• G.SKILL
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 12, 2012 11:42:07 PM

Here's what I have:

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E CPU
Asus P9X79 Pro LGA 2011 Mobo
Asus GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 Graphics Card
G.SKILL Ares Series Memory (Model F3-1866C10Q-32GAB)

When I power on, I get one long beep and three short beeps (video?). Not sure why, but I'm wondering if it could be one of a couple of things:

1. I'm using the G.SKILL Ares memory instead of the G.SKILL Ripjaws because of the low profile (I have a Zalman CNPS12X cooler that the Ripjaws wouldn't fit under). Newegg says this memory is compatible with LGA 2011, but the package only says compatible with LGA 1155/1156.

2. The video card is not seated in the first (recommended) PCI-e slot. Does that matter?

I can't think of any other reasons why I can't get a successful POST. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

More about : post successful

a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 3:35:56 AM

The memory is almost definitely compatible. I wouldn't worry about that. It might be faulty, but it should be compatible.

Try moving the video card to other PCIe slots if you can.

Also, make sure that all power connectors are connected where they should be.

If you have another video card, maybe from an older build, you might want to try testing with it if switching PCIe slots with your 680 doesn't work.
m
l
November 13, 2012 10:27:11 PM

blazorthon said:
The memory is almost definitely compatible. I wouldn't worry about that. It might be faulty, but it should be compatible.

Try moving the video card to other PCIe slots if you can.

Also, make sure that all power connectors are connected where they should be.

If you have another video card, maybe from an older build, you might want to try testing with it if switching PCIe slots with your 680 doesn't work.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried moving the video card to another slot and it worked (then moved it back and saw that it worked in the original slot). It must not have been seated correctly...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 10:38:18 PM

Ahh, well then congratulations on getting it working.
m
l
!