Sign in with
Your question

Advice on new build compatability

Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 10:16:04 AM

Hello everyone. Just joined the forums and have been reading through some of the threads. Already learning a lot.

This will be my first build, so I'm still quite new to many concepts of computer building. I'll primarily be using this rig for some casual gaming and browsing. I'll probably add some more features later down the road, but want to get the essentials soon (In the next few weeks if possible). So far the budget is looking to be around $600-$700. I'll be borrowing a monitor from a friend, so that will not be included in the budget. Yes, I need to buy an OS.
I've been looking primarily on Newegg (Not sure what other sites are reputable at the moment?). I don't see any overclocking in the near future, but who knows - I will get a better heatsink fan if I do. I'll be buying the GPU after the main build - thinking of getting the GTX 660 ti.
So, onto the basis of this thread: Are all of these parts compatible with each other, and does anyone have any advice on any upgrades/downgrades? Thanks a lot in advance. :) 

MB: MSI Z77A-G41 LGA

CPU: i5-2500K Sandy Bridge

PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM

RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB

CD/DVD Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912

GPU (Not included in initial budget): GTX 660 ti

November 13, 2012 10:34:00 AM

Thanks for the input. :) 
Are there more benefits to changing to Ivy opposed to Sandy Bridge CPUs?
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2012 10:46:23 AM

5% to 15% increase in CPU performance
25% to 68% increase in integrated GPU performance
less power consumption
m
l
November 13, 2012 1:00:14 PM

Isn't that kingston ram 1.65 v? Get a set of Corsair Vengeance LP if so.
m
l
!