Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

2 Graphics Cards for The Same Monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 16, 2012 11:52:52 PM

Hello everyone,

As stated in the title is it possible to hook up two graphics cards on one monitor with a splitter cable or something?

Depending when my 570 starts to run a bit slower I think I am going to invest in a another 570. Don't really want to invest in another monitor and a graphics card.

Also can you say what you think about multi-monitor. I'm a gamer, but only want to game on one monitor, and maybe check my temps on the other screen. Let me know if you think this is a good use of money.

More about : graphics cards monitor

Best solution

a c 190 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 16, 2012 11:54:47 PM
Share

You connect them internally using the SLI ribbon cable. Then you just hook a monitor to one card.
September 16, 2012 11:57:49 PM

But what about the other? Is it being used or is it just "there?"
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 12:16:26 AM

Yes it's called SLi. Scalable Link Interface http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

Both cards work together and basically they each work half the screen. This only works in full screen applications like games but you can expect about 90% more performance. You may need to upgrade your power supply because two GTX570 draw some serious power, what PSU do you have now?
a c 190 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 12:17:51 AM

Its being used to help the original GTX570 process frames and stuff.
September 17, 2012 12:25:08 AM

stickg1 said:
Yes it's called SLi. Scalable Link Interface http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface

Both cards work together and basically they each work half the screen. This only works in full screen applications like games but you can expect about 90% more performance. You may need to upgrade your power supply because two GTX570 draw some serious power, what PSU do you have now?


Oh yeah I heard about SLI, just didn't know how it worked. But off the top of my head (since that my computer isn't here right now) I'm 99% sure that it is a ModXstream SLI ready 600 watt powersupply.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX22557

There is a link if you need it.
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 12:35:36 AM

I think that you might be better off with a higher wattage PSU for GTX 570 SLI. I don't think that yours has enough 12V amperage. Another option could be selling your 570 and buying a GTX 670. It'd be about as fast as GTX 570 SLI and shouldn't have any trouble with your PSU.
September 17, 2012 1:06:50 AM

blazorthon said:
I think that you might be better off with a higher wattage PSU for GTX 570 SLI. I don't think that yours has enough 12V amperage. Another option could be selling your 570 and buying a GTX 670. It'd be about as fast as GTX 570 SLI and shouldn't have any trouble with your PSU.


Well should I sell my 570 right now and get the 670? Because my 570 won't be worth that much later on...

And also any thoughts on 2 monitors if im gaming on only one?
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2012 1:09:33 AM

sharpshooter_992 said:
Well should I sell my 570 right now and get the 670? Because my 570 won't be worth that much later on...

And also any thoughts on 2 monitors if im gaming on only one?


If you want to sell your 570, then selling it ASAP would be a good idea. It is my recommendation.

I don't recommend dual-monitor gaming. Odd numbers of monitors (one or three) are generally better because you don't have a bezel in the middle of your screen.
September 17, 2012 1:12:56 AM

If you do still want to go SLI, make sure you have enough room, and that your motherboard and PSU support it. 600 watt seems to be a bit on the low side. I imagine you'd want at least 50 amps on the +12v rail.
September 17, 2012 1:17:25 AM

blazorthon said:
If you want to sell your 570, then selling it ASAP would be a good idea.

I don't recommend dual-monitor gaming. Odd numbers of monitors (one or three) are generally better because you don't have a bezel in the middle of your screen.


I think I'll just sell the 570 instead, don't really want to use up the extra space as I think I'll be using that for something else. What is a good price for the 570 to sell?
September 27, 2012 1:59:24 AM

Best answer selected by sharpshooter_992.
!