Sign in with
Your question

Weird crysis 1 perfprmance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 6:37:12 AM

Hello all.

I just got crysis recently for my new card and i seem to be having weird performance issues. Whenever it's dark in the game (like the start of crysis), i get perfectly fine performance. It's when there is light effects that it seems to make my fps drop.

Here's an example. If i even look at a flare, it brings my fps down by a 5-10 fps margin.- This includes other effects - such as, smoke; ice; steam; and any lighting in general.
One other odd thing, is that on any spec, low, medium, or high, I get the same fps. Only low doesn't cause my game to drop in the 20's.

This doesn't happen to me on any other game - this includes battlefield 3!!
I max battlefield 45-38 fps open area!

3D mark11 scores
Graphics score: 5905
Physics score: 5010
Combined score: 4646
Score: P5603 3d marks

My game is patched to 1.2.1.

And my system specs are,

Amd 1100t - clock: is 3.4; i can't seem to get it any higher on the stock cooler and my motherboard...
Asus M4a785-m: MOBO
His iceq 7850 - clocks: 1100 core and 1365 mem clock
5 gb of DDr2 - Clock: Just 800 mhz
Seagate 1tb 7200rpm 34mb cache

Thanks for readin'! :bounce: 

Edit: I would like to add, that the cpu benchmark for crysis on my system runs at like 5 fps. lol
2nd edit: I just did 3dmark11 and now my gpu score is 6262!!
September 17, 2012 7:36:00 AM

I have lower spec and still get much better rates than you. Check the other stuff, background programs, antivirus, harddrive intensive activities (i.e. multi-threaded downloads) , something funky is going on
September 17, 2012 9:47:56 AM

Power supply make and model?
Related resources
September 17, 2012 10:38:01 AM

Are all the patches up to date? Are you running DX9 or 10? and take it your drivers are up to date aswell?

Has to be software judging by the rest of your benches
September 17, 2012 10:38:05 AM

Djentleman said:
Hello all.

I just got crysis recently for my new card and i seem to be having weird performance issues. Whenever it's dark in the game (like the start of crysis), i get perfectly fine performance. It's when there is light effects that it seems to make my fps drop.

Here's an example. If i even look at a flare, it brings my fps down by a 5-10 fps margin.- This includes other effects - such as, smoke; ice; steam; and any lighting in general.
One other odd thing, is that on any spec, low, medium, or high, I get the same fps. Only low doesn't cause my game to drop in the 20's.

This doesn't happen to me on any other game - this includes battlefield 3!!
I max battlefield 45-38 fps open area!

3D mark11 scores
Graphics score: 5905
Physics score: 5010
Combined score: 4646
Score: P5603 3d marks

My game is patched to 1.2.1.

And my system specs are,

Amd 1100t - clock: is 3.4; i can't seem to get it any higher on the stock cooler and my motherboard...
Asus M4a785-m: MOBO
His iceq 7850 - clocks: 1100 core and 1365 mem clock
5 gb of DDr2 - Clock: Just 800 mhz
Seagate 1tb 7200rpm 34mb cache

Thanks for readin'! :bounce: 

Edit: I would like to add, that the cpu benchmark for crysis on my system runs at like 5 fps. lol
2nd edit: I just did 3dmark11 and now my gpu score is 6262!!

Well, I would guess that your cpu have a problem. Does all AMD drivers installed?
September 17, 2012 5:52:21 PM

I have a Ocz modular 500 watt power supply.
I have a 21.5 inch 1080p monitor
I have 12.8 Amd drivers
And when i load crysis i have the dx10 patch.... Which i'm pretty sure is 1.2.1? That's the latest i can find :/ 

The only thing that confuses me is that i have great performance on metro 2033! Everything maxed except physics and DOF. And i rarely ever get lagg.

Any more help would be much appreciated!
September 17, 2012 5:57:18 PM

The reason I asked about the DX was because I had a friend a couple of months ago having the same sort of issues as yourself in crysis.

Forcing DX9 seemed to solve his issue, only good for a temporary solution but give it a go and see if theres any change.....

Btw this was on a 580 so it wasn't incompatibility with DX10, just seemed to work for some reason.
September 17, 2012 6:08:09 PM

Try to run the processor at stock speeds. See if that helps any. Also, maybe the latencies on your memory may be too low? What graphics driver version do you have. If it's a recent one, it may be unstable, so you might have to revert to a previous version that is a little older older, but more stable.
September 17, 2012 6:27:46 PM

How do i force it to Dx9?
Also, does my score for 3dmark11 physics look good? If there bad then it is probably a cpu issue. I can't find any stock speed 3dmark11 scores for my processor...

I was thinking that it was un-optimized too after remembering i have a similar problem in metro.

Pics

Here's lighting and smoke:
Shot at 2012-09-17

Here's no lighting and smoke:
Shot at 2012-09-17

Another example of weird performance:
Shot at 2012-09-17

All these pics are with advanced phys off! :p 

I will definitely try older drivers! Maybe 12.6?
September 17, 2012 6:29:31 PM

The middle one is no lighting and smoke. And it's around 48 - my average Fps.
All of these are everything maxed- except MSAA x4, advanced phys, and depth of field.
September 17, 2012 6:41:16 PM

Well i get i think like 12-15 fps? Can't remember...

Maybe if i disable four cores? you think that may help? I guess it's always worth a try.
September 17, 2012 6:45:47 PM

If its on steam right click on it in your library, then properties, set launch options.

Add "-dx9" without quotations into the box and run.

Tbh not sure how to do it through windows.... Trying older graphics drivers sounds good too....

I don't think your CPU is the issue, Im almost certain I have seen people playing crysis on the 1100t.
September 17, 2012 6:51:27 PM

I don't have the steam version... :( 

I'm curios if its just lighting and smoke that is my issue...
September 17, 2012 7:19:09 PM

those pictures are from metro2033 not crysis.

You have enough machine to run Crysis comfortably. Perhaps disabling 4 of the cores might help but I ran it on a quad with no problem so I think that suggestion is moot.

is the memory running right and is it in the correct slots ? don't know why you would get a physx score with an amd card ? ( benchmarked physics maybe ) but not in the game.

i see you tried to over clock. reset the cmos and leave stuff alone and try to run the game.

and if you tried to over clock the video card set that to stock also.

edit......... update the BIOS. It may not be optimized for the 6core processor.
September 17, 2012 7:29:11 PM

I showed the metro as an example of weird lighting/effects issues, and to mention that i have this problem in more than one area.

I have the latest bios for my board. But i'll definitely Cmos jump and run my card at stock speeds!
September 17, 2012 7:36:27 PM

the lighting....... some games call that bloom I think. not sure if that's an option in crysis though.
September 17, 2012 7:42:45 PM

Bloom is to do with Dynamic range, like your eyes adjusting from very bright to very dark areas, It does put more stress on the GPU though.

Its just particle effects, but you don't notice any drops in performance in BF3?

Edit: How did it go with other drivers?

September 17, 2012 7:51:15 PM

I have not changed drivers yet.- that is my next step!

I did a cmos jump, ran everything stock, and put the game in Dx9.
It was odd what it yielded. It was the EXACT same performance but by a 2fps increase lol.

My system takes bf3 and eats it alive lol
September 17, 2012 8:00:28 PM

Well the increase was to be expected, you could probably ignore that though.

Maybe BigMack70 is on to something, the CPU may not be able to handle physics in games that dont fully utilize quad cores or above.

Just find it strange as my old rig was a 955be and a 570 and it could handle crysis fine, no sudden drops or anything. Pretty similar by gaming standards to your setup.
September 17, 2012 8:10:40 PM

I know, it is weird. :p 
I just played battlefield 3 all MAXED. With a max of 63 and an average of 43 fps.
The lowest it became was 36 fps.- This was on two different missions.
September 17, 2012 8:11:13 PM

I ran crysis on an Intel q9550/gtx260 lightning/DX10/19x12/maxed but for motion blur and never had a problem with it. There has to be something else.

the ram amount sound wacky. try running in dual channel.

see if you can find a firmware update for the processor.
September 18, 2012 6:07:08 PM

Okay, so i ran it, dual channel, 4gigs of mem running at 1066.

I also put in my OLD Amd athlon 64 4200+ cpu.
-It was a lost cause lol

All in all, the performance was still terrible, even WORSE. lol

I didn't know you could update a firmwire on a cpu... How do you do this?

And i can't find any old amd drivers. :/ 
September 18, 2012 7:04:44 PM

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/...

Not sure what swifty_morgan meant, maybe a mobo bios update?

Let us know how the drivers go....

Starting to run out of ideas, but still think it should be working fine for you. You could try reinstalling the games fresh or even windows, hate suggesting that but really don't know what else to say at the moment...

September 18, 2012 7:43:12 PM

wait a minute............. go into the BIOS and disable the hybrid graphics.
September 19, 2012 5:57:26 AM

Okay guys, so i've figured out something that is quite odd.

It seems that crysis one doesn't use the full potential of my CPU.

How i was testing:
Shot at 2012-09-18

In game:
Shot at 2012-09-18

in CPU bench mark for crysis:
Shot at 2012-09-18

As you can see, i'm only using the first and sixth core. The sixth core is around 90%-99%.

While the first is 40-50...

Maybe you guys know the solution, or maybe, this is just normal. I don't know...

I did try different drivers though. Didn't work, same performance.

I couldn't find hybrid graphics in my bios. :/  I'm going to look into that though.

Edit: The benchmark that is built in the game, makes my 3rd core active.
Also, it's actually around 30-40% cpu usage during game.
September 19, 2012 6:12:31 AM

paddys09 said:
If its on steam right click on it in your library, then properties, set launch options.

Add "-dx9" without quotations into the box and run.

Tbh not sure how to do it through windows.... Trying older graphics drivers sounds good too....

I don't think your CPU is the issue, Im almost certain I have seen people playing crysis on the 1100t.

I was also un-successful with this, it didn't work.

With non-steam versions, you just go to properties and go to the target line and add "-dx9".

I was still seeing bad performance...
September 19, 2012 5:15:20 PM

BigMack70 said:
Like I said, Crysis is at most going to use 2 CPU cores so the fact that you have 6 is irrelevant. Your CPU is not a good one for Crysis, and I really think you're seeing CPU bottlenecking - it sounds unlikely but all the symptoms fit.

Well is there anyway to fix this?

Should i just enable the first and the sixth? I Already only disabled four cores and had the 1 and 2 active; but saw the same performance... :pfff: 
September 20, 2012 7:52:35 PM

Best answer selected by Djentleman.
September 20, 2012 7:52:52 PM

Alright bigmack, thanks for all the help!
And to everybody else that helped me with this!
September 20, 2012 8:09:16 PM

all this regardless of the fact that his hardware is more than good enough to run the game maxed out................ but you still haven't explained the idiotic amount of memory ( in detail ) and the fact that it can't possible be running the way it should......... your machine.......... have fun with it.
September 22, 2012 7:07:59 PM

Sorry it took me so long to reply... :/  I've been dealing with a very bad flu

I know but i have tried everything. Even a fresh install of 7!

Well, the reason i have five gigs (which i switched it to four to see if that would help). Was because i had an extra gig kickin' around and also the fact that i used to have six. But this changed after one of my sticks failed.

If you have more ideas, i'm more than willing to try them!
September 22, 2012 7:28:57 PM

specifically what was the memory................

glad you're feeling better. stay away from my house for a couple of weeks.
September 22, 2012 8:03:46 PM

800 mhz ddr2
I have four gigs right now. So it's running dual channel

Sure will, i don't feel like going anywhere soon! lol :p 
!