Why can I access localhost, but not my static broadband IP?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

AFAIK, this has never worked (previously on ISDN) ... maybe it isn't
supposed to.

Please enlighten me.

Details:

The current service I'm configuring is Icecast (port 8000), but in the
past I've noticed the same behaviour with Apache and other services.

My static IP (with my ISP) is 195.149.2.191 (kgr.dial.nildram.co.uk),
LAN IP is 192.168.0.2, and localhost is 127.0.0.1 (of course).

I'm using a Netgear DG834GT wireless ADSL router, configured with port
forwarding to 192.168.0.2 which is a reserved address for the MAC of the
802.11 card on the host. Various services, including 8000 is open for
TCP, then forwarded to 192.168.0.2. The fact that others can see and use
these service indicates that the setup is working, but ...

Whenever I set up any service, on any port, and configure the router and
firewall to allow access, users outside my private network (Internet)
can see and use that service. I can also access that service locally,
either via "localhost", "<hostname>", or 127.0.0.1. What I *can't* do is
access that service, on the host machine, by referring to "195.149.2.191".

Why not?

Is this the correct behaviour?

If so, why? Is it some kind of infinite loop problem (localhost ->
105.149.2.191 -> localhost)?

Further details if required.

TIA,

-
[H]omer
1 answer Last reply
More about access localhost static broadband
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

    "[H]omer" wrote:

    > AFAIK, this has never worked (previously on ISDN) ... maybe it isn't
    > supposed to.
    >
    > Please enlighten me.
    >
    > Details:
    >
    > The current service I'm configuring is Icecast (port 8000), but in the
    > past I've noticed the same behaviour with Apache and other services.
    >
    > My static IP (with my ISP) is 195.149.2.191 (kgr.dial.nildram.co.uk),
    > LAN IP is 192.168.0.2, and localhost is 127.0.0.1 (of course).
    >
    > I'm using a Netgear DG834GT wireless ADSL router, configured with port
    > forwarding to 192.168.0.2 which is a reserved address for the MAC of the
    > 802.11 card on the host. Various services, including 8000 is open for
    > TCP, then forwarded to 192.168.0.2. The fact that others can see and use
    > these service indicates that the setup is working, but ...
    >
    > Whenever I set up any service, on any port, and configure the router and
    > firewall to allow access, users outside my private network (Internet)
    > can see and use that service. I can also access that service locally,
    > either via "localhost", "<hostname>", or 127.0.0.1. What I *can't* do is
    > access that service, on the host machine, by referring to "195.149.2.191".
    >
    > Why not?
    >
    > Is this the correct behaviour?
    >
    > If so, why? Is it some kind of infinite loop problem (localhost ->
    > 105.149.2.191 -> localhost)?
    >
    > Further details if required.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > -
    > [H]omer

    You can't for about the same reason you can't phone yourself.
    Apparently for an outbound request a router is not able to recognize your WAN
    address as the adress of a local server and does nothing with it.
    However, you can use a proxy server, if available; if not, you can try
    http://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl

Internet Service Providers Localhost Networking