High resolution gaming - GPU help needed

Notoriety

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I am considering buying a new custom-built PC. My intention is that it is as 'futureproof' as possible while not costing too much (the GTX 690 is out of the equation then, I suppose). I have a few questions:

1) If I were to use the PC for both intense gaming (maxed out BF3 at 2560x1440 resolution)/general use (MS Office, browsing etc.), would I need an overclocked i5-3570k? Or would a regular i5-3570(k) suffice?

2) Continuing that train of thought; what GPU setup would be best for my needs both now and in the future? Two 2GB GTX 670s, two 2GB GTX 680s, a single 4GB GTX 680, or another option? I would only be using a single monitor for now, but as I said, I would not want to compromise on quality in games and would like to run them at max settings (with AA) at a resolution of 2560x1440 (for which 2GB VRAM -might- not be enough for future games, considering the mods in Skyrim). I want future games to also be able to be played in the same way (max settings).

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Notoriety

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

No, I will be getting it built externally. This is only for convenience sake - I know building isn't really complicated, but everything is covered by a warranty if I let the company build it; including all the components if I let them pre-overclock it for me.

I have also always had better experiences with Nvidia cards.

XXStavrosXX

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
I also suggest Radeon for now, not only because they handle high AA better, but mainly because with the recent price drop of AMD GPUs their value is higher. One month ago I would tell u to buy a GTX 670 for $400, but now in this price you can buy an HD 7970 which, with the addition of the new drivers, is faster and handles better high anti-aliasing thanks to the bigger memory bandwidth .

So this is my recommendation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102982

Buy one now and Crossfire it in the future when you feel the need for more power and the cost go down.

EDIT: If you want to max everything at 2560x1440 then you probably have to Crossfire them from the beginning, still cheaper than a GTX 680.

XXStavrosXX

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

Yes I wonder what nVidia is going to respond on such aggresive price cut policy.