Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time build $1,200-$1,300

Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2012 10:56:45 PM

Hey this is my first time on the forms and i was wondering if i could get any input on this new computer build! To let all of you know this is my first time building a gaming pc and would like any advise for doing so. By the way i would like to connect to wifi and have led lighting in my case. THANK YOU!!!

build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nv1N

More about : time build 200 300

November 12, 2012 11:52:30 PM

Nice build. Couple pieces I'd consider changing.

1. I'm not a fan of the base for that monitor. Had one, returned it. Felt like the stand would break rather easily and is not compatible with aftermarket stands.
2. A bigger hard drive, a few more dollars and get TB+.
3. You're building a fast machine, get a SSD which in my opinion is the best end user experience upgrade. A pc with a SSD will feel much quicker than one with a faster processor and platter drive.
4. Bigger PSU so you've got a little head room and enough juice for potential future additions.

If you're going to be gaming @ 1080p then you have some flexibility in your vid card.

To keep the total cost the same I'd go with a HD7870 or HD7850, if you need more horsepower grab another in the future, get a bigger platter drive, and a SSD.
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:12:00 AM

bjaminnyc said:
Nice build. Couple pieces I'd consider changing.

1. I'm not a fan of the base for that monitor. Had one, returned it. Felt like the stand would break rather easily and is not compatible with aftermarket stands.
2. A bigger hard drive, a few more dollars and get TB+.
3. You're building a fast machine, get a SSD which in my opinion is the best end user experience upgrade. A pc with a SSD will feel much quicker than one with a faster processor and platter drive.
4. Bigger PSU so you've got a little head room and enough juice for potential future additions.

If you're going to be gaming @ 1080p then you have some flexibility in your vid card.

To keep the total cost the same I'd go with a HD7870 or HD7850, if you need more horsepower grab another in the future, get a bigger platter drive, and a SSD.

Thank you for the feedback!
1. I'll think I will get a monitor with a better stand.
2. Now I'll get a larger hard drive (what do you think is a good speed for the hard drive?)
3. The SSD looks like a good idea but how many gbs would be good?
4. Sure I'll get a better PSU.
5. I'm a big fan of Nvidia so, do you think an asus gtx 660 non ti would be fine?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

November 13, 2012 1:09:27 AM

gmf382 said:
new build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nw6D
anything to get the price a little lower?

Ditch the extra fans and the LED lights - you don't need those things and they're not really essential to the build. If you need more fans you can add them later.

I definitely agree with what was said about getting a different power supply - the ModXStream has a very iffy reputation. Go with Seasonic, Corsair, or PC Power & Cooling.

Get low profile Vengeance RAM. You could probably leave the SSD off and get one later.
November 13, 2012 9:24:08 PM

Thanks g-unit1111 for the info
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:46:39 PM

Best answer selected by gmf382.
m
l
!