Your question

Static electricity query

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Components
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 13, 2012 10:33:21 AM

Hi, i am quite new to PC building, i have all my components my question is do i need to get an anti static wrist band or will i be ok without one, thanks in advance

More about : static electricity query

November 13, 2012 11:09:43 AM

I typically work without one; but I always work on a hard surface, and always touch the (metal) case of the PC just before touching any components. While I'm working inside the case, I rest my wrists on the case to stay discharged.

I've heard that you should install the PSU and keep it plugged in to the wall (but switched off I assume) to link the case to earth ground in your house, but I've never practiced this myself.
November 13, 2012 11:22:22 AM

Interesting ^^
Related resources
November 13, 2012 11:34:55 AM

basically as long as you play it safe and don't set your PC down on a carpet whilst you wear your comfy wool socks, you should be fine without one.

I personally have never used a wrist strap, for as long as you are careful and properly discharge yourself before handling components you should be fine.
November 13, 2012 11:45:27 AM

lol to the last comment and ok thanks guys i will do without :) 
November 13, 2012 12:37:29 PM

I too have never used a wrist strap and I work with my shirt off just to minimize the static further lol.
November 13, 2012 12:46:43 PM

If you have proper grounding equipment you should use it. As you can see, it will put you light years ahead of the majority here. There are countless posts here daily sighting undiagnosable problems that could easily be caused by static discharge.
November 13, 2012 12:51:06 PM

You just have to remember to touch the case so that the electricity in you is the same as in the case. To have the case grounded you need to keep your power supply plugged into the wall outlet and the grounds from the power supply connected some how to the case, from the MB or however you deem necessary. I have never worked with a wrist strap in my personal computer building. In a professional environment I have.
November 13, 2012 1:25:00 PM

ram1009 said:
If you have proper grounding equipment you should use it. As you can see, it will put you light years ahead of the majority here. There are countless posts here daily sighting undiagnosable problems that could easily be caused by static discharge.

If you tend to forget to keep yourself grounded, you should use a grounding strap, but electrically there is no difference between using a static strap to ground yourself to the case and touching the case with your skin (hand/forearm).

If you are mindful of what you are doing, and keep yourself grounded then you won't have problems...
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 1:57:31 PM

Voltage as low as 30V can damage components. You won't feel it until it is around 300V iirc. While I admit to not always using an anti-static strap, I have one, and do try to use it, especially if I'm building for someone else. I also take other steps, like preparing my work area to minimize movement, building in bare feet, not rolling around in a chair, careful handling, and regular touches on metal if I'm not wearing the strap. I too will have the PSU plugged in but turned off (you don't want +5VSB flowing); the PSU's fan grill is where I often clip the strap.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 13, 2012 3:11:42 PM

^ Good response.
For a little education, Take a gander ar some of these : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/370465-31-static-elec...

Many damage computer componets and the part does not fail until later. They then blame the manuf. (Called walking wounded)

The season is getting onto winter time and LOW humidity. That means ESD is much more prevalant. Touching a case periodically does very little if RH is <30%.

A part can be damaged just by pring your pinky very close - DO NOT have to, as some say, touch connector pins.

Bootom line. Leave all parts in antistatic bag. Install PSU in case, Turn PSU rocker switch off an plug PSU into outlet.

PS one difference between using a grounding stap and Holding on to the Case - The grounding stap has an internal 1 megohm resistor - Less of a tingle if you happen to touch 120VAC -LOL.
November 13, 2012 3:27:00 PM

Like many things - you cannot undo the damage caused by static discharge. If you have conductive surface and wrist straps they should be used. Many fet devices have a max gate voltage of +/-20v. In winter when humidity is low(northern hemisphere) static can be a bigger problem. If you don't have the proper equipment, the use of a grounded case will help. Lay your components in their anti static bags on the case and make sure you touch the case before you handle them.
-Bruce
!