Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I use a GTX 460 graphic card in a Dell precision 470 ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2012 7:29:16 PM

Hello,
I was wondering if It was possible to put an nvidia gtx 460 in a dell precision 470. I have a hard time finding any information about my power supply. I now kind of get that it is non standard and that I wouldn't be able to replace it easily. Internets seem to think it's 550W, no idea about amps on 12V lines and stuff like that. I opened the tower to see what's inside and I seem to have only one 6 pin connector to power video cards. The gtx 460 wants a 6 and a 8 pin connector. Anything I can do to make this work ?

thanks,
September 16, 2012 7:40:44 PM

other than replace the power supply with another one i dont think, i would reccomend a corsair tx650 v2. this will be a perfect one for you.... make sure to do some research on how to reconnect your power cables before you start the project.
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 8:00:47 PM

REVOLTE said:
Hello,
I was wondering if It was possible to put an nvidia gtx 460 in a dell precision 470. I have a hard time finding any information about my power supply. I now kind of get that it is non standard and that I wouldn't be able to replace it easily. Internets seem to think it's 550W, no idea about amps on 12V lines and stuff like that. I opened the tower to see what's inside and I seem to have only one 6 pin connector to power video cards. The gtx 460 wants a 6 and a 8 pin connector. Anything I can do to make this work ?

thanks,

Airflow in there is basically non existent, I wouldn't do it
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2012 8:02:08 PM

Adeen said:
i would reccomend a corsair tx650 v2. this will be a perfect one for you.

Doesn't use a standard psu so, no, wouldn't even be close
September 16, 2012 11:20:16 PM

Even if not recommended, is there a way to make it work with the material I have right now ?
if no, Is there a way to change the non standard power supply to have it support the graphic card ?

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 11:39:10 AM

REVOLTE said:
Even if not recommended, is there a way to make it work with the material I have right now ?

There's always adapters
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
REVOLTE said:
if no, Is there a way to change the non standard power supply to have it support the graphic card ?

The way the existing psu is setup, I don't think so
Might be able to use a gpu psu, probably need a Molex extender to use it outside of the case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 17, 2012 6:03:12 PM

Is the power adapter something functional ? I'm kind of dumbly guessing that splitting a 6 pin power into a 6 + a 8 pin will somehow produce less wattage to the card.
Does it have any chance to work with the power supply I have now ?
a b Î Nvidia
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 1:16:01 PM

Sorry for the late response

Yes it would support the splitter, Dell used them several years ago for 8800GTX equipped systems
Knowing that a 6 pin can provide much more than the 75 watts it's rated for, many psu's now come with dual connector cables, Dell provides them on some of thiers
I can run my GTX570 using a dual connector cable

A 460 won't be a problem
September 18, 2012 1:57:58 PM

Thanks a lot for all your answers, it's very appreciated. I'll get one of those cable and try it then.
September 27, 2012 3:45:51 PM

Seems to work with the adapter cable. It's in the computer and functionnal
September 27, 2012 3:46:22 PM

Best answer selected by REVOLTE.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 6:18:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!