Sign in with
Your question

Some Windows 8 help

Last response: in Windows 8
January 31, 2013 10:17:22 PM

So I am currently building a new gaming rig for myself, with the help of the community members and a local shop.

Am looking to purchase Windows 8 and I have ran into a problem, I have no idea what the differences are. I have Win7 64bit on my current gaming rig that I had built for me in 2010.

Would I be looking for a 64 bit Windows 8 Operating System again for my new gaming rig?

What does this OEM thing mean at the end of the title when I look on websites like newegg.ca and amazon?

Thank you for your help,
Kyle

More about : windows

a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 10:35:16 PM

If you want to upgrade to Win 8, then yes you will need Win 8 Pro 64-bit - but why? Win 7 Pro is a great OS.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This means that Microsoft will not have any free technical support, and you are on your own to figure out solutions to problems that may occur.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 10:37:48 PM

Stick with 7 for gaming....8 has some problems with certain games...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
January 31, 2013 10:44:37 PM

If your existing OS is Win 7 Pro (or Ultimate) then you have the capability of Virtual PC (XP-Mode) which is not available on any version of Windows 8.

On my latest (3 weeks old) i7 3770K build I chose to have Win 7 Pro 64-bit so that I can continue to use my older Autocad program that will run only on Win XP.
m
l
!