Geforce 310m problem with graphics

Jack420

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hello, :hello:
This is my first post so here we go. I have a Sony Vaio F series with 4gb ram and an nvidia geforce 310m independant graphics card. I have some computer knowledge.... My laptop keeps shutting down when im playing games like WOW or SC2 or even browser based games like CandC Tiberium Alliance and I have also noticed that the graphics settings for texture filtering was recommended as low(Starcraft 2)....this is weird because according to the game, a graphics card that is 256mb should be at medium and 128 should be for low. I have the most recent driver for the card as well.

Second Problem: This is why i really think somethings up...when i have a second monitor connected i can go to display and have them both set to the native reslution with is 1600x900...if i restart the computer while the second monitor is connected, the laptop monitor will be set automaticlaly to like 1480x....and wont even give me the opiton to putting it at 1600x900. I have to disconnect the second monitor, hit detect...and it seems to reset the options to give me 1600x900.

Things i have done.

I thought it might be over heating so i made sure i had adequate circulation. It even happens when i have the A/C on.

When was playing SC2 today in the middle of a battle my laptop shut down. Sometime it blue screens but thats when i have the second monitor connected.

If you need any other info, let me know and i'll do my best to get it for ya

ancjak

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
hi,
check if it's overheating using hwmonitor or similar software where you can see gpu temperature. bellow 85c is ok(when gaming,idel around 50c). i have same 310m vga with 2gig ram it's been stressed to it limits still working fine . it works mostly 24/7 and i have played hours crysis 1 and 2 ,half life all episodes, fallout3,nfs shift ect ect ect obviuosly not in maximum settings (this is just a entry level vid card just above intel one's). still didn't get a single unsolvable problem . of cause i had bsod's several times but very rare due to software errors .
since this is just a entry level vid card when i stress it, i always monitor temperatures both on gpu and cpu closely maintaining above limit to maximum 85c . i have even gone to 95c on cpu and 90c on gpu but still it worked fine,