Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Mobo/CPU - Windows Question

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 1:06:08 AM

Hey all - I'm going to be buying and installing an I5 3570k and AsRock extreme4 to replace my pii x4 970 and gigabyte mobo. I've been reading that I should be able to just install new hard ware and then do a repair install with windows 7 and should be good to go. Am I right and anything I need to keep in mind?
Thanks!

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 6:11:34 AM

I'm fairly sure that you'd almost definitely need to re-install Windows. You might be able to get away with not doing so, but unless you have good reason to try that, I recommend against it. It's good for the computer to clear out the system every few years.
November 13, 2012 10:26:36 AM

Well, I've got a ton of programs on my OS drive, so not having to re-install all of those would be a big reason. Is there anything I need to worry about doing a repair instead of clean re-install?

And if the repair fails and I need to do a fresh install, how can I avoid losing all my programs on that drive?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 11:55:02 AM

IDK if you can avoid losing those programs for sure should the repair fail, but I don't think that you can. Unfortunately, Windows wasn't really built with convenience in-mind. You could try stuff such as installing the proper drivers for the new motherboard and CPU and such before changing boards and CPUs and hope it works, but I can't guarantee that it'll work nor can I guarantee that it will fail.
m
l
November 13, 2012 12:42:30 PM

What about the videos and music on the other HDD? What can I do with that stuff to not lose it?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 1:35:30 PM

For files and such, just back them up and you'll be fine. Files such as videos and music are usually a lot easier to keep. However, just to be safe, if your music is through iTunes or a similar service, you might want to look into if special procedures are necessary. I'm not very familiar with iTunes and similar software, so I can't say for sure, but it's probably not as easy as a simple copy/paste back up like it would be with pretty much all other files such as movies, Office documents/presentations/spreadsheets/etc, and most other regular files.

Technically, you should be able to just make a partition on your hard drive and put every file that you want to keep on it and wipe the system partition to prep for the re-install, but having them stored on a separate storage device such as a second hard drive (internal or external), SSD, or any other storage device with enough capacity for your stuff.
m
l
November 13, 2012 1:47:00 PM

Sounds good. Basically it sounds like I'm not going to know what to expect until I actually get in. Best practice to back up files that I need to keep, make a list of all the programs I use, and then just cross my fingers and start the process?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 13, 2012 1:58:28 PM

Pretty much that AFAIK.
m
l
November 14, 2012 10:47:55 AM

Best answer selected by big papa blood.
m
l