Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from 9800GX2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2012 7:15:17 AM

I have had major issues with my 9800GX2 since I bought it, mostly driver crashes but changing or upgrading drivers makes no difference and hours on end of changing settings is no help either. I am starting to believe the 9800GX2 cards were junk from the beginning and thats why they disappeared so fast.

I am looking at either the GTX670 or GTX680 as a replacement. Current system specs below but my question is with my current mb being pcie 2.0 can I put a pcie 3.0 card on that board? Also any recommendations on which of the above gpu's would be better to get. I keep seeing a lot of posts of people having problems with both of these cards so I wanted a little more input.

Current System:
XFX nForce 790i Ultra 3-Way SLI
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6700
Ultra ChillTec CPU cooler
XFX GeForce 9800 GX2
4 Gig Ram
1000 Watt PSU
Windows XP Pro 32 bit...sorry I keep hearing Win 7 is a resource hog worse than Vista

More about : upgrading 9800gx2

a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 7:52:31 AM

I too was sold on the 9800GX2 but went back to dual 8800GT (G92) until I forced to upgrade. not sure what the deal was there, but at least XFX offers the Double Lifetime Warranty, else wil upgrade you cards without much trouble. Personal I have great service, if not product from them. Back to topic, a single card make more sense fpr you right now, whether that is true in the future who knows. Either will make for a choice if the price is right.

P.S. I too miss XP, damn them, damn them all to helll!
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 8:54:37 AM

I see a lot of problems with AMD cards to so that doesn't matter much.

The 670 is just a bit slower than the 680, much better bang for buck ratio.

3.0 is compatible with 2.0.

Maybe start thinking about oc-ing the cpu a bit.

Also start thinking maybe about upgrading your os to be able to use more ram, 4G isn't that much.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 9:07:04 AM

Firstly,

No, windows 7 is not as bad as vista.

Secondly, what resolution are you running at? Your CPU will bottleneck a 670 if it is not OC'ed to the hilt.

Thirdly, in my personal opinion you should opt for the 670 MAX as stated by robjordy, much better bang for buck. Also I wouldn't eliminate the RADEON competition offhand.

There are some things they do better. GPGPU compute for one. Which while is not super necessary for now, could be very good to have in future (more and more openCL apps are using this).

Depending what res you run at I would save money for a platform upgrade and assess all of your options.
m
l
September 17, 2012 9:14:13 AM

You would get the most out of your money if you opt for the HD 7950/7970 non reference board and overclock it to 1200 Mhz GPU/6.5 ghz memory which is pretty doable for most cards with voltage increase. Even then, your CPU will most likely bottleneck the card even if you overclock it to 4Ghz and beyond.

Otherwise, I would just hang on for now and get Haswell along with the new generation of video card some time next year altogether.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 9:39:00 AM

"Windows XP Pro 32 bit...sorry I keep hearing Win 7 is a resource hog worse than Vista"

Complete and utter hogwash. I would not touch XP again if you paid me. Windows 7 is lightyears ahead in stability, security, driver support etc. You've also locked yourself in to 4GB RAM max by sticking with 32bit XP.

Anyhow, back on topic: Your CPU will be a major bottleneck for any high-end current generation GPU. If you plan to upgrade the entire system eventually, well and good. Otherwise, even a mid-range modern card (HD6850, GTX560) will match the 9800GX2 performance wise.

Here is the entire hierarchy for reference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:43:44 PM

americanbrian said:
Firstly,

No, windows 7 is not as bad as vista.

Secondly, what resolution are you running at? Your CPU will bottleneck a 670 if it is not OC'ed to the hilt.

Thirdly, in my personal opinion you should opt for the 670 MAX as stated by robjordy, much better bang for buck. Also I wouldn't eliminate the RADEON competition offhand.

There are some things they do better. GPGPU compute for one. Which while is not super necessary for now, could be very good to have in future (more and more openCL apps are using this).

Depending what res you run at I would save money for a platform upgrade and assess all of your options.

Running at 1280x1024, native for my monitor. I was looking a bit more at the two cards and the little more performance from the 680 seems not worth the extra C note. Your talking about bottlnecking the video card I am assuming means my cpu is considerably slower than the video card.

I have been thinking for a while now of upgrading to one of the Core 2 Extremes, since the i series processors hit the market they have dropped a ton in price and I can get one for a couple hundred now. Unfortunately I bought the parts to build my system just before the i series came out, I should have waited a couple more months and I wouldnt still be stuck with socket 775.

That still leaves a bit more memory and Win 7 upgrades I just dont want to drop another $2k on upgrades again. Wife had a heart attack when I put $2200 into building this current one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 7:00:54 AM

Strange as it may sound, playing at a higher resolution may actually improve the situation since it moves the load more towards your GPU. 1280x1024 is quite low and thus more CPU bound. Try and borrow another screen from somewhere and give it a try.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2012 8:32:21 AM

^^ I agree, That monitor needs an upgrade more than any other component.

I would suggest a 7870 and a new monitor for the cost of the 670, you would see a radically more pleasing experience...
m
l
!