roaddoc326

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Right now I have my Graphics card (GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores) plugged into my 1920x1080 monitor via HDMI cable. My question is if I choose to hook it up via DVI will I see an improvement in performance? If so, does quality take a big hit?

Thanks.

Solution
There will be no difference to performance or visual quality.
Only difference between the two is their locking mechanism, and that HDMI can also supply audio signals, so any speakers or headphone jacks in the monitor will work.

When you start hitting big resolutions or 120hz monitors there is some variables , but for your hardware there's no difference.
There will be no difference to performance or visual quality.
Only difference between the two is their locking mechanism, and that HDMI can also supply audio signals, so any speakers or headphone jacks in the monitor will work.

When you start hitting big resolutions or 120hz monitors there is some variables , but for your hardware there's no difference.

Solution
These is no quality/performance difference between HDMI and DVI. The information is transmitted digitally so it will be the same on both cables. The only differences between the two cables is that DVI supports slightly longer cables, HDMI does audio as well, and HDMI also uses High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. This just means that the HDMI cable "encrypts" the data before it is sent, preventing the signal for being eavesdropped on. It's not to prevent hackers because, how many hackers are going to be able to sit under your desk with a device hooked up to your monitor? It's my guess that it is to goat people into giving money to intel as they give licenses to be able to hook up to hdmi, big surprise.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Actually, HDCP is there to mollify Hollywood. They want their precious content encrypted all the way from the blu-ray or other source, right to the monitor. They don't want anyone to be able to divert the signal and make digital copies of it. Microsoft and others played along with them in order to get the content. After all, Microsoft wants to be your living room entertainment hub.

What a waste of time to include it then as it does little to prevent the copying of content on a PC. Thank god that the implementation is so weak than as HDMI has become very popular.