Sign in with
Your question

1st PC Build TOO HOT!! Need Help Please!

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2012 9:57:33 PM

Hi! I just recently built my first computer from scratch after years of doing "upgrade's" and piecing other computers together. I thought I was ready and for the most part I am successful. The problem is the CPU is running hotter than i'd like it to be tipping 55c when playing DDO online. The system Temp stays around 28-36c so thats good (im guessing).

Build specs:
Thermaltake Commander msi Case
AMD Phenom 2 1045t x6 core CPU
Gigabyte 970a-ud3 Motherboard
MSI R6770 1gb gddr5 Video card
Cosair vengence 2x8gb 1600 gddr3 Ram
Thermaltake TR2 600w PSU
seagate barracuda 7200.12 500gb (had left around)
some $15 LG dvd/cd writer (only use for OS install)
Windows 7 home premium

the only pc parts store in my state is microcenter so im stuck shopping with them.

The case has 4 120mm fan spots. 2 for intake (front/bottom) and 2 for exaust (rear/top).
I removed the rear fan that the case came with and installed a thermaltake fan running at 2k rpm (2 times faster than stock).
I have antec 3 speed fans on high for the bottom and top fan. The top fan is supposed to be located above the ram per the manual but requires a 15mm thick fan and not the 25mm stated. so the top fan is now dirrectly above the cpu. This computer is way louder than im comfortable with. I have this hooked up to a hometheater so the noise takes away from the expirence.

the cpu fan and heatsink is stock from the box. the warranty stats that use of anyother fan/heatsink voids the warrenty. Im thinking thats just what they want, run too hot and void the warrent or cool it down and void the warrenty... whatever its too hot.

Im thinking of installing a watercolling system but im very hesitant. the thought of liquid inside a computer is kinda scary. i remember putting a gasket on a car thermo-intake and after the 3rd attempt it still leaked... had to drive it around with a big C-Clamp on it untill I ended up donating it.

OK, so is there a way to cool down the cpu without using water but keeping the system quite? or should i go with liquid cooling? I can put around $100 into this problem.

Thanks much for reading!!!

More about : 1st build hot

a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 10:09:48 PM

55c is not too hot; you can touch the base of the heatsink at this temp, and you won't even get burned. This is a normal temp when your cpu is under load while gaming. I would not waste any money on liquid cooling; you're ok. Intel allows up to 72c on it's new cpus.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 10:19:23 PM

I agree with o1die, 55C isn't too hot. You wouldn't want a lot hotter, but no it's not too hot.
m
l
Related resources
November 12, 2012 10:28:29 PM

Augray37 said:
I agree with o1die, 55C isn't too hot. You wouldn't want a lot hotter, but no it's not too hot.

55c is its current high-point @ 3 weeks old. it didn't used to get above 49c under the same conditions. Im worried its going to keep rising, i've had to continuously raise the cpu temp alarm.. almost daily.

AMD states 71c is its highest operating temp but whats the sweet spot for optimal performance and longevity?
The noise is still a BIG factor. is liquid cooling any quieter?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 10:36:58 PM

55 is good if you are testing it very hard... run
y-cruncher
http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/#Download

and monitor temps with
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

make sure it does not go about 60... 55 is not too bad just a bit too close to 60 if you are not overclocking it

also get the hyper212 evo
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2...
It will run as cool as a water cooling(h-series) and is not that loud, also a lot cheaper
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 10:40:56 PM

i totally agree with panicmaster85, get the hyper 212 evo. THAT will cure any ailments your CPU has. no question.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 10:44:16 PM

yessir
m
l
November 12, 2012 10:47:01 PM

PanicMaster85 said:
:sleep: 
also get the hyper212 evo
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2...
It will run as cool as a water cooling(h-series) and is not that loud, also a lot cheaper

Thanks for that! The temp program im using came with the MB but doesn't show the core temps like the link you provided.

I read today that because of my choice in RAM with Vengence that most aftermarket heatsinks wont fit due to the height of the ram. Any insight into that?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2012 11:15:22 PM

well possibly not but how many if you have the fan blowing toward the ram then you should be fine, also how many sticks do you have? and how many busses because if your uisng two sticks with 4 slots then your fine
m
l
!