergone significant revisions,
> for which consumers are charged, in its short lifetime. In switching to a
> UNIX OS Apple brutally abandoned compatibility with prior software and
> hardware, something even Microsoft has managed to handle in a more
> reasonable fashion.
> It is a real shame that Apple remained a monolithic hardware/software system
> and never opened up for development so that it could be a genuine
> alternative to Wintel. Even now the Apple UNIX OS clone could be ported to
> an x86 cpu but then Apple would have to put real effort into developing the
> OS into a stable platform that could run a wide variety of software and
> hardware, something that has never been a priority for Apple.
> There is a good reason virus writers hardly bother to attack the Apple OS:
> it is not out of respect for Apple.

Bmoag, where did you get that $6000 price????
A top of the line dual 2.5 Ghz cost $3000 US

Why not check it out
http://www.apple.com/powermac/
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:06:43 PM

C J Campbell wrote:
> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
>>
>>>http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>>>
>>>I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.
>>
>>He basically describes my first experience at using a Mac. In fact, I have
>>never been able to keep any Apple product running for more than a couple
>>hours, and I started using Apples with the II, which in exasperation I
>>finally got a Z80 board and switched to CPM. Now that Apple is running OS
>
> X,
>
>>a version of Unix, I was hoping for better reliability.
>

> However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a joke.
> If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad can
> be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.

Wrong again, another misinformed peecee user
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:09:37 PM

C J Campbell wrote:
> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Brian Baird" <no@yeah.right> wrote in message
>>
>>>http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>>>
>>>I couldn't stop laughing. Too funny.
>>
>>He basically describes my first experience at using a Mac. In fact, I have
>>never been able to keep any Apple product running for more than a couple
>>hours, and I started using Apples with the II, which in exasperation I
>>finally got a Z80 board and switched to CPM. Now that Apple is running OS
>
> X,
>
>>a version of Unix, I was hoping for better reliability.
>

> However, I decided against the PowerBook. Security on this laptop is a joke.
> If your laptop is stolen, anyone can access all your data. The ThinkPad can
> be set so that it cannot even access its own BIOS without a password.

wrong, another misinformed peecee user
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:47:22 PM

Charles wrote:
> In article <NY-dneJQ7pdaB73fRVn-og@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple mention it
>>on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of national
>>secret?
>

> They do mention it on their web site. Apparently you are either not
> literate, or have your own agenda of spouting misinformation or
> both......

There's alot more places to get info from then just a salesman
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:08:49 PM

"yonzie" <yonzieee@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Charles wrote:
> > In article <NY-dneJQ7pdaB73fRVn-og@wavecable.com>, C J Campbell
> > <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>So why don't salespeople know about it and why doesn't even Apple
mention it
> >>on their web site? Is the existence of this feature some sort of
national
> >>secret?
> >

> > They do mention it on their web site. Apparently you are either not
> > literate, or have your own agenda of spouting misinformation or
> > both......
> >

> There's alot more places to get info from then just a salesman

Wrong, another misinformed Macintrash user.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:13:42 PM

Brian Baird wrote:
> In article <250220050558085030%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
> rag@nospam.techline.com says...
>
>>In article <MPG.1c885b93f6c9fbdd98a6a7@news.verizon.net>, Brian Baird
>><no@yeah.right> wrote:
>>

>>>http://webflash.com/indexframe.php?id=561
>>
>>PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
>>could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.
>

> Note:
>
> The person who made that is a Mac user. He uses a Mac because of Final
> Cut Pro... and hates it.

Mac's are sooo great. Through the years Mac has commanded 10% of the
computer market going to 7% then 5% and now commands a huge 3% of the
computer market. Yes sir, perhaps in years to come, Mac's will become
the ultimate computer and fade away.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:02:41 AM

Wayan wrote:
> "yonzie" <yonzieee@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Charles wrote:

> mention it

> national

>>>They do mention it on their web site. Apparently you are either not
>>>literate, or have your own agenda of spouting misinformation or
>>>both......
>>>

>>There's alot more places to get info from then just a salesman
>

> Wrong, another misinformed Macintrash user.

So what are you trying to say peecee weenie user:) ))
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 3:24:09 AM

nick c wrote:
> Brian Baird wrote:
>
>> In article <250220050558085030%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
>> rag@nospam.techline.com says...

>>> PeeCee people are so clueless. Wish I had access to a video camera...I
>>> could do a great rant on Windows, especially XP.
>>

>> Note:
>>
>> The person who made that is a Mac user. He uses a Mac because of
>> Final Cut Pro... and hates it.
>

> Mac's are sooo great. Through the years Mac has commanded 10% of the
> computer market going to 7% then 5% and now commands a huge 3% of the
> computer market. Yes sir, perhaps in years to come, Mac's will become
> the ultimate computer and fade away.

Wrong again, another misinformed peecee user.
Peecee users are buying more peecees because their machines are breaking
down quicker and have to be replaced.
Check consumer reports and see who has better service and realibility
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:17:42 PM

Guys, guys, guys!

This wasn't to start a pissing match. It was just a humorous little
movie clip. Calm down already.

No one, and I mean NO ONE is going to buy a Macintosh because of the
recommendation of a Mac fanatic. So give it up already.

Likewise, Macs aren't the devil. They're a different platform. Are we
going to attack Sun workstations too?
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:54:20 PM

"Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net> wrote in news:NamdndeYPIJWAr7fRVn-
oQ@giganews.com:

> It's been all downhill since the TRS-80 Model I...

.........AND YER LITTLE DOG TOO!
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:00:30 AM

In article <NamdndeYPIJWAr7fRVn-oQ@giganews.com>, rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net
says...
> It's been all downhill since the TRS-80 Model I...

I actually had one of those. I loved the one line readout. Very
cutting edge.
March 1, 2005 2:00:31 AM

In article <MPG.1c8d6c96af83e1eb98a6fe@news.verizon.net>, no@yeah.right
says...
> In article <NamdndeYPIJWAr7fRVn-oQ@giganews.com>, rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net
> says...
> > It's been all downhill since the TRS-80 Model I...
>
> I actually had one of those. I loved the one line readout. Very
> cutting edge.

I was using one of those while the guys at IBM were still laughing up their
sleeves at the thought of the "common people" actually having computers in
their HOMES..

What would they do with them???

Then I got a model 2 and an external hard drive... 10 megabytes (a biggie)
and it was so small it only took as much space as 3 toasters stacked on top
of each other.

Memory was about $250 per MB, if you shopped REALLY hard.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

In article <MPG.1c8d71c1c32cfbad989718@news.individual.NET>,
Larry <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote:
>In article <MPG.1c8d6c96af83e1eb98a6fe@news.verizon.net>, no@yeah.right
>says...
>> In article <NamdndeYPIJWAr7fRVn-oQ@giganews.com>, rch.NOS-PAM@blarg.net
>> says...
>> > It's been all downhill since the TRS-80 Model I...
>>
>> I actually had one of those. I loved the one line readout. Very
>> cutting edge.
>>

>I was using one of those while the guys at IBM were still laughing up their
>sleeves at the thought of the "common people" actually having computers in
>their HOMES..
>
>What would they do with them???

And prior to the release of the TRS-80, I got and built my first
home computer -- A MITS Altair 680b (Not the MITS Altair 8800 which
preceded it, but the Motorola 6800 based on.) And yes -- I still have
it.

>Then I got a model 2 and an external hard drive... 10 megabytes (a biggie)
>and it was so small it only took as much space as 3 toasters stacked on top
>of each other.

Don't get me started on the rest of my machines -- especially in
*this* newsgroup, where it is all way off topic unless it can run
software and hardware for downloading images from the camera/CF card and
process those images. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
March 2, 2005 1:58:21 PM

nospam wrote:
> Lisa Horton <Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote:
>
> > Typical of a Mac apologist...
>
> i'm not apologizing for anything.

There are things to apologize for, but to apologize for incompatibility
with ancient software/hardware is IMO a bit of a credibility stretch.

By Lisa's standards, we should complain that the version of Photoshop
that ran under Win95 isn't compatible with RAW files from an N70 or
20D.

FWIW, I've heard Lisa make this "printer" complaint before, although
this one is written slightly differently than it has in the past: I
don't recall hearing the 9-year-old printer part...I heard it as the
correct observation that Classic mode doesn't do well printing to
Network Printers.

....which begs the question of what Pre-OS X software she needs to run
in Classic and if the underlying problem is an unwillingness to either
(a) keep an old PC around to act as a print server, or (b) pay to
upgrade the software revision to the one that runs under OS X.

Similarly, if there is now being thrown in a 9 year old printer into
the mix, for credibility's sake, I'd be curious to know what the
Make/Model is that is so valuable to keep, instead of just buying a new
one. Afterall, I have a similarly ancient (~decade old) printer that
I've just retired, because:

(a) its rubber paper handling rollers had dried out, so it jambed
constantly;
(b) its toner cartridges were discontinued;
(c) the OEM hadn't written updated print drivers for 7+ years (for any
OS);
(d) the equivalent replacement today sells for "cheap".

On the photography side of things, we recognize that film is in decline
in part due to digital. No one is being forced to immediately make the
switch, but by the same token, only the most unrealistic is assuming
that they'll still be able to buy an inexpensive consumer-grade slide
projector ten years from today (although they're also the ones who like
to think that they'll also be able to buy an analog 17" CRT for $50 in
10-15 years from now too).

> > The Mac has a lot of good points and strengths, legacy support just
> > isn't one of them.
>
> for most users, old software and hardware continues to work. legacy
> support isn't 100% nor did they claim it would be, but given how much
> changed, i find it rather impressive that most things can still be
> used.

We all use what works for us, and personally, when I hear people like
Lisa try to infer that the Mac is worse than the PC in regards to
support of legacy stuff, I'm reminded of the famous Microsoft phrase of
"Approved Hardware" that has been quite a headache for upgrader, be
their chore to move up to NT, or for 2000, or for XP. I'm waiting with
baited breath for someone to predict that Longhorn won't have this
problem too. :-)

In the end, no one today whines about Canon's decision of a decade ago
to not afford backwards-compatibility between FE and FD lenses. It was
a bit of an issue at the time, but most people were still objective
enough to appreciate that the plusses outweighed the negatives. For
those who refuse change at any cost, go buy a Brownie and shoot B&W
film exclusively.

-hh
!