Closed Solved

Can I use a GTX 460 graphic card in a Dell precision 470 ?

Hello,
I was wondering if It was possible to put an nvidia gtx 460 in a dell precision 470. I have a hard time finding any information about my power supply. I now kind of get that it is non standard and that I wouldn't be able to replace it easily. Internets seem to think it's 550W, no idea about amps on 12V lines and stuff like that. I opened the tower to see what's inside and I seem to have only one 6 pin connector to power video cards. The gtx 460 wants a 6 and a 8 pin connector. Anything I can do to make this work ?

thanks,
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphic card dell precision
  1. other than replace the power supply with another one i dont think, i would reccomend a corsair tx650 v2. this will be a perfect one for you.... make sure to do some research on how to reconnect your power cables before you start the project.
  2. REVOLTE said:
    Hello,
    I was wondering if It was possible to put an nvidia gtx 460 in a dell precision 470. I have a hard time finding any information about my power supply. I now kind of get that it is non standard and that I wouldn't be able to replace it easily. Internets seem to think it's 550W, no idea about amps on 12V lines and stuff like that. I opened the tower to see what's inside and I seem to have only one 6 pin connector to power video cards. The gtx 460 wants a 6 and a 8 pin connector. Anything I can do to make this work ?

thanks,

Airflow in there is basically non existent, I wouldn't do it
  3. Adeen said:
    i would reccomend a corsair tx650 v2. this will be a perfect one for you.

Doesn't use a standard psu so, no, wouldn't even be close
  4. Even if not recommended, is there a way to make it work with the material I have right now ?
    if no, Is there a way to change the non standard power supply to have it support the graphic card ?
  5. Best answer
    REVOLTE said:
    Even if not recommended, is there a way to make it work with the material I have right now ?

There's always adapters
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198018
    REVOLTE said:
    if no, Is there a way to change the non standard power supply to have it support the graphic card ?

The way the existing psu is setup, I don't think so
    Might be able to use a gpu psu, probably need a Molex extender to use it outside of the case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104054
  6. Is the power adapter something functional ? I'm kind of dumbly guessing that splitting a 6 pin power into a 6 + a 8 pin will somehow produce less wattage to the card.
    Does it have any chance to work with the power supply I have now ?
  7. These seem to be the spec of my power supply http://www.itwinkle.com/deposupnh2.html ... would it support splitting the 6 pin into a 6 + and 8 ... and support the gtx 460 ?
  8. Sorry for the late response

Yes it would support the splitter, Dell used them several years ago for 8800GTX equipped systems
    Knowing that a 6 pin can provide much more than the 75 watts it's rated for, many psu's now come with dual connector cables, Dell provides them on some of thiers
    I can run my GTX570 using a dual connector cable

A 460 won't be a problem
  9. Thanks a lot for all your answers, it's very appreciated. I'll get one of those cable and try it then.
  10. Seems to work with the adapter cable. It's in the computer and functionnal
  11. Best answer selected by REVOLTE.
  12. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Graphics Cards Dell Graphics Product