Initial charging of battery with new phone

Last response: in Brands
December 5, 2004 12:20:23 AM

Just bought a 1100 in Philippines (70 U.S. dollars--good price?...I
only need it for very limited use). The manual (in english) hardly
says anything about initial charging of battery. I read somewhere a
long time ago that you should NOT use the phone when you first get
it...you should immediately charge it and use it fully and let it
discharge...then charge it again. But the guy in the store (who
seemed pretty smart) said you can start using it right now (and the
battery currently is about half fully charged, judging from the bars),
then charge it after it's discharged/drained. So that's what I"m
doing. It's going to take a LONG time before it's discharged,
because I hardly use it at all...IN fact I may even leave the country
before I ever run down the battery.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 8:54:19 PM

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 at 05:20 GMT, <boymail5@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just bought a 1100 in Philippines (70 U.S. dollars--good price?...I
> only need it for very limited use). The manual (in english) hardly
> says anything about initial charging of battery. I read somewhere a
> long time ago that you should NOT use the phone when you first get
> it...you should immediately charge it and use it fully and let it
> discharge...then charge it again. But the guy in the store (who

That may have been specific to nicad batts. The more common LiIon/LiPo
and NiMH batts don't suffer from operation or charging on a partial
charge.

I am such a geek that I do some of my charging on peak-detecting
chargers that I use for electric airplane models. Works great.

--
http://cbsrmt.mousetrap.net/RMTdb/ CBS Radio Mystery Theater database
CBSRMT uploads each day in <news:alt.binaries.sounds.radio.cbsrmt>

"Frater Mus" <FraterMus2004@mousetrap.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 at 05:20 GMT, <boymail5@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Just bought a 1100 in Philippines (70 U.S. dollars--good price?...I
>> only need it for very limited use). The manual (in english) hardly
>> says anything about initial charging of battery. I read somewhere a
>> long time ago that you should NOT use the phone when you first get
>> it...you should immediately charge it and use it fully and let it
>> discharge...then charge it again. But the guy in the store (who
>
> That may have been specific to nicad batts. The more common LiIon/LiPo
> and NiMH batts don't suffer from operation or charging on a partial
> charge.

However, Li-Ion batteries *do* remember the number of charge/discharge
cycles. So charging when only partially discharged is wasting a charge.
While I agree you shouldn't run a Li-Ion battery totally flat (the inbuilt
electronics won't let you anyway) it's probably best to use it until you
get the low battery warning on the phone and then charge it. Continual
topping up, such as putting the phone in a car kit and taking it out again
several times a day on short journeys is *not* good for any battery type,
except perhaps lead acid..!

Ivor
December 6, 2004 2:07:26 AM

Thanks, so everyone seems to agree it's no problem if I just charge it now,
after having used it for a few days (but its still not nearly discharged)...
the only minor disadvantage being that the number of cycles is (sort of)
remembered (which I don't care at all about).??
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 2:08:50 PM

wierdtooth wrote:
> Thanks, so everyone seems to agree it's no problem if I just charge
> it now, after having used it for a few days (but its still not
> nearly discharged)... the only minor disadvantage being that the
> number of cycles is (sort of) remembered (which I don't care at all
> about).??

You'll care when you have to buy a new battery well before when you
otherwise would..! Run it down until you get the low battery warning,
*then* charge it. Do this every time, ideally have two or more batteries
and swap for a freshly charged one each time. *Don't* swap the phone in
and out of a car kit a dozen times a day (or if you do, tape over the
charge contacts in the cradle..!) and get a desktop charger to charge your
spare batteries off the phone.

Ivor
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 10:08:25 PM

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:07:25 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<this.address@notvalid.inv> said in alt.cellular.nokia:

>However, Li-Ion batteries *do* remember the number of charge/discharge
>cycles.

Total time, not total number.
---
CellPhonesEtc at optonline dot net
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 12:43:54 AM

Al Klein wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:07:25 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
> <this.address@notvalid.inv> said in alt.cellular.nokia:
>

>>However, Li-Ion batteries *do* remember the number of charge/discharge
>>cycles.
>

> Total time, not total number.
> ---
> CellPhonesEtc at optonline dot net

Total numbers (up to 500-700 charges), which is somewhat relative to
time, a hardly used battery of five years wouldve had chemical breakdown
then.
!