[Graphic Card] Is it time for a new Graphic Card?

Compunoob15

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi folks,

Please bear with me, I know very little about putting my own computer together and/or fixing it. Anyway, I've had this "gaming" computer from Gateway for about two years now. Within 5 months of owning this thing, it was already having issues where I had to have the entire hard-drive replaced. Good thing I had insurance on it.

Things were fine after that until about a few months ago. Let me explain, whenever my computer powers off, my screen will go into power-save mode and the light on my monitor will turn orange. Which is completely normal. What's not normal is when this happens in the middle of me playing a game. I'm playing, screen suddenly goes black like it's powered off and the fan on my computer revs up and is loud enough to wake the neighbors (not literally, but that's what it feels like).

The only way I can fix things is to hard reset my computer by pressing the button until it turns off. Then I have to usually restart the computer three or four times before the fan finally quiets down and things are normal. This only ever happens when I play games. The games themselves will start to lag out and drag and the screen just goes black.

So, is it time for a new card? Or could this be something more serious? I was told it could also possibly be a motherboard issue in which case, I'm just screwed.

EDIT: I have also tried updating drivers and it makes no difference.

Current Specs:
Manufacturer: eMachines/Gateway
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Model: Gateway FX 6840
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB