September 16, 2012 11:27:33 PM

I recently built a new computer, basic specs as follows:
Win 7 64 bit
8 GB RAM
Gigabyte OC HD 7950
i5-3570K
Corsair TX750W
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 MOBO

I booted up Call of Pripyat last night and noticed this high pitched whining sound when on the menu, which changed pitch depending on what tab I was on. After some research it seemed like the super high FPS (>4000) in the menu was causing it, as forcing V-sync fixed the problem. I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the GPU, not the CPU or MOBO. I reinstalled my old card, 8800GTX, and it made a similar noise, albeit somewhat quieter. Running on integrated graphics there is no noise at all when on the menu.

My question is, could RMA'ing the card potentially fix this/is it dangerous at all? I don't get the whine when GPU usage is at 99% alone, simply when the frames are at really high numbers. Some people seem to think its unavoidable while others think you can fix it by getting a replacement. Just wanted to know everyone's opinions, since RMA'ing parts is always kind of annoying. Other than the whine at super high FPS the card runs great, is cool, etc. No problems. Thanks!

More about : coil whine 7950

a c 104 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 12:36:02 AM

LoL. Join the club ; i have a gigabyte 560ti and it does that to, specially with menu stuff and in between level pictures. ( the picture you get when you finished a level and the game is loading.)

It is definitely getting worse though, first only with gaming and now also after gaming when i'm only on the net, though not as loud.

Was thinking of asking about the same question because of that. Interested in the answers.

Too late for me to rma :( 
Score
September 17, 2012 9:33:49 PM

Bumpity bump. Anyone?
Score
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 11:07:59 PM

Better not bump, the thread might get closed.

I would RMA anyway, my coil wine is getting louder and louder, feels like it might die soon, i dunno.

It's getting this loud anyway that it's becoming irritating even when gaming and i don't even notice the high revving fans then.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 11:13:28 PM

I had an HIS 7970 Iceq X2. They promised solid state chokes. It whined for 2 weeks to the point where it got so bad it was doing it in menus and web pages. I refunded it to Newegg although they gave me somewhat of a hassle. Making me contact HIS, where they didn't speak English and they too came to the conclusion that it they could have me RMA it to China lol.

Good thing it was still in Newegg warranty window. It can be like a lottery with these things. You can RMA and maybe get one that won't have it or you may get one that has it worse.

Best thing to do is look for premium cards from MSI or the Saphire editions that use Black diamond chokes.
Score
September 18, 2012 9:25:46 PM

Yeah that is what I'm afraid of, that I'll get one that is worse, or one that doesn't overclock very well. It doesn't seem to me like manufacturer matters as I've heard of all different kinds having the problem. I tried the card out in my older system and it did the same thing. Whines back near the DVI port. It's super loud/obnoxious on game menus and intros and whatnot.

I think I'll just RMA it to Newegg and see if I have any luck. I've seen instances of people replacing multiple cards/PSU's/mobos and not having any luck getting rid of it, so I'm not getting my hopes up lol
Score
!