Your question
Solved

Graphics card suggestions

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 12:55:40 AM

Hello I am looking for a new graphics card. I am going to buy one for my dad.

BUDGET: I have a budget of around 340$ BEFORE rebates.
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I want to buy this before October 13 since this is his birthday.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST: I don't know what he uses his GTX 460 for but what I do know is that he likes to benchmark his computer and have high end things.

RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Right now he has what I believe is an Antec HCG 650. He runs what I believe is a Core 2 Quad Q9500 and Kingston HyperX memory (don't know what speeds and timing). He says he will upgrade to Haswell next year so if a card gets bottlenecked by the Q9500 it doesn't really matter. He uses an Antec Solo 1 I believe so heat may be an issue but I highly doubt it.

PREFERRED WEBSITES: I prefer Fry's, Microcenter, and Newegg since I can just do instore pickup there or in the case of Newegg, I can do Will Call.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I think he prefers Nvidia.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe but probably not.

CROSSFIRE/SLI: Maybe

MONITOR RES: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want to get him a card from a good brand with a good warranty. I am also not sure about Kepler because of its limited memory bandwith.

More about : graphics card suggestions

September 17, 2012 1:52:16 AM

You didn't specify the motherboard if he does have a PCI-e 2.0 or 3.0 slot then I recommend the GTX 670. It's a great graphics card with alot of power. It's right in your budget ( depending on where you buy it from, newegg has them from 399. ) They have 20 - 30 rebates with a free copy of botherlands 2. NCIX has them from 344. http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=71127&vpn=67NPH6DV5ZVX... It really depends on where you look. But that card will have enough power for any modern game at high setting. On something like 1366x768.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:07:00 AM

Get a 7950, more memory bandwith and can be OC'd very well. You will be hevily bottlenecked by that old quad though. Forget Haswell and get Ivy now. Both will be more than enough anyway.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 86 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:14:19 AM

Give it a few weeks and see if the GTX 670 gets any cheaper. If not, go with a Radeon HD 7950 IMO.
September 17, 2012 11:58:38 PM

Best answer selected by cheezecake56.
m
l
!