Image quality in RAW (nef) mode of D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 24, 2005 11:37:28 PM

Hi,

Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
that I can use Photoshop
to edit images in this mode ?

Thanks very much for any info's .

mp
February 25, 2005 12:59:51 AM

Download the latest from adobe.com probably.

Mp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
> that I can use Photoshop
> to edit images in this mode ?
>
> Thanks very much for any info's .
>
> mp
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:28:27 AM

Mp <mptr@road.com> wrote:

> Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
> that I can use Photoshop to edit images in this mode ?

Yes, you need Photoshop CS, and should get the latest version of the Camera
Raw plug-in from Adobe's web site (it will not work on previous versions of
Photoshop).

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
February 25, 2005 12:01:51 PM

You need the Camera RAW plugin for Photoshop CS
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?prod...

Or... you need Nikon Capture to convert to NEF .tiff/jpg

Guy

Mp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
> that I can use Photoshop
> to edit images in this mode ?
>
> Thanks very much for any info's .
>
> mp
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:39:58 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:37:28 -0800, Mp <mptr@road.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
>that I can use Photoshop
>to edit images in this mode ?

You may need to download the latest version of the raw file plugin. It
handles NEFs from th eD70 with no problem.

>Thanks very much for any info's .
>
>mp

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:52:53 PM

"Mp" <mptr@road.com> wrote in message news:387ocbF1gl11oU1@individual.net...
> Hi,
>
> Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
> that I can use Photoshop
> to edit images in this mode ?

Nikon PictureProject or Capture should install a reader in Photoshop, which
is annoying if you are running CS, because CS comes with a better one.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 3:12:06 PM

"Mp" <mptr@road.com> wrote in message news:387ocbF1gl11oU1@individual.net...
> Hi,
>
> Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
> that I can use Photoshop
> to edit images in this mode ?
>
> Thanks very much for any info's .
>
> mp
----------
Converters are included with Nikon View free software and are installed
automatically when Nikon View is installed when an installed copy of
Photoshop is found.
The converter names are "Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi" and "Nikon YCC TIFF.8bi"
and can be manually placed in the appropriate PS folder.
For me the path is C:\Adobe\Photoshop\Plug Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File
Format\...
Regards,
Don F
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:47:07 PM

Hi Don
Thanks for the tip - I've just copied mine over and that, hopefully, should
give me PS & Nikon View to work with -
Nikon D70; SB800; Photoshop & Nikon view - all great tools to work with.
Cheerio for now & thanks again
U W
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:23:55 AM

"UnoWhoo" <NE1@jfdi.net> wrote in message
> Hi Don
> Thanks for the tip - I've just copied mine over and that, hopefully,
> should
> give me PS & Nikon View to work with -
> Nikon D70; SB800; Photoshop & Nikon view - all great tools to work with.
> Cheerio for now & thanks again
> U W
-------------
You're welcome.
Both the automatic install by Nikon View and the manual method worked for
me.
My first install of Nikon View was with PS already installed, but when I
rebuilt my computer and (mistakenly) installed Nikon View *before* the PS
installation, the converter was missing. I then did the manual installation
and all was OK once again.
Regards,
Don F
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:30:49 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:37:28 -0800, Mp <mptr@road.com> wrote:

>Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
>that I can use Photoshop
>to edit images in this mode ?

Use the photoshop plugin which comes on the CD with the camera.

Here you go...
http://www.webfrustration.com/archive/103/2003/10/3/528...

I'm on W98se, so the directory I'm looking at is C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats and the specific files are
"Nikon NEF plugin_5x.8Bi" and "Nikon YCC TIFF_5x.8Bl".

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 1:30:50 PM

Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:37:28 -0800, Mp <mptr@road.com> wrote:
>
>>Photoshop can't seem to read the images in NEF mode , is there any way
>>that I can use Photoshop
>>to edit images in this mode ?
>
> Use the photoshop plugin which comes on the CD with the camera.
>
> Here you go...
> http://www.webfrustration.com/archive/103/2003/10/3/528...
>

> I'm on W98se, so the directory I'm looking at is C:\Program
> Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats and the specific files
> are "Nikon NEF plugin_5x.8Bi" and "Nikon YCC TIFF_5x.8Bl".

Rename the "Nikon NEF plugin_5x.8Bi" to "Nikon NEF plugin_5x.old" or
something similar and the PS pRAW plugin will work again. Nikon Capture
is rudeware and disables PS without asking you. NC will still work
through its own icon or by choosing it in Nikon Browser.
!