Problem with Graphics Card

Xndurin

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
Hello everyone, I built a new system a few months ago, Everything was working fine until today. I was away from my computer and my brother was playing with it. He deiced to open it up and have a look inside. When he opened the case he un-pulled out a wire. The 3-pin fan control wire that plugs into the motherboard. He quickly tried to plug it back in but he didn't correctly match up the pins. He "though" he saw smoke and left until I came back. He was just going to use the computer but when he looked up there was no signal going to the monitor ( This is his account of the what happened and I cannot confirm this is actually how it went down)

Once I got home I took a look at it. Everything was plunged in correctly. I checked all the capacitors all of them looked fine, no black burns or smell. I took the whole system apart and rebuilt to eliminate everything non-related to the graphics card. Because when I turn it on half the time the GPU fan spins at MAX speed and there is no signal and the other half it spins normally with still no signal. The bios POST's and I can hear Windows login. Still with no signal.

I reset the bios, made sure all cables were connected firmly, tried a different motherboard, tried on-board graphics chip to eliminate damage to other components. The motherboard used when this occurred was a Biostar TP67XE, I used the MSI H61M - P20(G3). While using the MSI board I could switch from the VGA port on the graphics card to the port on the motherboard and it would work. ( Can't do this with Biostar board, it doesn't support on-board graphics built into my i5-2500K ). I tested the card on 3 different PCI-3 slots. 2 on my biostar motherboard and 1 on my MSI motherboard.

What do you guys think?

My specs:

CPU - Intel i5 2500k -- Idles at 30 - 35 degrees.

GPU - PNY Nvidia GTX 550 ti -- Idle around 30 - 37

Motherboard - Biostar TP67XE -- Also tested on MSI H61M-P20(G3)

RAM - 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance -- 1600 on Biostar Mobo, 1333 on MSI.

PSU - Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-550 550W

Storage - Intel 330 120 GB SSD -- boot drive

All stock coolers, 2 120mm fans 1 front 1 back, 2 80mm fans case side door.

I am unable to test the card on a friends machine but I did test it on motherboards that I have as stated above.

drums101

Distinguished
I would shoot a person like that...if you touch any of my pc's you are a dead person lol......as deemo said make sure to check and see if the integrated is displaying video it seems like that is the issue here since windows is booting up

Xndurin

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah as I said when the graphics card is in my MSI board I can plug the VGA cable into the port on the mootherboard and I will get single even tho the graphics card is in. Windows doesn't detect the card at all. With my Biostar mobo it doesn't support on-board graphics but windows still boots.

My friend had a similar occurrence this summer: His room mate tried to build my friends PC because it was taken out in part, and for some reason he thought it was wise to plug floppy disk connector to wi-fi header on the motherboard. Needless to say, smoke came.

Fortunately, the only part that burnt was the power supply unit. It's possible it's not providing clear power somewhere in your case.

drums101

Distinguished
^^ I hate when people tinker with things they know nothing about.....if you didnt know how work a grenade launcher would you pick it up and mess with it? I dont think so, so why do people think its ok with computers lol?