Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP can't find video card after reformat

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 6:25:04 AM

I reformatted my hard drive today and followed standard procedures of re installing drivers afterwords. The problem is that my video card could not be found by Windows. Even after installing the drivers the video card could not be found. I swapped out the video card with an older card and Windows immediately found it. So my question is why would my video card all of a sudden die on me after I reformatted my hard drive?
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 6:30:16 AM

were you getting video from the video card? could you see the BIOS but once you boot into windows there was no more video? or do you never have video now?
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:42:37 PM

I was getting video, but I assumed it was from the onboard video, because in display properties under adapter, there was question marks listed under adapter type and adapter information. That told me that Widows could not find the card, so I thought that the card was not being used. When I switched it out with my older card, Windows immediately found it and I was able to download drivers. So why is Windows unable to find this card?
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 3:46:38 PM

so you had the monitor plugged into the onboard and you got video in windows? but it didnt pick up the dedicated card?.....try installing the dedicated card and boot into the BIOS and change the primary graphics adapter to either PEG or PCIE
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:02:30 PM

No, I had the monitor plugged into the video card, so I guess that means the video was coming from the card, but Windows couldn't find it. Scrolling around on desktop is painfully slow without the drivers installed. My card is a AGP card and AGP is set in BIOS.
m
l
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 7:10:43 PM

hmmm....it could be that the card is damaged and thats why windows doesnt find it....but I have never really heard of that usually windows finds the damaged card and it only becomes an issue when you install drivers....have you tried scan for hardware changes when in windows?
m
l
!