Sign in with
Your question

Windows no longer boots, can't get into BIOS.... Please help.

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 3:43:27 AM

Ok. So I just installed windows (Win7 64 bit), updated my motherboard drivers (MSI Z68a-GD65 g3). The drivers I updated were chipset, lan, audio, usb. All of this was done on my SSD (Samsung 830 256GB). I then plugged in my HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3) and rebooted. Now, the first thing that flashes on the screen is:
Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS Version 1.0.0.1027
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Mode: PassThru IDE
Disk Information:
No Hard Drive is Detected!

Then the motherboard splash screen. Then:
Windows failed to start.
Launch Setup Repair
Start windows normally

Launch setup repair is highlighted, then automatically selected. Then the windows loading screen pops up for a second before finally Setup Repair flashing on screen for a second....... then nothing.
My keyboard is USB and I have no access to a ps/2 keyboard. I have tried clearing CMOS, but can't press f1 to enter BIOS (I believe because of the USB keyboard). Both SSD and HDD are connected to SATA 1~2 (6gb/s port). My optical drive is connected to SATA 3 (3gb/s port).

I am stuck at this point, and WAY beyond my level of technical know-how, as this is my first build. Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks all.
November 13, 2012 3:52:32 AM

And you'll need to get a PS/2 keyboard if your USB one doesn't work. Goodwill and/or a friend is a good place to start.
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:53:10 AM

Unplug the HDD, then boot and see what happens. It sounds like the computer is trying to boot from the HDD (which I'm assuming has an old install of Windows on it) and is failing.

If the machine boots w/o the HDD, it means you need to plug the HDD back in, then immediately go into BIOS and change the boot order so that it tries to boot from your SSD first (or at least before the HDD.)
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 4:00:48 AM

My HDD is brand new, nothing on it. The USB keyboard did work. I completely installed windows, updated some drivers, and when I plugged in the HDD and rebooted to check the boot priority is when this all started happening.
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:21:19 AM

In case it makes a difference, I plugged the SSD into the SATA 7~8 port, which is Marvell supported, as opposed to SATA 1~2 which are intel supported, the first screen changed to:
Mode: CPU IDE
Virtual Disk
No virtual disk!
Physical Disk
[ID] [Disk Name] [Speed]
8 SATA Samsung SSD 830 256GB 6Gb/s
m
l
November 14, 2012 1:38:15 AM

So tonight I try again, turn on the computer, windows setup repair completes and I load an older version of windows. That was farther than I got last night. So I load my drivers again, plug in my new HDD, reboot, same problem starts all over again.

I don't get it. I was in windows, running just fine, now the screen goes blank (but it seems like the computer is still running correctly, just no video).....
any ideas?
m
l
November 14, 2012 2:23:08 AM

Maybe try running the SSD with Windows installed without the HDD for a day or two? You could make an image backup onto an external and then restore from it to save time.

Can you get into safe mode? You could try installing drivers one at a time and rebooting after each one to see when it fails.

Does your Win7 disk have sp1 on it? Sometimes installing SP1 if your disk doesn't include it helps - install Windows, install the SP, then install drivers.

A few things to try.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 14, 2012 2:29:08 AM

IdeallyAddicted said:
Ok. So I just installed windows (Win7 64 bit), updated my motherboard drivers (MSI Z68a-GD65 g3). The drivers I updated were chipset, lan, audio, usb. All of this was done on my SSD (Samsung 830 256GB). I then plugged in my HDD (Samsung Spinpoint F3) and rebooted. Now, the first thing that flashes on the screen is:
Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS Version 1.0.0.1027
PCIe x1 5.0Gbps
Mode: PassThru IDE
Disk Information:
No Hard Drive is Detected!

Then the motherboard splash screen. Then:
Windows failed to start.
Launch Setup Repair
Start windows normally

Launch setup repair is highlighted, then automatically selected. Then the windows loading screen pops up for a second before finally Setup Repair flashing on screen for a second....... then nothing.
My keyboard is USB and I have no access to a ps/2 keyboard. I have tried clearing CMOS, but can't press f1 to enter BIOS (I believe because of the USB keyboard). Both SSD and HDD are connected to SATA 1~2 (6gb/s port). My optical drive is connected to SATA 3 (3gb/s port).

I am stuck at this point, and WAY beyond my level of technical know-how, as this is my first build. Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks all.

I had a similar problem.

First of all the Marvel NO HDD detected splash is normal. At least I get it, and mine works fine.

After a long battle with my MSI motherboard, I learned that certain logitech keyboards don't function correctly until windows starts up. So when I have to mess with BIOS, or if I lose power while in hibernation, I have to drag out my PS/2 keyboard to select anything.

I strongly recommend if you're using a Logitech USB keyboard, to find a PS/2 keyboard on craigslist or some family/friends and slave it in and try it.

I battled this for 3+ months and RMA'd my motherboard.

I forgot to mention this is a specific problem between MSI BIOS and USB keyboards.
m
l
!