Some Windows 8 help

So I am currently building a new gaming rig for myself, with the help of the community members and a local shop.

Am looking to purchase Windows 8 and I have ran into a problem, I have no idea what the differences are. I have Win7 64bit on my current gaming rig that I had built for me in 2010.

Would I be looking for a 64 bit Windows 8 Operating System again for my new gaming rig?

What does this OEM thing mean at the end of the title when I look on websites like newegg.ca and amazon?

Thank you for your help,
Kyle
3 answers Last reply
More about some windows help
  1. If you want to upgrade to Win 8, then yes you will need Win 8 Pro 64-bit - but why? Win 7 Pro is a great OS.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. This means that Microsoft will not have any free technical support, and you are on your own to figure out solutions to problems that may occur.
  2. Stick with 7 for gaming....8 has some problems with certain games...

All the best Brett :)
  3. If your existing OS is Win 7 Pro (or Ultimate) then you have the capability of Virtual PC (XP-Mode) which is not available on any version of Windows 8.

On my latest (3 weeks old) i7 3770K build I chose to have Win 7 Pro 64-bit so that I can continue to use my older Autocad program that will run only on Win XP.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Windows 8